The 22 Most Awful Moments in Science Fiction

Start topics here about Dune that are not bloody likely to be screwed with by me.

The 22 Most Awful Moments in Science Fiction

Postby GamePlayer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:35 pm

This is old news (Oct 2007), but I just stumbled on this and can't for the life of me remember if we shared it on DN or Arrakeen. Anyway, when I saw it I instantly thought of all you guys and gals :)

The 22 Most Awful Moments in Science Fiction (see #2)

Enjoy :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby SandChigger » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:45 pm

Hee hee. I hadn't seen that. :D
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Nekhrun » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:19 pm

Did that make it to DN? It's got to get some face time over there. :D
Be right back. :wink:

Edit: okay I'm back.
Last edited by Nekhrun on Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby Omphalos » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:23 pm

Yar! Blocked by the e-nazis, for "tasteless and offensive content!" Well, I guess Ill just have to be offended once I get home, eh?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Freakzilla » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:40 pm

Brian Herbert has not just tarnished his father's legacy, he has ridden atop a burning money train straight down the gullet of his father's dessicated corpse, exploding it in a shower of creepy sex scenes and lame multi-page descriptions of giant robots fighting. Burn in hell forever, Brian Herbert. I hope you slip and fall in that new bathroom.


Harumph! Harumph!
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Postby Nekhrun » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:06 pm

Just checked out my DN post, man that arnoldo is a little bitch. I hate that kid. :evil:
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby Omphalos » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:49 pm

OK! :lol: I'm home now, and that is funny!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Robspierre » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:56 pm

Goddess what a douche!

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.

http://kiltedrobspub.blogspot.com/
User avatar
Robspierre
Archivist
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:52 am
Location: The Cascades of Oregon

Postby Nekhrun » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:44 pm

Robspierre wrote:Goddess what a douche!

You're not kidding. I just checked Arrakeen and he's already posting links to the Something Awful website. That little prick runs crying to Byron and then does that. I guess the writing isn't as offensive if it doesn't interfere with his idol's sales.
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby SandChigger » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:17 pm

Oh, damn. You mean I'm going to have to sully myself perving DN by proxy again? :roll:

:D

Hang on....

Well, shit. The proxy service I've been using till now keeps timing out. I wonder if that means they're onto me?

I kinda get the gist of what's gone on from the above, but anyone care to fill in the details until I can get through? :cry:
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:31 pm

Arnoldo bitched royally on DN about Nekhrun's posting of that link there, saying that it was offensive. He even quoted Byron's rules in large text.

Then he gets interested in the site, found something that he liked that was honestly, probably more offensive than calling Brian a patriamoral corpse-fucker, and posted it on Arrakeen. What a tool!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:28 am

Aw, it's a family feeling. :lol:

I love how every pathetic Preek shit that can operate (sort of) a keyboard at one time or other feels the need to ingratiate himself (or herself?) with Byron and the Herberts with a righteous display of indignation over some slight or other.

Remember when Nebby posted about notifying Byron of the thread on Arrakeen about Frank's...what was it, views on sexuality or something?

YAWN.

(Thanks for the info; now I don't need to bother trying to go over there. ;))
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Tleilax Master B » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:36 am

Omphalos wrote:Arnoldo bitched royally on DN about Nekhrun's posting of that link there, saying that it was offensive. He even quoted Byron's rules in large text.

Then he gets interested in the site, found something that he liked that was honestly, probably more offensive than calling Brian a patriamoral corpse-fucker, and posted it on Arrakeen. What a tool!


Yeah, and the pathetic thing is, he succeeded. The topic has been deleted.
Image
User avatar
Tleilax Master B
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Postby SandChigger » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:40 am

Speaking of Byron and DN, has anyone asked him why he hasn't been back to Arrakeen to discuss those things he claimed we didn't want to discuss? Has he gone on about it any more on DN?

I really did not have him pegged for such a chicken shit.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Tleilax Master B » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:44 am

SandChigger wrote:Speaking of Byron and DN, has anyone asked him why he hasn't been back to Arrakeen to discuss those things he claimed we didn't want to discuss? Has he gone on about it any more on DN?

I really did not have him pegged for such a chicken shit.


Well, he is a chicken shit. But he just posted something in response to a post I put up declaring our victory in the BJ debate---since he no longer responds to it--and says he has been busy in "real life." He also chastised me for basically telling arnoldo to shut up because this didn't "further debate." My response was that the little troll doesn't further debate anyway, his ridiculous out-of-context quotes and comments were meaningless to any real discussion. I'll probably get a warning or some such nonsense. boo hoo :wink:
Image
User avatar
Tleilax Master B
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Postby Nekhrun » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:53 am

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Arnoldo bitched royally on DN about Nekhrun's posting of that link there, saying that it was offensive. He even quoted Byron's rules in large text.

Then he gets interested in the site, found something that he liked that was honestly, probably more offensive than calling Brian a patriamoral corpse-fucker, and posted it on Arrakeen. What a tool!


Yeah, and the pathetic thing is, he succeeded. The topic has been deleted.

Yeah, no PM, no email. He used to talk about how he'd do both of those things if he edited or deleted comments. He's never sent me a message any time he's censored me.
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby Tleilax Master B » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:57 am

Nekhrun wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Arnoldo bitched royally on DN about Nekhrun's posting of that link there, saying that it was offensive. He even quoted Byron's rules in large text.

Then he gets interested in the site, found something that he liked that was honestly, probably more offensive than calling Brian a patriamoral corpse-fucker, and posted it on Arrakeen. What a tool!


Yeah, and the pathetic thing is, he succeeded. The topic has been deleted.

Yeah, no PM, no email. He used to talk about how he'd do both of those things if he edited or deleted comments. He's never sent me a message any time he's censored me.


I sent arnoldo a PM congratulating him on being a successful little cry-baby. I told him to quit being a hypocrite and stopping posting things from that site at 'keen if it disturbs him so much.

Off topic--WTF is "superduperpuck" up to? Jesus, he changed his name and now he is even weirder and more verbose.

And how is it that manbearpig gets to keep posting when Tyrant was banned? He even has the fact he was Tyrant in his signature.

I have an uncontrollable urge to be disruptive over there :twisted:
Image
User avatar
Tleilax Master B
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Postby Tleilax Master B » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:08 am

Oh, this is good too, apparently "preek" is now being edited out of post by the "almighty one"--at least he recognizes its a bad word :D

He sent me a PM to explain it was no longer allowed--because it was derogatory. Sounds to much like "pricks" I guess :D

He also deleted Freakzilla's post in the password topic where Freak said his password was "dune7sucks" :)
Image
User avatar
Tleilax Master B
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Postby SandChigger » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Tleilax Master B wrote:Oh, this is good too, apparently "preek" is now being edited out of post by the "almighty one"--at least he recognizes its a bad word :D

He sent me a PM to explain it was no longer allowed--because it was derogatory. Sounds to much like "pricks" I guess :D

You mean he finally caught on?

God, is he a bit slow, or what? :roll:
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Wow. I wonder if this means that hes ramping up the Newspeak efforts again? I called arnie a troll over there yesterday, but it was in the thread that was deleted.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Nekhrun » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:19 pm

Tleilax Master B wrote: I sent arnoldo a PM congratulating him on being a successful little cry-baby. I told him to quit being a hypocrite and stopping posting things from that site at 'keen if it disturbs him so much.

Good idea. I have an idea for a little message of my own. :twisted:

Tleilax Master B wrote:Off topic--WTF is "superduperpuck" up to? Jesus, he changed his name and now he is even weirder and more verbose.

Don't know, I haven't read one of his posts for over a year now.
Tleilax Master B wrote:And how is it that manbearpig gets to keep posting when Tyrant was banned? He even has the fact he was Tyrant in his signature.

That one baffles me as well, I asked the same question over at DN after the banning. Byron must have a soft spot for his original shit-quel loving persona.
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby Nekhrun » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:27 pm

Omphalos wrote:Wow. I wonder if this means that hes ramping up the Newspeak efforts again? I called arnie a troll over there yesterday, but it was in the thread that was deleted.

He's going to have to get busy, because I started posting over there again today. 8)
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby Omphalos » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:34 pm

Nekhrun wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Wow. I wonder if this means that hes ramping up the Newspeak efforts again? I called arnie a troll over there yesterday, but it was in the thread that was deleted.

He's going to have to get busy, because I started posting over there again today. 8)


I just realized I called arnie an ass-hat over there too, and it didnt get deleted. I seriously think that Byron is fucking with me.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Nekhrun » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:39 pm

Omphalos wrote:I just realized I called arnie an ass-hat over there too, and it didnt get deleted. I seriously think that Byron is fucking with me.
I saw that, how is that okay but preek isn't. I guess people that like the new books are now supposed to be called ass-hats. :wink:
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby Omphalos » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:52 pm

Call this a conspiracy theory if you wish, and call me a crack-pot if you think it (shut up, Ragabash. You too Chig), but Byron honstly leaves me completely alone. I say some of the most ban-worthy things on DN, and I get nothin. I have wondered for a while if Byron has some devious plan going on where he treats different ones of us differently.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Mandy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:53 pm

He wants you.
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby Omphalos » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:00 pm

Ooooo! I stand corrected!

From boardadmin
To Omphalos
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:09 pm
Subject Warning
Warning. Please don't insult other members (Arnoldo: "...that little a$$...).
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby GamePlayer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:55 pm

Your days are numbered, you hairy-armed board bully! :P :D :wink:
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Omphalos » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:03 pm

Out of all the things Ive said and done, who'd a thunk that one would get me in trouble?

Sometimes I feel so low about that place. Its like I cant even log on without thinking about stirring up some crap. I gotta stop going there and stop being such an ass.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Mandy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:49 am

I was addicted to lurking but the new template cured me of that. I haven't been back over there in a while.. have they made the font bigger or do you still have to squint to read the posts?
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby Freakzilla » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:20 pm

Mandy wrote:...or do you still have to squint to read the posts?


You still have to squint.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Postby Mandy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Maybe they're trying to discourage us old farts from participating. :)
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby Omphalos » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:21 pm

The Preeks do seem to be a buncha youngns.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby chanilover » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:29 am

I haven't looked on Dunenovels properly in months. The last time I was on there was in that idiotic thread about robots having souls. I've looked at the site once this year and saw the names of the last people who had posted in the threads - Arnoloco, Superfuckhead and even that retarded hick Hyppo and I couldn't be arsed opening any of the threads. Looks like I've finally lost all interest in even looking at the dump. The thought of posting there again just feels like flogging a dead horse.

What is it about Dune that attracts such mongs to its websites, especially the admins (apart from Omfartloss and Freak)? I can't understand why such a great book is read by such fucktards, unless these people are the fans of those shit Anderson efforts.
Image
chanilover
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Postby GamePlayer » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:49 am

Every fandom is filled with it's own populations of morons, some unique to each sub-fandom, others much more common. A certain percentage of undesirables is only to be expected, since internet communities are unique in that we must interact with those people whom we normally would not.

What I've found unique to online Dune fandom is the unwillingness to ban true forum trolling. Never have I been on non-parody message boards so tolerant they allow trolls to operate almost indiscriminately. On any other message board, users like sloeman, arnoldo, and the like would have long been banned.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Tleilax Master B » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:55 am

Omphalos wrote:Out of all the things Ive said and done, who'd a thunk that one would get me in trouble?

Sometimes I feel so low about that place. Its like I cant even log on without thinking about stirring up some crap. I gotta stop going there and stop being such an ass.


No you don't :D I love it when you post shit like that and get away with it. I'm baffled at what you get away with over there--but I love it.
Image
User avatar
Tleilax Master B
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Postby Omphalos » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:00 am

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Out of all the things Ive said and done, who'd a thunk that one would get me in trouble?

Sometimes I feel so low about that place. Its like I cant even log on without thinking about stirring up some crap. I gotta stop going there and stop being such an ass.


No you don't :D I love it when you post shit like that and get away with it. I'm baffled at what you get away with over there--but I love it.


I think those days are over. Ive been exchanging PM with the 'Ol Dune Dud, and it appears that his tactics with me may have changed. Apparently hes tired of me. Oh well.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Tleilax Master B » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:25 pm

Omphalos wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Out of all the things Ive said and done, who'd a thunk that one would get me in trouble?

Sometimes I feel so low about that place. Its like I cant even log on without thinking about stirring up some crap. I gotta stop going there and stop being such an ass.


No you don't :D I love it when you post shit like that and get away with it. I'm baffled at what you get away with over there--but I love it.


I think those days are over. Ive been exchanging PM with the 'Ol Dune Dud, and it appears that his tactics with me may have changed. Apparently hes tired of me. Oh well.


Tough shit for him. I'm sure he is tired of me too, but I still intend to push it. 8)
Image
User avatar
Tleilax Master B
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:44 pm


Return to Dune Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron