The Caves of Steel, by Isaac Asimov

Links to the book review pages
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

The Caves of Steel, by Isaac Asimov

Post by Omphalos »

Throughout most of my childhood I was a pretty big SF fan, and back then Isaac Asimov was one of my favorite writers. When I started reading SF back in the late 1970's in Washington D.C. it was not easy to find many of his books, but one day my dad took me to a used book shop and I convinced him to buy me a pile of beat-up old paperback Asimov novels. I am pretty sure that The Caves of Steel was among those books, so it would probably have been around 1979 or 1980 that I first read it. I remember being a little shocked at the time. As a boy I was incapable of expressing my feelings about the book the way that I am now, but I remember being a little frightened by the imagery of this story. But I also remember loving it. To this day The Caves of Steel is the only book I have ever reread immediately, right after the first time I finished it. I know that I tend to be hard on Asimov; just take a look at the other reviews that I have published here about his books. I am forever knocking him for his sense of gallantry, his overblown syntax, and his tendency towards mind-numbing detail, especially when it comes to logical deduction and argumentation. This book certainly has those things in it. I honestly do not think it would be an Asimov book without them, but everything else about this book is incredible, even if as I sit here in 2009 some of the concepts are so dulled by time that I typically read over them without even noticing when they appear in modern stories...Please click here, or on the book cover above, to be taken to the complete review..
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Freakzilla
Archivist

Re: The Caves of Steel, by Isaac Asimov

Post by Freakzilla »

Loved it.

What did he die of?
A missing chest.

:P
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
The Phantom

Re: The Caves of Steel, by Isaac Asimov

Post by The Phantom »

great novel. the robot novels are probably my favourite Asimov books.
I am not my own.

Return to “Book Reviews”