The Martian General's Daughter, by Theodore Judson

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

The Martian General's Daughter, by Theodore Judson

Post by Omphalos »

Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Hmm.

Read your review, looked at the Amazon page, decided to lob it onto my SciFi wishlist.

Have you read his Fitzpatrick's War? It sounded a bit more to my tastes at the moment, so I put it in my cart...which is gradually approaching critical mass again. ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Hmm.

Read your review, looked at the Amazon page, decided to lob it onto my SciFi wishlist.

Have you read his Fitzpatrick's War? It sounded a bit more to my tastes at the moment, so I put it in my cart...which is gradually approaching critical mass again. ;)
Have not read that yet, but its on my list now too. It got better overall reviews than this one.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I went ahead and put this one on my list, but overall its vision sounds kinda bleak.

And while that adjective fairly accurately describes my own outlook most of the time, I have to be in the right mood to read it. ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:I went ahead and put this one on my list, but overall its vision sounds kinda bleak.

And while that adjective fairly accurately describes my own outlook most of the time, I have to be in the right mood to read it. ;)
That is a point I probably should have made in the review. Fuck! Another update! :evil:

Its not as dark and gloomy as it sounds. sure, the Empire is contracting, and tech is dying, and millions of people die, but it really is not an overly dark book, and it certainly does not end on a gloomy note. The General and his daughter are both pretty pragmatic, and most of the people in Garden City ignore the negative stuff. Judson doesnt, but he doesnt focus on it either.

The more I think about this one the more I like it. Really, the only bad things I have to say is that occasionally the author is given to hyperbole, and some of his characters are flat. He also tends to paint collective action in the extreme, but certainly not as badly as KJA.

Return to “Book Reviews”