Heroes of Dune

Start topics here about Dune that are not bloody likely to be screwed with by me.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Heroes of Dune

Post by Omphalos »

So, I guess that KJA and BH are going to sink the final nails into FH's coffin with this trilogy that is suppose to start in 2008. I personally cannot imagine how anybody who knows anything at all about Messiah of Dune would even consider a title like that.

Im guessing we are for sure going to again see Vorian and, um, Abulurd? Xavier? I forget which name they stole for that character. Who was the Harko who killed Gingo? That guy. Anyway, those seem to be their favorite "heroes."
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Well, I agree that we haven't seen the last of Vorian. But whether he will show up in the "Sandwiches" or in some as yet only noised about post-Legends series remains to be seen.

And there's probably a strong chance that Serena will speak to Paul from other memory. (All depends on how you read/they intended that bit in Grunters with her speaking to Shee-ana.)

Gah. :twisted:
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I honestly wonder if they even remember that they did that. Wouldnt that be a hoot? If they put something that big and stoopid into one of those books then forgot to ever go back and tie up the loose end? I would not be surprised in the least.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Guilty confession time....

I actually find myself looking forward, in a really sick way, to their next flailing bout of stupidity.

How sad is that? :(
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Guilty confession time....

I actually find myself looking forward, in a really sick way, to their next flailing bout of stupidity.

How sad is that? :(
Youre guilty about that? Hell Man! That's why Im here! I revel in it!

I really did give those two clowns lots of chances with the books. And I even gave KJA personal chances to engage me and the group about problems that we had. Well, the books sucked and Anderson is an ass. Now I have a hobby, and the Earth's turning goes so much more sweetly now.

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

I won't be spending any money on them, I wouldn't read it if it was free.

I will read it if someone pays me.

Their title clearly indicates a lack of understanding FH's themes, especially since they're about Paul, Jessica and Irulan. They had heroic moments but I don't really think of them as heroes, they did what they had to do. Survivors do terrible things. Besides, I would never imagine that FH would title a book "Heroes".

They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I haven't wasted money on any of their crap. The excerpts posted online were enough for me.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:I won't be spending any money on them, I wouldn't read it if it was free.

I will read it if someone pays me.

Their title clearly indicates a lack of understanding FH's themes, especially since they're about Paul, Jessica and Irulan. They had heroic moments but I don't really think of them as heroes, they did what they had to do. Survivors do terrible things. Besides, I would never imagine that FH would title a book "Heroes".

Thanks, Freak. That was exactly the point I was trying to make, kind of. What I really meant is that that grey area is going to be totally lost on them. Anderson, I believe, cannot separate the glomming fan-boys that regularly throw their fruits-of-the-loom at him at conventions from real life. His idea of a hero is someone to worship only because they wield great power, and not because they make great sacrifice for others, leaving things better then they found them, even if only in the long run. No. Those dipshits are going to give us another 2400 pages of sheer brutality and blood only and call that herioc, and completely miss any of the larger messages that Frank wrote into the original books.

I wonder how many automatic weapons Anderson would give Jesus in his SF retelling of the new testament? "Thou shalt pulleth the pin of the holy hand grenade and lobbeth it at thine enemy."

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Omphalos wrote:I wonder how many automatic weapons Anderson would give Jesus in his SF retelling of the new testament? "Thou shalt pulleth the pin of the holy hand grenade and lobbeth it at thine enemy."
Everyone knows; Jesus was packing.

And it wasn't just automatic weapons and grenades, he also had eye lazors.
Eru

Post by Eru »

And Chainsaw Arms...and a Hydraulic Penis.
"We must make an Idol of our fear and call it God"

--The Seventh Sign
Godgirl

Post by Godgirl »

Eru wrote:And Chainsaw Arms...and a Hydraulic Penis.
And a boring ending. I refuse to read more...unless I find myself unable to intelligently join in on the insults, that is. Then I guess it would be manditory.

I still think Crazy Witch-Bitch of Dune is a hell of a catchy title.
"Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice. ---Thomas Paine"
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Godgirl wrote:I still think Crazy Witch-Bitch of Dune is a hell of a catchy title.
If you want to write it, I'll sign you up for Hoary Tales. (Or was that Whorey Tails...I keep forgetting. :shock: )
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:
Godgirl wrote:I still think Crazy Witch-Bitch of Dune is a hell of a catchy title.
If you want to write it, I'll sign you up for Hoary Tales. (Or was that Whorey Tails...I keep forgetting. :shock: )
I would read it :D

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Is there anyone here who actually has any interest in reading the latest round of shite squirted out of Anderson's pimply arse? I'm just wondering how anyone could drum up the enthusiasm to actually open the book and turn the pages.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

chanilover wrote:Is there anyone here who actually has any interest in reading the latest round of shite squirted out of Anderson's pimply arse? I'm just wondering how anyone could drum up the enthusiasm to actually open the book and turn the pages.
Reading those books helps fuel my dislike over what has happened to the original series. I also enjoy reading it right away and being able to throw opinions around before others read it, which will hopefully predispose them to not liking it (though I just don't get how one can read something like that and not like it anyway).

They should've continued to write their garbage when it was thousands of years removed from FH's world. Once they poked their heads into Frank's timeline is when I really started to get pissed. I'm not buying it new this time around though. I'll be looking for a used copy so I might not to get my review on Amazon right away like last time.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I don't think I'm going to read any more of them. I have enough ammo in my head now. But if some colossal stupidity comes out in a later book, that makes it worth my time to read, I will pick it up.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I'm in for the duration. :twisted:

Every time they drop drawers and squirt out another steaming pile, I'll be there to bite their pockmarked backsides.

It's a nasty job, but somebody has to do it.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:I'm in for the duration. :twisted:

Every time they drop drawers and squirt out another steaming pile, I'll be there to bite their pockmarked backsides.

Masochist. :P

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I really don't know how you can stomach it. By the time I got to the end of Hunters, I was just sick to death of Dune, although a bit of a breather from it has done me good and I'm planning on re-reading the six Dune books. I'll be getting started on them in the next month or so, after my trip to the Islands next month.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Is this the much anticipated family trip to the Philippines? :D
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Yes, only three weeks to go!
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Well, if you swing by the Tokes, Mr Teg and I will buy you a coffee at Starbucks! :D
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Hehe, and you do it so well chigger!

I think I'm out too; I'm not sure how much of my time I can waste on reading the shit they keep pumping out....
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Tleilax Master B wrote:

Hehe, and you do it so well chigger!

I think I'm out too; I'm not sure how much of my time I can waste on reading the shit they keep pumping out....
Come on! It's not like you're wasting years of your life just sit down and crank out a reading in one day. Then you'll have plenty of ammo to keep you going.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Im sure Ill read it, even though I bitch. That last book was the crowning glory of their sequel shit-pile. Kind of like the little twisted, tapering part of a big dump.

But since Paul is going through so many "re-writes," and is not an attempt to wrap up all kinds of crazy shit, I'm sure its going to have a completely different feel to it.

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Nekhrun wrote:Come on! It's not like you're wasting years of your life just sit down and crank out a reading in one day. Then you'll have plenty of ammo to keep you going.
True, but why spend money on it, when I can buy something much more fulfilling, like a history textbook?
"It means ruin to choose to think for oneself if one can't think." -Jens Bjorneboe
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:Im sure Ill read it, even though I bitch. That last book was the crowning glory of their sequel shit-pile. Kind of like the little twisted, tapering part of a big dump.

But since Paul is going through so many "re-writes," and is not an attempt to wrap up all kinds of crazy shit, I'm sure its going to have a completely different feel to it.
Yeah, but when it comes to shit, it's not just the feel.

The SMELL and TASTE are also important.

:mrgreen:
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Phaedrus wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:Come on! It's not like you're wasting years of your life just sit down and crank out a reading in one day. Then you'll have plenty of ammo to keep you going.
True, but why spend money on it, when I can buy something much more fulfilling, like a history textbook?
If you go the used route then at least you're supporting a local bookstore or some guy who needs a couple of bucks for drinks that weekend. I'm in full agreement that the HLP does not deserve one more cent from us.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

They'd have to pay me to read it.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:
If you go the used route then at least you're supporting a local bookstore or some guy who needs a couple of bucks for drinks that weekend. I'm in full agreement that the HLP does not deserve one more cent from us.
Yes, yes. I would not give the HLP any more money, so I would buy it used. Im sure there will be no shortage of used copies.

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos wrote:Im sure there will be no shortage of used copies.
Hahaha, I get a good laugh at the frequency with which certain items appear in the bargin bins or at after-market stores. It's so often the best benchmark to gauge a truly shit product :)
Last edited by GamePlayer on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Freakzilla wrote:They'd have to pay me to read it.
that's pretty much my feeling on it as well......
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

GamePlayer wrote:
Hahaha, I get a good laugh at the frequency with which certain items appear in the bargin bins or at after-market stores. It's so often the best benchmark to gauge a truly shit product :)
There hasn't been any copies at my used bookstores a sign that no one is reading it.........

Rob
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Robspierre wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:
There hasn't been any copies at my used bookstores a sign that no one is reading it.........

Rob
You have to wait for the pb to come out. Its at that point that they remainder all the unsold hb's.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

There will a ton of them, the local bookstores all have copies still.

Rob
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I saw five copies of it in Borders here lately. In the SF section it was the ONLY book that had more than two copies available.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

So...

When do you think the ARCs for Pail of Dung will start showing up on eBay? They had already hit up by this time last year.

Do you think TOR will have changed its practices surrounding them after all the copies of the Sadworms one that made the rounds? :wink:

Our contact in Tokyo has kept mysteriously mum about whether they'll have one of Pail we can perve this year. (There's been no evidence that The Powers What Be have figured out who it was. We've sworn to take her identity to the grave...at least, that's what we tell him. ;) )

Kevin was blogging about the Sadworms process a lot more last year, it seems to me. Let's see, a while back he mentioned sending the final manuscript to the editors and test readers, then something about editing based on their suggestions. I'm not clear on exactly where they are now.

Oh well, it'll all come out eventually. :D
Last edited by SandChigger on Sun May 04, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Well, they seem to be "taking their time" with this one ( :roll: ), so it may be along later than last year's travesty.

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Nekhrun wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:
"History textbook" was supposed to queue up an image of an incredibly boring and poorly written book...but I guess no one got that?

It's not that I don't want to spend money on it, it's that I don't want to take in that much shit. I'll become septic, I imagine.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Sorry, I took it to be like a required text for a class you were taking, or something.

I think I kept the texts for all (the few) history classes I took. I dunno, I always enjoyed history....

Does that make me weird?

(asks the guy who pretends he's an alien insect! :D )
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Phaedrus wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:
"History textbook" was supposed to queue up an image of an incredibly boring and poorly written book...but I guess no one got that?

It's not that I don't want to spend money on it, it's that I don't want to take in that much shit. I'll become septic, I imagine.
I tooke the same meaning as Chig did. Also, I retract my statement about the HLP. I want them all to get rich off of Dune. Fatten 'em all up. It's like a famine times (intellectually) on a smaller scale. Maybe there are some little Herberts running around who will scatter at some point and make Dune what it used to be with some real authors.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Nekhrun wrote:I tooke the same meaning as Chig did.
What is it they say about great minds? :D

Return to “Dune Talk”