Destination: Void - Gregg Press Hardcover

Start topics here about Dune that are not bloody likely to be screwed with by me.
ULFsurfer

Destination: Void - Gregg Press Hardcover

Post by ULFsurfer »

Some of you might have seen indications online that there should be a Gregg Press edition of D:V. I myself have been hunting it for the past year but never seen any copy for sale. But recently I decided to check it out at the library of congress since they have it listed in their inventory. Lo and behold, they couldn't find an actual physical copy when I inquired. They said that the listing was there because the library had 'anticipated' acquiring a copy at some point. As I said in the 'hello' thread, library of congress is super mega big and has pretty much everything. I can't help but think that if they don't have this one, it's most likely a phantom which was never published.

I saw a bunch of other libraries, mostly high school, holding copies in the US. Maybe someone could check those out for verification? One library that sticks out is Boston public library.

I remember stumbling into a website that listed # copies of all the gregg press editions and saw D:V there having far less copies than the other FH books. Too bad I never bookmarked that page..
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Re: Destination: Void - Gregg Press Hardcover

Post by Omphalos »

You should consider going right to the source. IIRC David Hartwell published Gregg Press books. He can be found on line at his own website, or at The New York Review of Science Fiction website. He could probably tell you what you want to know.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

David wasn't able to verify if it was ever printed. So we're still not at 100% certainty.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Hmmmm. Well, a few years ago I saw that an Amazon reseller advertised that he had a complete set of Gregg Press books for sale. They are called Red Dragon Books. They wanted some god-awful price for them. I bet they haven't sold yet. Maybe they have a copy and can verify its existence.

Other than that, does WorldCat list any copies anywhere?

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Omphalos wrote:Hmmmm. Well, a few years ago I saw that an Amazon reseller advertised that he had a complete set of Gregg Press books for sale. They are called Red Dragon Books. They wanted some god-awful price for them. I bet they haven't sold yet. Maybe they have a copy and can verify its existence.
Surely must be this set you're talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Set-Gr ... 1992wt_770

Yeah, the price is ridiculous.. not worth it. It does contain the 4 FH books that are verified in this series.

Omphalos wrote:Other than that, does WorldCat list any copies anywhere?
Yes, that's where I found a few copies listed in some libraries, LoC one of them. I think a few emails to some of the other libraries could eliminate the possibilities further.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I'm betting it's a phantom, but I'll look to see if there are any WorldCat listings for the Sacramento area.

ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Afraid there aren't any libraries nearby Sacramento listing this edition. Here's the complete list of libraries with unverified entries that I have gotten from Worldcat and LoC library network:

Boston Public Library
Libraries Online Inc, CT
Columbia City High School, IN
Monroe County Communal School, IN
Anoka-Hennepin School, MN
Maple River School, MN
Baker & Taylor Inc Tech Serv, NC
Ocean State Lib, RI
Woonsocket Harris Pub, RI
Clifton Greenlee County Library, AZ
Univ. South Carolina, SC

Others listed on worldcat are wrongly listed or have broken links.
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

I just shortened the list a bit more. A few more of these were false, and others double entries. Now it's down to:

Boston Public Library
Anoka-Hennepin School/Maple River School (same?), MN
Clifton Greenlee County Library, AZ
Baker & Taylor Inc Tech Serv, NC (have no clue what this came from!)

Not many options left.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

http://www.ybp.com/bt_tools.html

Library order fulfillment?

Return to “Dune Talk”