Starbound, by Joe Haldeman

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Starbound, by Joe Haldeman

Post by Omphalos »

A few years ago Joe Haldeman wrote a Heinlein-inspired coming-of-age novel about a young woman who traveled with her family to Mars where she became embroiled in an alien plot to control humanity. Carmen Dula, the young girl, became a pariah in the eyes of some, and a hero in the eyes of others when the conflict reached a head - ostensibly because of Carmen's failure - and the aliens struck out and nearly destroyed the Earth. Haldeman's newest novel is called Starbound. It's the first sequel to Marsbound and continues the story just shy of ten years after the end of the first book. The repressive governments of Earth have unified somewhat and become even more repressive out of fear of the Others; the aliens who attacked. To deal with the problem they have started constructing a fleet of warships to travel to a distant star called Wolf 25, the home of the Others. But in one last attempt at peace they have built the Ad Astra, an unarmed flying iceberg equipped with engines powered by Martian technology that is capable of traversing the 25 light years between Wolf 25 and Sol in twelve short years. Crewed by seven humans and two Martians, the people of Earth fear that the Ad Astra will reach Wolf 25 more like the Flying Dutchman than a ship of peace...Please click here, or on the book cover above, to be taken to the complete review..
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Re: Starbound, by Joe Haldeman

Post by SandChigger »

Wow. I'm kinda glad now I never followed up on this one. (I remember asking about Mars-related series and you mentioned the first book. Bint-centric coming-of-age tale ... idea didn't do anything for me then or now. :) )
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Good to know that I can't just grab a book by him at random and expect it to be great... oh well.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

The first one was pluckier than this one, and that lent it some charm. This one is just a plain ole' mess.

Now seriously guys, comment over on the blog please!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:oops:

Sorrrrrrry! :)

Return to “Book Reviews”