Mythology Forums

Old, never used mythology topics
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Mythology Forums

Post by Omphalos »

Pardot Kynes is going to be the moderator around these here parts (something about the word "Pard" in that name just makes me want to sound like a cowboy!), so please restrict your posts to this thread until he figures out where he would like to go.

This section will expand as time goes by. I plan on moving the fable topic over here, and eventually starting up one for fairy tales and the Arthurian Legend. Pardot Kynes has some ideas for expansion too. Let Pard or me hear if you have any ideas or requests!
Last edited by Omphalos on Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Cool. :D
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Damn dude, you fast.
Pardot Kynes

For Now

Post by Pardot Kynes »

This will be a read only forum, unless someone wants to start some discussion on a myth in the stickied topics I will put up.
I will be transcribing different myths here, until, eventually, we will have a near-complete collection of myths here on these forums.

I will be starting with Greek. If you know any Greek myths, or have a copy of Bulfinch's handy, and want to help, let me know. Send me a list of whatever myths you want to copy, and it shall be done.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

What did you have in mind exactly, Pardot. How can we help? Just put the myths from Bulfinches in here?

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Well, if you feel like writing a myth up from something like that, that's what I'm starting with. The other stuff will have to come after that- I am going to write a synopsis comparing each with its archaic roots to modern beliefs and whether it has had any impact on Western culture. I will then, in a third post, find several images that correspond with each myth, such as a movie cover to prove myths still exist in pop culture.

First things first though- I need people to type up myths. I prefer Bullfinches, since I'm most familiar with it, but most older mythology books are good. Most of the new ones are rubbish... even some of the reprints.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

There should be a thread on Islamic and Jahiliyah Arabian mythology, it would be interesting to see how much Frank Herbert drew on those sources.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Are you interested in doing something in this area, CL?

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

chanilover wrote:There should be a thread on Islamic and Jahiliyah Arabian mythology, it would be interesting to see how much Frank Herbert drew on those sources.
Not my specialty, but if you like, I'll refresh my memory. Hehe.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Omphalos wrote:Are you interested in doing something in this area, CL?
If I did it would probably just be a load of copy and pasted articles from Wikipedia.
kangamouse

WHAT NOT TO DO IN MY SECTION!

Post by kangamouse »

READ THIS TRIPE AT YOUR OWN RISK- IT IS THOROUGHLY UN-RESEARCHED, HAS NOT BEEN SPELL CHECKED, AND WAS WRITTEN BY A GIBBERING MORON. DO ME A FAVOR AND DO NOT FOLLOW HIS EXAMPLE!
~ Pardot

there are five elements of the body removed during mummification process.
4 of these are put into alabaster or clay jars, each with a symbolic head.
the heads may appear abstract & are considered 'deities' by many scholars, which in a way they are.
Here, I intend to explain some of the meanings behind these personifications or deities and their associations with body parts.
In doing so I aim to demystify much of the accepted vagueness perpetuated by scholars & so called experts surrounding egyptology, and reveal how it is a beautiful, very practical and earthy form of shamanism.
To begin with we must remember that the High Civilisation of ancient Egypt emerged from deep African roots; supernatural spirituality is therefore an integral component of the Light Cult, which eventually shed its skin as it mutated ultimately into Christianity and other so-called mainstream religions. I cite this one because of the consequences it has had upon the world.
A living practice of transmigration & ancestor worship has continued in many forms by many other cultures in one form or another as it travelled all over the globe. In most of it, is still the accepted Truth.
kangamouse

Arabian Nights

Post by kangamouse »

Arabic mythology...
Sufism, music, & of course the Thousand and One Nights
sounds beautiful
kangamouse

Djmutef

Post by kangamouse »

Djmutef
is distinct from Anubis although they are portrayed by the same symbol.

This canopic jar contains the entrails; the stomach & its contents, of the mummy.

Dj as in djed, the pillar. Mutef as in mastiff, the dog.

To understand Djmutef one must understand dogs and particularly, the jackal.
The jackal is a scavenger. Egyptian symbolism adores scavengers. having survived the desert, the reverence of scavengers is evident. I would like to imagine that it is by mimicking & following them that humans were able to survive. Jackals are seen at night digging up freshly buried bodies in graveyards, for a meal.

The guts are linked to the instincts; (primarily the instinct for survival).

Recently whilst relaxing in a beautiful green park in s wales, with a couple of friends and a dog, I was entertained to watch the dog sit at the outskirt of our circle; the circle of our perceptions. Which is to say, at the edge of our hearing range. The dog judged this perfectly.
Later as the dog got comfortable with our safety, she moved further away; beyond our range of hearing while we remained within hers.

This taught me a lot about the relationship between canine and homonids, and also leads us cutely onto the next canopic jar in the series.
Last edited by kangamouse on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kangamouse

Horus

Post by kangamouse »

Horus
the falcon head

Ho as in whole (?)
Rus as in Ru also spelled Roah (say)
the two signs together indicate an eye (see)

The importance of the bird of prey in Egyptology cannot be understated.
Horus is from where we get the word; Horizon.

Essentially it means; "everything within our field of perceptions"

The word Pharoah properly means not King but farse'er;
we venerate the one who can see farthest toward the horizon, or in the case of the mystically trained monarch, beyond it.

The very first pharoah was made so by his tribe because written in a cave is his family lineage back eight generations, such was the wisdom of his line.
Can you remember so far back into yours? even today with computerised family-tress it is not so easy, let alone continuing such knowledges in the oral tradition.

Horus, as with most Egyptian deities, is not an abstract, external entity as so often taught by christianised scholars, but a practical system of orientation in the world, beginning with the Self at the centre (of which the heart, seat of the soul, is the centre).

Birds of prey can see further toward the horizon, since they can fly higher than any other species. There is a theory that depictions of women wearing wings in many egyptian texts refers to kite-flyers, that giant, people carrying kites (young girls tending to weigh less than anybody else) were involved with building of the pyramids and communications.

Perhaps this idea is a romantic fiction, however so too was the idea that egyptians had travelled the world on reed boats before the Kon Tiki expedition proved it is possible by doing t in the 1970's. To my knowledge nobody has tried the kite experiment, not at least since the Marks Brothers wonderful flying machines.
kangamouse

Spirit Allies

Post by kangamouse »

At this point I would like to add an interjection.

The very earliest cave paintings show mushroom-headed humans.

The relationship between certain species of hallucinogenic, mind expanding mushrooms and its vital role in human evolution, is excellently researched in Terence McKenna'sbook, Food of the Gods

Egyptian art frequently shows Lotus flowers, which we know the pharoanic line were using, which are also mind expanding substances. There is much research into this; as a resource I suggest starting with Psychedelic Shamanism and moving on to the works of Carlos Casteneda who deals with s american San Pedro cactus and a few other psychotropics.

My research into the Blue and White Lotus worshipped by the ancient egyptians has led me to the conclusion that it has a strong relationship not only with the trance state but with Music.
kangamouse

Hapi

Post by kangamouse »

Hapi

Hapi is a baboon head.

I have yet to further research this particular deity.

the final jar has the head of a human.

I'll let you know when I get there...
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

The Wikipedia article on canopic jars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canopic_jar) is unfortunately rather underdeveloped at present, but googling turns up around 99,000 hits. Presumably some percentage of those will contain information of more substance than the above.

If you don't mind getting your info from "scholars & so called experts [in] egyptology". :roll:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Its going to take me awhile. Been busy with work.
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Despite several other things that bugged me, such as sweeping generalizations, here is something you should know.

Pharaoh originally meant the palace of the king. Literally, it means "Great House". After thousands of years in the Pre-Old Kingdom, and the beginning of the Old Kingdom, this word became interchangeable with the word for King, as the King, now called Pharaoh, was seen as a temple, or Great House, for godly powers, insight, and wisdom.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Pardot Kynes wrote:Its going to take me awhile. Been busy with work.
Whenever you can get to it, Pard, its fine with me. The threads will be waiting for when you can get to them.

I personally cant wait to get going, though. Im really anticipating some cool discussion.

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

I'm currently going for my second PHD, while working as a consultant on a dig in the med.

So, I'm rather pressed for time- but I'll see what I can put up.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Pardot, I posted about the Horus one (and mentioned the pharoah mistake) a while back in this comment in another thread. I haven't bothered going through the rest, but I imagine they are equally suss.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Overachievers. :roll:

:)

(Where's the dig, if you can say? Or what period/civ?)

Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Pardot Kynes wrote:I'm currently going for my second PHD, while working as a consultant on a dig in the med.

So, I'm rather pressed for time- but I'll see what I can put up.
Are you an archaeologist also? Sorry if I missed this already.....
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Aye.

Thanks for the linky.
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Not supposed to talk about it much but it has to do with the Minoans.

And no, I am not. I am an expert on classical mythology and religion (basically ancient sociology). My second PHD is in more the archaeological field, however.

I'm the guy that interprets the shit they find in the terms of how it fit into their culture.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Wait just one fucking minute. How the fuck did kangamouse have the authority to post a fucking sticky topic around here???????

Did kangamouse crack my fucking board?

Edit: Oh, did Pard move this from the Egypitan thread and sticky it himself? OK then. Sorry guys!

Tleilax Master B

Pardot Kynes wrote:Not supposed to talk about it much but it has to do with the Minoans.

And no, I am not. I am an expert on classical mythology and religion (basically ancient sociology). My second PHD is in more the archaeological field, however.

I'm the guy that interprets the shit they find in the terms of how it fit into their culture.
The reason I ask is I am an archaeologist. I run a culutral resource division for the Army. My specialty is Southwest Archaeology, but in particular Jornada Mogollon culture. I also do work as a Human Osteologist and Zooarchaeologist.

Sounds like what you are doing is quite cool!
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I also do work as a Human Osteologist and Zooarchaeologist.
Bones and ancient animals?

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

Yea, Pardot!

(I was freaked out when I saw the edited title for this, too, Omph! :D )

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Cool. :D

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Omphalos wrote:Wait just one fucking minute. How the fuck did kangamouse have the authority to post a fucking sticky topic around here???????

Edit: Oh, did Pard move this from the Egypitan thread and sticky it himself? OK then. Sorry guys!
ya.... that was the lil' message from me that I edited into the first post.
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Pardot Kynes wrote:Not supposed to talk about it much but it has to do with the Minoans.

The reason I ask is I am an archaeologist. I run a culutral resource division for the Army. My specialty is Southwest Archaeology, but in particular Jornada Mogollon culture. I also do work as a Human Osteologist and Zooarchaeologist.

Sounds like what you are doing is quite cool!
Bones.... bleah.

I don't like dead bodies. I prefer the live ones :P Sounds interesting though.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Pardot Kynes wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Wait just one fucking minute. How the fuck did kangamouse have the authority to post a fucking sticky topic around here???????

ya.... that was the lil' message from me that I edited into the first post.
:oops:

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Its okay. Your getting older :P
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Pardot Kynes wrote::lol:

Its okay. Your getting older :P
What's that sonny?

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Put on your reading glasses :wink:
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I can't find them. Oh. Here they are around my neck!

Ow! My back!

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Go lay down and take some bayer.
Tleilax Master B

Omphalos wrote:
I also do work as a Human Osteologist and Zooarchaeologist.
Bones and ancient animals?
You got it. I identify human remains (and conduct analysis) as well as faunal material from prehistoric sites. I don't do much of that anymore because I'm a damn desk jockey bureaucrat now :cry: Now I contract it to others using your tax dollars! :D
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

In other words, me no likey YOU, because you don't pay ME enough :lol:
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

B is now "The Man."

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Aye.
Tleilax Master B

Hehe, damn, when did it happen? It crept up on me! :wink:
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

When your office shorted me by 10k buckaroos last year :P
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Pardot Kynes wrote:When your office shorted me by 10k buckaroos last year :P
Goddam feds.

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

I was supposed to have a grant for scholarly research, but it didn't happen. Oh well.
Tleilax Master B

Tleilax Master B wrote:Hehe, damn, when did it happen? It crept up on me! :wink:
Wasn't me!! Actually, I spent several million dollars on archaeology the last couple of years. Other installations are dumbfounded when they hear what my budget is. I'm good at squeezing money out of these fucking jarheads for stuff unrelated to killing everyone :D
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Hehe. Neat.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:Hehe, damn, when did it happen? It crept up on me! :wink:
Wasn't me!! Actually, I spent several million dollars on archaeology the last couple of years. Other installations are dumbfounded when they hear what my budget is. I'm good at squeezing money out of these fucking jarheads for stuff unrelated to killing everyone :D
You're on native land by treaty though, arent you?

Tleilax Master B

Omphalos wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
You're on native land by treaty though, arent you?
Nope, well, I mean other than the Treaty of Quadalupe but it was mostly the Mexicans that got screwed on that deal. :) We have some Traditional Cultural Properties and some Sacred sites.

Unfortunately, the Army really tries to treat Tribal consultation as a "check the box" kind of thing. They seems to miss the "meaningful" part in the regs as well as the "reasonable and good faith effort." I've had a very hard time convincing them to fullfil that, but I have made significant improvements. Of course, in the end the Federal Agency makes and documents their final decision decisions regardless of the outcome of consulation and moves one. Its up to someone to take them to court to stop the undertaking being consulted on. Its kind of a screw job for the Tribes actually (as usual).

I definately don't get any funding for archaeology because of tribal interests. And none of the Tribes here can demonstrate a relationship with the prehistoric culture, so they don't get any claims to the goods or their disposition (with the exception of Human remains and furnery objects; NAGPRA is a whole different ball game...). Their claims are to the landscape and traditional use areas, which I try to accomodate as much as the brass will allow me......
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

You mean that site in Crete?
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Nope. Its a new site, which is why I'm not supposed to talk about it. I haven't even been there yet.
:cry:

Return to “Bulfinch's Mythology (1881)”