The Unit, by Terry DeHart

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

The Unit, by Terry DeHart

Post by Omphalos »

I know he can't be trusted. In this new reality, there are only two groups of people: good people who can't be trusted, and bad ones who need to be avoided or shot.
Terry DeHart's 2010 novel The Unit is a post-apocalyptic family drama that is full of polemic, and woe. Over the last several years there has been a cornucopia of disaster and post-apocalyptic novels. This one rides the bridge between SF fabulation and survivalist manifesto, failing to accomplish the goal of either genre sub-category. Crafty and ingenious survivalism? Fail! Cautionary tale where the world dies as a result of the opening of Pandora's Box? Nope, not really. The Unit is a watery stew of cliché about survivalism, neo-Christianity, and right wing wish fulfillment that examines its topic by putting a hard-edged family of four through the wringer by marching them through one travesty after another in a post nuclear Northern California landscape. I probably could have done without reading this, and I’m even more disappointed to find out that Orbit has advanced money for two more entries in a trilogy...Please click here, or on the book cover above, to be taken to the complete review..
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Serkanner

Re: The Unit, by Terry DeHart

Post by Serkanner »

Thank you for reading this ... now I don't have to.

Return to “Book Reviews”