[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
THE (ALMOST) UNDELETED • View topic - BSG [Non Spoiler Thread]

BSG [Non Spoiler Thread]

SF genre TV and Movie discussions

BSG [Non Spoiler Thread]

Postby Nekhrun » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:52 am

I wanted to start a thread for people to discuss uninformed theories/episodes/webisodes that have already aired, but not topics that people have read about in interviews or found out through any other source other than viewing the episodes themselves.

I'm interested in the idea that cylons only seem to be able to reproduce with humans when love is entered into the equation. What I find confusing is that Saul has apparently impregnated the imprisoned 6. What would that make their baby? It would be a full-on cylon but it would be interesting to see how it interacts with other cylon technology.

Also, what the fuck is up with cylons only having one hub? The 5 must have their own somewhere as well. I thought that storyline was stupid.
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby Mandy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:06 pm

Saul is a different kind of cylon, so I assume the love thing doesn't apply, but if it does apply, then I'd take his visions of Ellen into consideration. If he was mentally boinking Ellen instead of Six then that might be how the pregnancy came about.
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby SandChigger » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:51 pm

Mental boinking. :shock:

There's something I haven't thought about for a while.... :lol:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Mandy wrote:Saul is a different kind of cylon, so I assume the love thing doesn't apply, but if it does apply, then I'd take his visions of Ellen into consideration. If he was mentally boinking Ellen instead of Six then that might be how the pregnancy came about.


What I was thinking.

Mental boinking.

There's something I haven't thought about for a while.


Since marriage it has helped keep me sane. Well.....saner.

Also, what the fuck is up with cylons only having one hub? The 5 must have their own somewhere as well. I thought that storyline was stupid.


I thought that was stupid too. I wonder if they will fix that?

Im starting to think that everyone but these 13 models + starbuck + the little girl is dead meat.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:49 pm

I really shouldn't be reading these two threads, but what the hay!

Is the "hub" the same as the reincarnation ship they destroyed at the end of season 2?
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Mandy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:34 pm

The hub was the the main ship that controlled the resurrection ships. That never made much sense to me, computers would have back ups.. wouldn't they? lol Also, what about the cylon "home world" why would they have to resurrect on a ship? Seems like they'd have facilities on the ground to resurrect in.
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby Omphalos » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:04 pm

They have always been really vague about those Cylon "home worlds." But I always thought it was stupid to introduce one critical weakness in the Cylons. They just would not make that big a strategic blunder.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandRider » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:25 pm

how else are you going to destroy then with only a handful of recurring characters ?


Like how Kirk, Spock & Bones always managed to transport
down to the planet at the governmental, civil, military & economic
center of the civilization to repair, blow up, negotiate, steal, heal,
or do whatever had to be done to save the crew of the Enterprise.
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Omphalos » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:54 pm

There should have been no way to destroy them. They were too powerful. That is the degree of realism that I demand. You can add FTL, intelligent robots and all that other stuff, but don't give me some bullshit resolution, just to move the story in a particular direction. Figure out another real-world solution; like having the Cylons so freaked out by the success of the human raid that they pull all the other resurrection ships out of the combat zone, because on balance its worth losing a bunch of combatants instead of another very, very valuable resurrection craft. They just made it the "only" one to ratchet up the drama, but they didn't need to, and shouldn't have.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:03 pm

Thanks for the info, Mandy.

We haven't started the third season yet over here. Sounds like a mixed package. :(
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby GamePlayer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:22 am

The resurrection ships have an effective range. They mention this fact at least once or twice. So it makes sense that they'd need them to be mobile rather than basing resurrection facilities on planets, which are likely too far away. We're not even sure if there is a Cylon homeworld. We've never heard it mentioned and the Cylons don't appear to contact any "base" or "home planet" at any time for instructions or orders. Not saying there isn't a homeworld, but if it doesn't exist, I wouldn't be surprised.

I get the sense the final five have resources that no one else knows about. The other Cylons seem to have some kind of record gap or mental block whereby they know nothing of the final five. It's possible the final five have built all the powers and vulnerabilities of the other Cylons for some other purpose. The BSG series seems to deal a lot with themes of predestination, so all of the Cylons could have been built by design to fail by the final five, knowing in advance that their failure would ultimately bring them together with the humans?
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Omphalos » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:35 am

GamePlayer wrote:The resurrection ships have an effective range. They mention this fact at least once or twice. So it makes sense that they'd need them to be mobile rather than basing resurrection facilities on planets, which are likely too far away. We're not even sure if there is a Cylon homeworld. We've never heard it mentioned and the Cylons don't appear to contact any "base" or "home planet" at any time for instructions or orders. Not saying there isn't a homeworld, but if it doesn't exist, I wouldn't be surprised.


They mentioned Cylon homeworlds in the original miniseries, IIRC. And the issue is not that the resurrection ships are mobile. Its that there was only one, which shows a decided lack of foresight on the part of the Cylons, and creates an unrealistic weakness.

GamePlayer wrote:I get the sense the final five have resources that no one else knows about. The other Cylons seem to have some kind of record gap or mental block whereby they know nothing of the final five. It's possible the final five have built all the powers and vulnerabilities of the other Cylons for some other purpose. The BSG series seems to deal a lot with themes of predestination, so all of the Cylons could have been built by design to fail by the final five, knowing in advance that their failure would ultimately bring them together with the humans?


I love this series, but I'm beginning to lose hope that they will tie that thread up. IOW, there is enough going on now that I could easily see them "forget" to go back to deal with that.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby GamePlayer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:26 pm

I remember the humans discussions of Cylon territory or assumed worlds, but I can't recall them talking about a homeworld specifically. Well, it could go either way. I agree the single resurrection ship is a sci-fi "centralized weakness in the otherwise indestructible horde" cliche, but I recall the range being very important. And I remember downloads could be blocked through interference, like the Ragnar Anchorage.

Half of season 3 was a downer and probably the weakest of the series. However, I really enjoyed the first half of season 4 and think they got back on the right track. I think the biggest reason why it's been hard to build enthusiasm for the second half of the fourth season is because of the writer's strike basically sabotaged the show. I was ready to finish the series off and get to the end. But it was like you're almost ready to orgasm and some asshole throws a bucket of cold water on you :)

But seriously, it is momentum that has a lot to do with a good story. When you're reading a good book, you don't stop two-thirds in and come back to it 6 months later. Perhaps any other show it would have been okay, but you could feel BSG coming to a close. This big gap in 4th season is like an overwritten, unnecessary 5th chapter inappropriately sandwiched in between the rising action and the climax.

Maybe your reasons are different, but I'm sticking it out through to the end. I will agree that the finale better be good. Other episodic-style series that have no long, overall story arc can get away with fading away after their popularity wains. But a story like BSG has to have a good ending, otherwise it ruins the whole journey. I know that if the ending sucks, I won't go back and re-watch BSG again.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Omphalos » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:13 pm

GamePlayer wrote:Half of season 3 was a downer and probably the weakest of the series. However, I really enjoyed the first half of season 4 and think they got back on the right track. I think the biggest reason why it's been hard to build enthusiasm for the second half of the fourth season is because of the writer's strike basically sabotaged the show.


Totally agree

GamePlayer wrote:I was ready to finish the series off and get to the end. But it was like you're almost ready to orgasm and some asshole throws a bucket of cold water on you :)


Ill take your word for that. :P

GamePlayer wrote:But seriously, it is momentum that has a lot to do with a good story. When you're reading a good book, you don't stop two-thirds in and come back to it 6 months later.


I do that all the time. But then again, I like to read ten books at once.

GamePlayer wrote:Maybe your reasons are different, but I'm sticking it out through to the end. I will agree that the finale better be good. Other episodic-style series that have no long, overall story arc can get away with fading away after their popularity wains. But a story like BSG has to have a good ending, otherwise it ruins the whole journey. I know that if the ending sucks, I won't go back and re-watch BSG again.


It will be the ultimate test, won't it? You know what though? I think that a few of the individual episodes are some of the best SF TV that I have ever seen, and cant see myself ignoring them in the future, even if the ending sucks. Episodes like 33 for the feeling of intensity, or Flesh and Bone, where Starbuck has a giant moment of epiphany after torturing Leoben (I have never seen character development like that anywhere in my life, TV or books - and the dialog was PHENOMINAL), or the one where they destroy the resurrection ship and correograph the battle like a ballet (and I thought the bit about Apollo floating in space and dying slowly was a perfect metaphor for the entire show). D blowing her head off is going to stick with me for some time too; I will never forget those episodes.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby GamePlayer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:55 pm

I don't think I'll be able to go back. I can tolerate weak episodes or the odd low point in a series as long as most of it is good, the characters are interesting and it has a fine finish. To me, a show like "The Wire" is as close to perfection as TV comes. But I know myself and if a finale blows, I won't go back; I'll drop the whole series. I'll remember with happy memories the good parts of BSG, but I won't put myself through the suffering of a lame ending over and over again.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Nekhrun » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:55 pm

Omphalos wrote:They have always been really vague about those Cylon "home worlds." But I always thought it was stupid to introduce one critical weakness in the Cylons. They just would not make that big a strategic blunder.

It's almost Andersonian. I have much more faith though that this will work itself out. The writers seem to be too smart to include a Death Star-like flaw in a machine civilization.

Plus, what's the point of jumping around like that when there are so few humans left? Why not just surround it with about a thousand Base-Stars?
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby Omphalos » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:28 pm

Nekhrun wrote:
Omphalos wrote:They have always been really vague about those Cylon "home worlds." But I always thought it was stupid to introduce one critical weakness in the Cylons. They just would not make that big a strategic blunder.

It's almost Andersonian. I have much more faith though that this will work itself out. The writers seem to be too smart to include a Death Star-like flaw in a machine civilization.

Plus, what's the point of jumping around like that when there are so few humans left? Why not just surround it with about a thousand Base-Stars?


There is only one cylon who is not a pussy. Cavil (and maybe D'Anna). The rest are indecisive whiners or "me toos!"
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Omphalos » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:31 pm

GamePlayer wrote:I don't think I'll be able to go back. I can tolerate weak episodes or the odd low point in a series as long as most of it is good, the characters are interesting and it has a fine finish. To me, a show like "The Wire" is as close to perfection as TV comes. But I know myself and if a finale blows, I won't go back; I'll drop the whole series. I'll remember with happy memories the good parts of BSG, but I won't put myself through the suffering of a lame ending over and over again.


You know what will turn me off for good? If they resolve the show with every one being a cylon who is capable of rebirth in a resurrection facility. Fuck that. Billy should just stay the hell dead!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Mandy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:26 pm

Battlestarwiki has an article about the cylon homeworld, apparently it was mentioned in the mini series, but that is all they've said about it. The article also says that the cylons built the resurrection ships because the Twelve Colonies were too far away from the homeworld.. so does that mean there are resurrection facilities on the planet? They'll probably never explain that.
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby Star Dust » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:57 pm

We've gotten so used to resurrection and downloading that it's only natural
to extend the same capabilities to The 5, but I don't necessarily see it that
way. The 5 and the Colonial Cylons, to me at least, have some pretty huge
cultural gaps. Even though The 5 were, presumably, living within the 12
colonies for a generation or three, I don't think there's any crossover with
the first seven skinjobs.

Anyway, if it's true that Tigh, Tori, Tyrol and Blanders lived on earth 2,000+
years ago, then I'm hard pressed to explain how they're in the fleet and the
Colonies. If they did resurrect, and I'm not convinced they did or have, I
think it must have happened outside the sphere of influence of the seven.
Maybe they're just the remnants of a splinter group of Cylons who never left
Kobol and instead mingled in with the 12 tribes, and somehow kept their
culture/line going through the centuries.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Image
User avatar
Star Dust
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Omphalos » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Tigh was wrong. The last Cylon was Jesus.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Nekhrun » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:12 am

Star Dust wrote:We've gotten so used to resurrection and downloading that it's only natural
to extend the same capabilities to The 5, but I don't necessarily see it that
way. The 5 and the Colonial Cylons, to me at least, have some pretty huge
cultural gaps. Even though The 5 were, presumably, living within the 12
colonies for a generation or three, I don't think there's any crossover with
the first seven skinjobs.

Anyway, if it's true that Tigh, Tori, Tyrol and Blanders lived on earth 2,000+
years ago, then I'm hard pressed to explain how they're in the fleet and the
Colonies. If they did resurrect, and I'm not convinced they did or have, I
think it must have happened outside the sphere of influence of the seven.
Maybe they're just the remnants of a splinter group of Cylons who never left
Kobol and instead mingled in with the 12 tribes, and somehow kept their
culture/line going through the centuries.

Ellen did say that they'd be reborn in their new bodies. Galen also pointed to a shadow on a wall from an explosion and said, "That was me." I think that points to some kind of resurrection.
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby SandChigger » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:55 am

Or ... he could have been taking credit for the explosion that resulted in the wall marking. :P
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby GamePlayer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:07 am

Omphalos wrote:You know what will turn me off for good? If they resolve the show with every one being a cylon who is capable of rebirth in a resurrection facility. Fuck that. Billy should just stay the hell dead!


GAWD! I really hope that doesn't happen! That would sabotage every dramatic moment in the series that was built around a loss. The destruction of the 13 colonies would have the gravitas kicked out from underneath it if everyone came back. That would be horrible! Unthinkable! Deculture! (whoops, wrong franchise) :)

Mandy wrote:Battlestarwiki has an article about the cylon homeworld, apparently it was mentioned in the mini series, but that is all they've said about it. The article also says that the cylons built the resurrection ships because the Twelve Colonies were too far away from the homeworld.. so does that mean there are resurrection facilities on the planet? They'll probably never explain that.


Ah. Strange that it's not been talked about since. Maybe it's a plot point that will come around in the end, but I get the feeling we're never going to see the Cylon world.

I don't think the need for a mobile resurrection ship automatically means the Cylons have resurrection facilities on their homeworld. The limited resurrection range just underscores the need for a mobile resurrection ship. Since the resurrection ship is supposed to be unique, it stands to reason that the Cylons simply based their resurrection facilities aboard a vessel from the very beginning.

If the Cylons had resurrection facilities on both their homeworld and a resurrection ship, why would the ship be written in the series as a unique construct when it's not? I think this was part of Omphalos' criticism and I think I have to begrudgingly agree. If the resurrection ship is unique, then they can't have planet based resurrection facilities because if they did, the resurrection ship wouldn't be unique. Just doesn't make sense.

Star Dust wrote:Even though The 5 were, presumably, living within the 12
colonies for a generation or three, I don't think there's any crossover with
the first seven skinjobs.


The final five have to possess some kind of facilities and resources on their own. How could they have managed to move into just the right places at just the right time to survive aboard the human remnants without some kind of resurrection capability? Of all the billions that died, these five final Cylons just happen to be among the 50,000 survivors? That's way too much of a stretch. No one could have known the Galactica would be the ship to survive, nor that certain civilian ships scattered all over the colonies would survive. The only explanation for the final five surviving the 13 colonies holocaust is if the final five somehow unwittingly (subconsciously) control the other Cylons without their knowledge. Hence, every ships or location where a final five was at the time of the 13 colonies falling would have been a "safe haven", unknown to anyone, even the final five themselves.

Argh! But that is all very lame! :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Mandy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:16 pm

Yeah, RM said in an interview that we probably won't ever see the "homeworld" after he was asked about it. I think they're purposely avoiding that issue, especially since "Downloaded" took place on Caprica.

One of the things that has bothered me about the Cylons, is the question of whether they are all part of the Cylon fleet chasing after the humans. If a bunch of them stayed behind on the homeworld, and Caprica, then they could be building a new Hub, and new resurrection ships. They built the first ones, so they must have the skills to build more. Might take them another 50yrs.. but maybe that's how the cycle starts over.
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby Star Dust » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:24 pm

Nekhrun wrote:
Star Dust wrote:We've gotten so used to resurrection and downloading that it's only natural
to extend the same capabilities to The 5, but I don't necessarily see it that
way. The 5 and the Colonial Cylons, to me at least, have some pretty huge
cultural gaps. Even though The 5 were, presumably, living within the 12
colonies for a generation or three, I don't think there's any crossover with
the first seven skinjobs.

Anyway, if it's true that Tigh, Tori, Tyrol and Blanders lived on earth 2,000+
years ago, then I'm hard pressed to explain how they're in the fleet and the
Colonies. If they did resurrect, and I'm not convinced they did or have, I
think it must have happened outside the sphere of influence of the seven.
Maybe they're just the remnants of a splinter group of Cylons who never left
Kobol and instead mingled in with the 12 tribes, and somehow kept their
culture/line going through the centuries.


Ellen did say that they'd be reborn in their new bodies.


Didn't she just say that they'd be reborn? I don't recall her saying they'd be reborn "in new bodies". If she just said they'd be reborn, that could be attributed to a myriad of religious beliefs.

Nekhrun wrote:Galen also pointed to a shadow on a wall from an explosion and said, "That was me." I think that points to some kind of resurrection.


Of course, but where and how? Like I said, it obviously wasn't happening within the environment of the seven. And it doesn't make sense, to me, that the four have been resurrecting for 2000 years in the 12 colonies. That sort of thing gets noticed. Hopefully this will get answered in the remaining 9 episodes.

And Ellen Tigh is NOT the 5th. No way, no how.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Image
User avatar
Star Dust
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Mandy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Ellen said: "Saul, it's okay. Everything's in place. We'll be reborn again. Together."

Who knows what that "everything" means, but it has to be a way to resurrect, imo.
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby Star Dust » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:26 pm

Mandy wrote:Ellen said: "Saul, it's okay. Everything's in place. We'll be reborn again. Together."

Who knows what that "everything" means, but it has to be a way to resurrect, imo.


Ahhh, I didn't catch that. Well yeah, that's pretty telling.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Image
User avatar
Star Dust
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Omphalos » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:33 pm

There has gotta be some really wacky twist coming, and I am going to hate it if its that the cylons at the 12 colonies had their memories wiped. How lame. But think about this. There were human looking Cylons on the corpse of Earth and an odd looking version of the toasters. But the legend of the show is that the Cylons at the 12 colonies "invented" the human looking ones after they ended the last war. They have made it sound like the Colonials take credit for actually constructing the first Cylon, and I think that is what the next show, Caprica, is going to be about.

So, the "rebirth" from the Earth-Cylon's perspective could be nothing more than some God-inspired "This will all happen again" notion, instead of actually downloading to a resurrection facility. What if the twelve colonies left from Earth, and the legends were just told backwards? War on Earth with some Cylon creations. Manking heads to the stars to get away. Mankind repeats its past again, and heads back to Earth, starting the whole bleeding circle again.

God, I hope not.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:41 pm

Aw, kewl! That would be so RAD! :lol:



(Not :( )
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Star Dust » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:50 pm

Interesting timeline data from Battlestar Wiki:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Timeline_(RDM)

Does this timeline have RDM's blessing?

So the first exodus from Kobol, presumably that of the 13th Tribe/Colony,
happened as far back as 4,000 years ago, and no sooner than 3,000 years
ago. This gives quite a bit of room to work with re: the time between the
first exodus and Earth's destruction. Makes me wonder if it wasn't the
humans who nuked Earth on their way outta town.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Image
User avatar
Star Dust
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Freakzilla » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:09 am

Star Dust wrote:Interesting timeline data from Battlestar Wiki:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Timeline_(RDM)

Does this timeline have RDM's blessing?

So the first exodus from Kobol, presumably that of the 13th Tribe/Colony,
happened as far back as 4,000 years ago, and no sooner than 3,000 years
ago. This gives quite a bit of room to work with re: the time between the
first exodus and Earth's destruction. Makes me wonder if it wasn't the
humans who nuked Earth on their way outta town.


Isn't this current re-imagining's back-story quite a bit different from the original? I was really young when BSG was on TV but it's always been a good back-story that helped immerse me in the fictional universe. I seem to remember that the Cylons were alien robots, (weren't the organic Cylons lizard-looking or something like that?) and the time frame in which the exodus took place was much more recent. In today's world, I can see the reason behind making the Cylons a human creation and I suppose the time difference was to allow for the cylons to evolve, right?

Sounds scarily like someone's version of the Butlerian Jihad. :o
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Postby Star Dust » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:37 pm

Correct, the re-imagined backstory is completely different from the original.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Image
User avatar
Star Dust
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Postby SandRider » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:57 pm

yeah, Freak, I've mentioned that a number of times now -
I think it's one of the main things that's marred the thinking
of the writers - but I also think it's DUNE-influenced, if sub-
consciously. A universe with no known aliens is a totally
HUMAN story. An anti-Star Trek or anti-Star Wars.
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Star Dust » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:07 pm

SandRider wrote:yeah, Freak, I've mentioned that a number of times now -
I think it's one of the main things that's marred the thinking
of the writers


That there's no aliens? However improbable or probable, or pro-human or
not, the fact that there's no aliens in BSG is a welcoming breath of fresh air.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Image
User avatar
Star Dust
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Postby SandRider » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:11 pm

no, I agree - that's what has always set DUNE apart from
other scifi bullshit for me.

I'm saying that changing the nature of the backstory of
who and what the cylons are, plus writing the script on-the-
fly, LOST style, without alot of pre-planning, has lead to the
improbable plot twists. And marred the show. It had great
potential as an important piece of TV 'art', but they screwed
that up now. Same with Lost.
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Freakzilla » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:22 pm

SandRider wrote:no, I agree - that's what has always set DUNE apart from
other scifi bullshit for me.

I'm saying that changing the nature of the backstory of
who and what the cylons are, plus writing the script on-the-
fly, LOST style, without alot of pre-planning, has lead to the
improbable plot twists. And marred the show. It had great
potential as an important piece of TV 'art', but they screwed
that up now. Same with Lost.


I agree, I think I could have gotten into it a little more if they hadn't done that with BSG.

Lost lost my interest first episode.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Postby Omphalos » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:49 pm

ill admit that the plot random and unexpected plot twists have made the show a bit unwatchable at times, but with the exception of several episodes in the middle of season 2 (?), they have stuck on point. Not a lot of the issues that the have dealt with have come from left field. The problems of food and water in space; transversing dangerous regions, limitations because of supplies, cabin fever, depression, building families while after losing a war and being hunted. All that makes sense with teh universe that they have created. To me at least.

I think a lot more planning went into Lost than BSG. My understanding is that the core story and resolution was in mind when Lost started, then it changed as they were guaranteed more seasons. BSG was made up on the fly; certainly with enough time to think things out, but the end and the middle were not in mind when the show started.

As for aliens, remember that they have only encountered three planetary bodies capable of supporting life since leaving the 12 colonies. One was where they came from (Kobol) one was where they were going (Earth) and one was unexplored (New Caprica). Alien life is just not a theme they have chosen to deal with. Shows go in drastically different directions when aliens come in, but most good alien stories really are about what it means to be human.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Star Dust » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:53 pm

I think I am cursed/blessed by having a general lack of expectations when it
comes to TV, thus enabling me to skim rather smoothly over real, potential
or alleged creative lapses by the creators.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Image
User avatar
Star Dust
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Omphalos » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:49 pm

Durnk stoned and stupid is no way to go through life, young man. :wink:

Oops! Sorry Stardust! I was channeling Sloey there for a minute! Im all better now.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Star Dust » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:39 pm

oh

my

god

Gaeta needs to DIE.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Image
User avatar
Star Dust
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Omphalos » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:41 am

Star Dust wrote:oh

my

god

Gaeta needs to DIE.


I'm fairly certain that he is going to die a horrible, pitiful death. I wonder if everyone on the Galactica dies, while the ones on the Cylon base star survive?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandRider » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:17 am

i'm to druck to post, but i wathced that befoe i headed out to the
deadhorse --- great show, liked it. why did last week's suck so
bad ? comfudsed.

i really tought gaeta was goihg to die tonight - maybe in a few weeks

i still think e\EVERYIOW'S goign to die ...
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Mandy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:56 am

:D

I know a whole lot of them will die, EJO said something about that in an interview.

I hope Gaeta dies soon.. I used to like him, but he's just icky now.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby Nekhrun » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:53 pm

Aww, he's a cute little guy. They should keep him around as one-legged pet.
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby SandChigger » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:44 pm

Which two has he lost?
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby SandRider » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:45 pm

right & middle ....
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby SandChigger » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:20 pm

There was a middle, to begin with? ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:14 am

SandChigger wrote:There was a middle, to begin with? ;)


Apparently there was. Whod'a thunk it?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandRider » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:35 am

hey, so which one of the cylons models are gay ?

(other than the chicks, I mean, that's just there to lure all the kids in ...)

black dude ? the one who was the PR guy in the pilot miniseries ?

cavil's boning boomer, leoben's hung up on starbuck .....

and who was gaeta doing it with >? was that in the webisode bullstuff ?
lesse, hot dog was banging callie ..... tigh was in the Six ....
baltar had his mormon prophet thang going ...... doc cadell ? gaeta and
the old chain smokin doc ? hot love in the sick bay ? did gaeta have
a crush on lee adama ? he sure gritted his teeth alot .....
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby SandChigger » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:55 pm

:shock:

Oh. My. Gawd.

I won't be able to watch the show again without all that unwinding and replaying in my head....

AAAAARGH! :twisted:


:lol:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby SandRider » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:50 pm

wasn't there a BSG w/Spoilers Thread here somewhere ?
frak me if I can find it now.

awright, kiddies Granpa's missed something frakkin obvious here,
needs a little help ...

7 known cylon models, 3 white dudes, the black dude, 2 hot white chicks, 1 hot asian chick.
got it.

#1 : cavil - old mean white guy
#2 : leoben - gruff white guy, loves starbuck
#3 : xena, warrior princess
#4 : the black guy, simon, right ?
#5: the other white guy
#6: THE Six
#8: The Sharons

who the frak is model #7 ?
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Nekhrun » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:55 pm

SandRider wrote:wasn't there a BSG w/Spoilers Thread here somewhere ?
frak me if I can find it now.

awright, kiddies Granpa's missed something frakkin obvious here,
needs a little help ...

7 known cylon models, 3 white dudes, the black dude, 2 hot white chicks, 1 hot asian chick.
got it.

#1 : cavil - old mean white guy
#2 : leoben - gruff white guy, loves starbuck
#3 : xena, warrior princess
#4 : the black guy, simon, right ?
#5: the other white guy
#6: THE Six
#8: The Sharons

who the frak is model #7 ?

I'm pretty sure they never mentioned it.
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Postby Omphalos » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:35 pm

I dont think that there is a seven. Just ain't there.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandRider » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:09 am

oversight ? plothole left for future hoop-jumping ?

Kara is #7 ?

12 cyclon models, but 13 tribes ?
Colonial-Lotta Megacredits winning numbers ?

how many "Lords of Kobol" were there ?


I'll say this, I may have bad-mouthed this thing now & then, but I've
watched, am watching, and will watch. So that says something. I have
no problem at all skipping stuff, no matter how much the kids go on about
it. And it is the only fiction TV show I've watched in a long time.

Also, I finished up the season 4 DVDs (goodlord, there's a lot of stuff in the
deleted scenes - not enough to change the basic storyline, but ...)

I must have been drunk last year - I swear I thought the thing ended with
the fleet just arriving at earth - I have no recall whatsoever of them actually
going down to the planet and finding it destroyed - why didn't somebody
point this out to me when I was speculating in the "Final Cyclon" thread in
the sietch ?

oh, and one more, probably for Mandy :
have any of the geeks translated the lyrics to the theme song ?
(love that theme song, too.)
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Mandy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:03 am

I got this from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_B ... -imagining)

oṃ bhūr bhuvaḥ svaḥ
tát savitúr váreniyaṃ
bhárgo devásya dhīmahi
dhíyo yó naḥ pracodáyāt

One possible translation of the Sanskrit into English reads:

O earth, atmosphere, heaven:
May we attain that excellent glory of Savitr the God:
So may he stimulate our prayers.


Bear McCreary has a great site, if you're interested in the music of BSG http://www.bearmccreary.com/ Especially his blog http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/

Oh, and I think there are 12 Lords of Kobol, because they are based on the Twelve Olympians.. or some such shit.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby SandRider » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:03 pm

well, thank you, darlin'.

Sanskrit, huh ? never woulda guessed that.
I figgered they had just made it up, and it was about the Lords of Kobal
or "Sweet Home Caprica" or something.
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Mandy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:21 pm

lol.. now I'll have Sweet Home Alabama stuck in my head.

OH, the FAQ on Bear's blog has a slightly different translation.

The Main Title (music by Richard Gibbs, lyrics traditional) is a performance of the Gayatri Mantra, sung in Sanskrit:

* Aum bhoor bhuwah swaha,
* Tat savitur varenyam
* Bhargo devasaya dheemahi
* Dhiyo yo naha prachodayat

It has many translations, but the most common is:

* Oh God! Thou art the Giver of Life,
* Remover of pain and sorrow,
* The Bestower of happiness,
* Oh! Creator of the Universe,
* May we receive thy supreme sin-destroying light,
* May Thou guide our intellect in the right direction.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby Omphalos » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:48 pm

Wow. A prayer for a theme song. I had no idea. I gave up long ago trying to figure out what those damn words were. Thanks Mandy.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandRider » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:31 pm

so it's a prayer to the One True God ?

godsdammit, frak me blind.


{edit} mandy-
what do you make of the Seventh Cylon model ?
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Omphalos » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:21 am

I don't think I have ever heard of Savitr before.

Wikipedia says that beautiful hymns were sung in his praise.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Mandy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:00 am

Re the 7th Cylon.. I've read in a couple places that the writers didn't come up with the final 5 idea until season 3, and by then they'd already given Sharon the number 8. I don't think the 7th Cylon will have any special significance, and I kind of think they're just going to hope we don't pay much attention to the numbers assigned, because it's too late for them to go back and renumber the original 7.

Here's a good article on all the humanoid Cylons. Doesn't tell you anything you shouldn't already know, if you're up to date on the episodes. http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Humanoid_Cylon
Reductio ad Hypatiam
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby SandRider » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:25 pm

well, hell.

I sure figgerd there was an explanation out there.
I mean, GoodL-rd, if I'm coming up with it just now, I'd think other people would've
been on from the get-go. Ezp. with the cross-over audience from Lost, and the
importance of the numbers there.

Alrighty then, I'll just purge the question from my memory banks and roll on into tonight's show carefree and malleable...
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Mandy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:09 pm

You never know, they might surprise us!
Reductio ad Hypatiam
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby Star Dust » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:04 pm

Mandy wrote:You never know, they might surprise us!


perky boobies!!!

I'm on for the post show-mortem tonight!
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Image
User avatar
Star Dust
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Off-topic: on writing the names of gods

Postby SandChigger » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:29 pm

SandRider wrote:GoodL-rd

Oh JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, enough with the goddammed hyphens already! :twisted:

:lol:


(Honestly, though: who could take as serious a deity that would be impressed by the piety(?) demonstrated by the inanity of importing the orthographic characteristics and practice of one language into the writing of another? :roll: Who got you started on this again? Was it Purge? Been meaning to ask him 'bout how you're supposed to pronounce "G-d". In Hebrew they write YHWH but say "Adonai". So when you read "G-d" are you supposed to say "Lord"? :roll: 'Cause if you go ahead and say "God", what the fuck is the point of writing the hyphen?)

I've never heard of Savitur, either. But then they've got a god for every day of the week, no? :roll:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:38 pm

Wow. Sounds like someone had to sleep in the wet spot last night. Next time just flip the fucking futon over, K? :wink:
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Mandy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Star Dust wrote:
Mandy wrote:You never know, they might surprise us!


perky boobies!!!

I'm on for the post show-mortem tonight!


You better be!
Reductio ad Hypatiam
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Re: Off-topic: on writing the names of gods

Postby SandRider » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:31 pm

SandChigger wrote:
SandRider wrote:GoodL-rd

Oh JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, enough with the goddammed hyphens already! :twisted:

:lol:


(Honestly, though: who could take as serious a deity that would be impressed by the piety(?) demonstrated by the inanity of importing the orthographic characteristics and practice of one language into the writing of another? :roll: Who got you started on this again? Was it Purge? Been meaning to ask him 'bout how you're supposed to pronounce "G-d". In Hebrew they write YHWH but say "Adonai". So when you read "G-d" are you supposed to say "Lord"? :roll: 'Cause if you go ahead and say "God", what the fuck is the point of writing the hyphen?)

I've never heard of Savitur, either. But then they've got a god for every day of the week, no? :roll:


who got me started on this ? lessee, mebbe.... YOU ?
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby SandChigger » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:06 pm

Me?! :shock:

The only time I do it is when I'm making fun of it. :lol:

I thought you picked it up over on DN or someplace. :?:

Maybe I'm confoosed? Wouldn't be the first time. :(
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby SandChigger » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:08 pm

Omphalos wrote:Wow. Sounds like someone had to sleep in the wet spot last night.

What are you talking about?

With us there's no dry spot. :P
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:33 pm

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Wow. Sounds like someone had to sleep in the wet spot last night.

What are you talking about?

With us there's no dry spot. :P


Ew. Well, when you sleep in a nest made of old mattress ticking and spit, I guess you have a point there. :wink:
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California


Return to Genre TV and Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron