New PKD movie with Damon

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

New PKD movie with Damon

Post by Omphalos »

Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Haven't read that one. :(
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

As far as I remember, it wasn't a biggie.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

the film won't be either. I refuse to go see anymore 'PKD' movies. I don't even like Blade Runner that much.

Seriously, how can you possibly screw up his stories that much?
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Ampoliros wrote:...I don't even like Blade Runner that much.
HEATHEN!!! :wink:

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

BURN HIM!!! :evil:

:lol:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Just doing a PKD novel isn't enough to guarantee a good movie. But it's not a bad start. Though I'm not really impressed with George Nolfi at all. Both Ocean's Twelve and the Bourne Ultimatum were okay films, but nothing to get excited about.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:Just doing a PKD novel isn't enough to guarantee a good movie. But it's not a bad start. Though I'm not really impressed with George Nolfi at all. Both Ocean's Twelve and the Bourne Ultimatum were okay films, but nothing to get excited about.
I did not even bother with Ocean's 12. I figure burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice shame on me. Bourne Ultimatium for some reason I have not gotten around to yet, but I will someday.

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Ed Fletcher, a real estates salesman, finds out that our world is really, in effect, one big soundstage controlled by strange and mysterious guardians. The plot is very similar to the 1998 science fiction film Dark City and other works suggesting the idea of a manufactured reality.
Reminds me of "Yesterday Was Monday" by Sturgeon.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Liege-Killer wrote:
Ed Fletcher, a real estates salesman, finds out that our world is really, in effect, one big soundstage controlled by strange and mysterious guardians. The plot is very similar to the 1998 science fiction film Dark City and other works suggesting the idea of a manufactured reality.
Reminds me of "Yesterday Was Monday" by Sturgeon.
PKD himself actually wrote several stories like this; where some salaryman is confused about the nature of reality, and is the pawn in some game of the powerful.

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Omphalos wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:...I don't even like Blade Runner that much.
HEATHEN!!! :wink:
I recognize it as a good film, It's just not my favorite.
Screamers was fun, I liked it. Same with Total Recall.

Minority Report was crap, I didn't even bother going to see Paycheck (my favorite of his short stories). I'm missing one, iirc (thankfully).
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I thought Blade Runner was really dissapointing myself, waaay too short. Everything about it was fantastic, then the pace started getting rushed and just kept getting more and more rushed until the ending was pretty much ruined IMO. Maybe I'll have to read the book.

PDK must be the most filmed SF author in existance. How many total?
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Maybe it's a time/period thang, Thang. ;)

I was younger than you when I saw it the summer it came out. I was in Myrtle Beach on a roadtrip with my cousin and one of his friends ... three rowdies on a party. :D

I think the only movie I've watched more often is Silence of the Lambs. :twisted:

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Damon should help the young'uns with that. I hear hes really hot now. :wink:

Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

I just watched A Scanner Darkly a week or so ago, although I despise Keanu (SP??) Reeves, I enjoyed the movie. I have the book in the pile to be read but have not done so yet.

I really enjo PKDs style of writing, the movies are ok but it is apples and oranges, books and movies that is.
Freak-banned from Dung Novels 2/25/2009

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”