A real prize....

Start topics here about Dune that are not bloody likely to be screwed with by me.

A real prize....

Postby Liege-Killer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:06 pm

Hey, you all like contests, right?

Here you go, then.

I know you'll be all over it.

Good luck! (Ummm yeah, good luck would be NOT to win....) :lol:

Maybe we should all leave comments there about the quality of their giveaway selections.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
User avatar
Liege-Killer
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:06 am

Postby SandChigger » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:19 pm

Comment left. ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Mandy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:03 pm

lol.. I just left a no thank you comment.
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby Omphalos » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:18 pm

Ahhhhhh. That felt good!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5676
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Liege-Killer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:28 pm

Just added my own comment. :lol:
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
User avatar
Liege-Killer
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:06 am

Postby SandChigger » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:37 pm

I had to go back for seconds. :D
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby SandRider » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:41 am

me too. left 'em byron's email.
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby SandChigger » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:12 am

You agin them there book burnin's, is ya, Billay Bawb?

Well, hawuht dayum! :lol:


I feel kinda bad...did we scare off their regular commenters, or is it always that dead? :shock:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby SandRider » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:59 pm

I am hesitant to correct a man of your knowledge of the English Language,
but I believe there should be a hyphen in "da-yum".
If I am incorrect, my apoligies.
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Freakzilla » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:06 pm

SandRider wrote:I am hesitant to correct a man of your knowledge of the English Language,
but I believe there should be a hyphen in "da-yum".
If I am incorrect, my apoligies.


:lol: You must live in the South.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Postby SandRider » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:40 pm

West Texas, out on the Staked Plains
(as Omph can tell you)
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Freakzilla » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:02 pm

I knew it! :P
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Postby GamePlayer » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:21 pm

A friend of mine once visited Georgia and said the newspaper spelled out "You all" phonetically to "Ya'll" in print. He had only bad things to say about the place, so I never believed him, but I always wondered if it was true :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby SandRider » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:16 pm

User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Freakzilla » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:53 am

GamePlayer wrote:A friend of mine once visited Georgia and said the newspaper spelled out "You all" phonetically to "Ya'll" in print. He had only bad things to say about the place, so I never believed him, but I always wondered if it was true :)


I don't think I've ever seen y'all printed in the paper, unless it was a quote.

Besides, if they printed "ya'll", they were wrong:



y'all

you-all (yōō'ôl')
pron. Chiefly Southern U.S.
You. Used in addressing two or more people or referring to two or more people, one of whom is addressed.

The single most famous feature of Southern United States dialects is the pronoun y'all, sometimes heard in its variant you-all. You-all functions with perfect grammatical regularity as a second person plural pronoun, taking its own possessive you-all's (or less frequently, your-all's, where both parts of the word are inflected for possession): You-all's voices sound alike. Southerners do not, as is sometimes believed, use you-all or y'all for both singular and plural you. A single person may only be addressed as you-all if the speaker implies in the reference other persons not present: Did you-all [you and others] have dinner yet? You and you-all preserve the singular/plural distinction that English used to have in thou and ye, the subject forms of singular and plural you, respectively (thee and you were the singular and plural object forms). The distinction between singular thou/thee and plural ye/you began to blur as early as the 13th century, when the plural form was often used for the singular in formal contexts or to indicate politeness, much as the French use tu for singular and familiar "you," and vous for both plural and polite singular "you." In English, the object form you gradually came to be used in subject position as well, so that the four forms thou, thee, ye, and you collapsed into one form, you. Thou and thee were quite rare in educated speech in the 16th century, and they disappeared completely from standard English in the 18th. However, the distinction between singular and plural you is just as useful as that between other singular and plural pronoun forms, such as I and we. In addition to y'all, other forms for plural you include you-uns, youse, and you guys or youse guys. Youse is common in vernacular varieties in the Northeast, particularly in large cities such as New York and Boston, and is also common in Irish English. You-uns is found in western Pennsylvania and in the Appalachians and probably reflects the Scotch-Irish roots of many European settlers to these regions. You guys and youse guys appear to be newer innovations than the other dialectal forms of plural you. See Note at you-uns.


The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

I like Georgia. It's beautiful and the people for the most part are nice. We've got our problems though, just like anywhere else.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Postby GamePlayer » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:33 am

Yes, I know what "Y'all" is. I was just wondering if my friends story was true or urban legend.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Freakzilla » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:44 am

GamePlayer wrote:Yes, I know what "Y'all" is. I was just wondering if my friends story was true or urban legend.


I was just pointing out that Y'all is a contraction of you all and ya'll doesn't make any sense. I would never use y'all in a business letter or anything professional, I hope others wouldn't either. I must confess that I don't read the paper, I get my news online. But I have in the past and don't recall ever seeing it. I find the use of the contraction perfectly acceptable in conversation except that if gives away my Southern upbringing. Not that I'm ashamed of that.

Like the entry from the dictionary says, people in other parts of the country are just as guilty of other contractions.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Postby GamePlayer » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:52 am

That's more what I was looking for.
So, what's not to like about Georgia? You seem a'ight ;)

"I said Georgia,
Ooh Georgia, no peace I find
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind
"

:)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Freakzilla » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:46 am

GamePlayer wrote:That's more what I was looking for.
So, what's not to like about Georgia? You seem a'ight ;)

"I said Georgia,
Ooh Georgia, no peace I find
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind
"

:)


Hmm...

Traffic is horrible, there's practically no public transportation. It's really hot and sticky in the summer. There's a lot of rednecks and minorities (bad depending on your point-of-view, it's never hard to find someone to hate, is it?) and racial tension (from all sides).

I can't really think of anything else and I had to reach for those.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Postby GamePlayer » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:50 pm

Sounds a lot like my old home province of Alberta, but change the weather to bitterly cold in the winter and you've got a match :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby SandRider » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:55 pm

yeah, but you're in ATL. which, as you know, like all the
major urban centers in the South, (Houston&Birmingham&anyplace over 250K) aint really the south.
Gettin out in the countrysides a whole nother rodeo. (dependin on your color, I guess, too) :?
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Freakzilla » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:28 pm

SandRider wrote:yeah, but you're in ATL. which, as you know, like all the
major urban centers in the South, (Houston&Birmingham&anyplace over 250K) aint really the south.
Gettin out in the countrysides a whole nother rodeo. (dependin on your color, I guess, too) :?


I actually live in Douglasville:

Population (2000)
- Total 20,065
- Density 938.5/sq mi (938.5/km²)
estimated population of 27,568 in 2005.

It's about 30 miles outside Atlanta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglasville,_Georgia
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Postby SandChigger » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:15 pm

I still use you-uns because, like the dictionary says, it preserves a meaningful distinction. I've noticed that you-all is replacing it in the ole home dialect, probably because we use your-all's as the possessive form. (I can't really say that I ever remember hearing anyone say *you-uns's.)


About 500 years from now, Proto-Galach seems to have developed an interesting system, with [yuw] ([ ] indicate pronunciation, not spelling!) as a polite generic second-person pronoun and [tui] and [vui] as more intimate singular and plural versions. :P
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:51 pm

I use y'all daily. Multiple times.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5676
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby The Phantom » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:47 pm

Omphalos wrote:I use y'all daily. Multiple times.


i don't mind the use of y'all... but when people start using 'yous people' ... well let's just say it really grinds my gears :P
User avatar
The Phantom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby SandRider » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:11 pm

meant to add a comment for Freak, but forgot until the topic got bumped-
you had mentioned bad traffic and no public tranportation, so I just assumed you were somewhere in the city ....every now & then I have to go down to San Antonio. Horrible place now. The nearest Little Big Town to me is about 20 miles away, less than 100k population, and I don't care for it much. With the franchising of America and dilution of regional cultures, most major population centers feel & look the same to me now, no matter where they are.
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Freakzilla » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:35 pm

SandRider wrote:meant to add a comment for Freak, but forgot until the topic got bumped-
you had mentioned bad traffic and no public tranportation, so I just assumed you were somewhere in the city ....every now & then I have to go down to San Antonio. Horrible place now. The nearest Little Big Town to me is about 20 miles away, less than 100k population, and I don't care for it much. With the franchising of America and dilution of regional cultures, most major population centers feel & look the same to me now, no matter where they are.


Traffic isn't bad near my house but I work on the other side of town. I live on the West side and work is on the Northeast. The interstate system consists of a loop around Atlanta with an E-W highway and a pair of N-S higways in an X meeting at the hub. It seems like it would work but distribution of people isn't even so it bunches up. If they just had trains going along those highways I bet it would ease up a lot.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA


Return to Dune Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron