CHOAM

Start topics here about Dune that are not bloody likely to be screwed with by me.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

CHOAM

Post by Omphalos »

Cool, huh? From here
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

That's great!
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

My favorites were Soylent Green and Baby food... :)

Must be the cannibal in me... :shock:
Neutrinos watch alert !

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

I'm choking from "The Road" Portable Meal Systems Baby Food, as I'm sure you knew I would (only 40 pages left to go) :)

I like the Tyrell and Pulse Rifle adds the best. The Fahrenheit 451 advert is also quite clever. :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Did you ever hear that urban legend about when Gerber tried to market its products in central Africa? In the 50's or 60's or so when they did it most of the population was presumed to be illiterate, so manufacturers generally put a picture of whatever was in the can on the label. Gerber had pictures of babies on the labels, and supposedly people really thought that diced infants were in the bottles.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:Did you ever hear that urban legend about when Gerber tried to market its products in central Africa? In the 50's or 60's or so when they did it most of the population was presumed to be illiterate, so manufacturers generally put a picture of whatever was in the can on the label. Gerber had pictures of babies on the labels, and supposedly people really thought that diced infants were in the bottles.
http://www.snopes.com/business/market/babyfood.asp
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos
No, I've never heard that particular urban legend. It sounds more unbelievable than most.

Nekhrun
Wow, that fella really spent some time thinking about that urban legend. Maybe a bit too much time :)
I do like his point about learned experience. My favorite quote is:
"...and that fried chicken is not something one purchases in a can"
:lol: :lol:

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

GamePlayer wrote:
"...and that fried chicken is not something one purchases in a can"
...yet.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:roll:

I swear, you people are just SO behind the times.

Yakitori in a can! :lol:

(I've tried a different brand. It's not bad. But then again, what was it Cervantes wrote about hunger....)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
A Thing of Eternity

Sheesh, why must Japan be ahead in every conceivable way? :lol:
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Canned bread is not what I'd call "ahead", not in any way, inconceivable or otherwise :)

A Thing of Eternity

GamePlayer wrote:Canned bread is not what I'd call "ahead", not in any way, inconceivable or otherwise :)
Dude - canned Fried Chicken not bread! :lol: I'm not sure if that's actually ahead either...
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

You're not sure that's ahead? I'm still not sure its meat.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

And what wood
one meat
in the road...
a head?!

High up
upon the mountain
pines
my broken heart.

Bred for canning
chook chook chook
unbreaded.
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.

Return to “Dune Talk”