The Eyes of Heisenberg, by Frank Herbert

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

The Eyes of Heisenberg, by Frank Herbert

Post by Omphalos »

Frank Herbert's 1966 dystopic medical thriller The Eyes of Heisenberg is, like many of his other novel length stories, an expansion on an earlier short story. This book found its genesis in Herbert's 1956 Galaxy-published short story Do I Sleep or Wake. It is the story of a far-future race of human drones that are watched over by a benevolent yet distanced cadre of genetically modified immortals called the Optimen. At least, that is how it seems. The ordinary people of this world - The Folk - feel comfort from the presence of the Optimen, who promised to guard them and make their lives whole. "They are the power that loves and cares for us," the Folk say. It takes little time for Herbert to make clear that the catchy slogans of the Folk really don’t reflect reality. The Optimen live gilded lives in enormous castles and though they were once as human as the Folk over which they rule, they remember little of the mortal lives they lived 8,000 years prior. The Eyes of Heisenberg is the story of two groups of immortal post-human powers who vie for control of the world, and a group of ordinary humans who seek to recapture the most basic of human rights; the right to reproduce...Please click here, or on the book cover above, to be taken to the complete review..
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
inhuien

Re: The Eyes of Heisenberg, by Frank Herbert

Post by inhuien »

I completely forgot this book had a middle, memories eye only focused on the beginning and end. Thanks for the refresher. :)
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech

Return to “Book Reviews”