At the Mountians of Madness, by H.P. Lovecraft

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

At the Mountians of Madness, by H.P. Lovecraft

Post by Omphalos »

I love this cover.

Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Yes, that is nice. :)

I'm rather fond of the title story...although it's been a good while since I've reread it.

(Edit: I was assuming this was a collection containing more than just the novella. Is it? If not, just ignore me. :D )
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

This particular edition has only the title story, a long essay on the horror genre, and an introduction by China Meiville. I bought this one because I didn't want all the other stuff that usually comes with it. I have a similar edition of Shadow over Innsmouth that I will get to shortly.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

OK. :)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Youre a Lovecraft fan from way back, right? I think I saw you post that when I put up a link to all of his works over in the fiction thread.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:D

Yep.

I read a lot of him in high school, my early college years.

A year or so ago I ordered some paperback collections...planned to reread, but never quite got around to it. :(

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

He didn't ever write any novels, did he? I don't think he did, but I heard someone talking on another board a few days ago about novel length pieces Lovecraft had written. I pointed out that he had written a few novellas, and that guy blew me off. Do you know if I'm missing something here?

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Yes, that is nice. :)
Those little black dots at the bottom of the main frame above the letters "C" & "R" in "Lovecraft" are people. I bet that scene is fraking awesome in real life.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

I've read some of his letters to other writers, Robert E. Howard in particular, some of them could be considered novels :wink:

I have two or three of the collected trade paperbacks somewhere, I enjoy reading a few pieces every now and then.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
SpacemanSpiff

Post by SpacemanSpiff »

according to the biography I read he did not write any novels.
Although many of his friends tried to convince him to.
He was an odd character. He deplored the neccessity
of taking pay for his writing as he considered it art and
thought that a true artist should not except pay for his work.
He lived very frugaly was married for only four years and spent most of his life living with maiden aunts.
Some of this may be due to his parents both of whom were rather unstable. in fact his father died in an insane asylum.

Dispite the exintricities of the author I still enjoy his work quite alot although some of it can be a bit dated. The atmosphere of creepiness just permiates all of his stories leading to the effect that there is more to whats going om that just what's revealed by the author.
Most of the aliens we have met in our exploration of the galaxy consider humans to be quite tasty. Well I say, If they have no problem with consuming another sentient being then I have no problem with blasting them into a pile of ashes.

(SpacemanSpiff: Testifying before the United Planets subcommittee for the advancement of galactic peace)

Return to “Book Reviews”