Terminator Salvation

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Seraphan

Terminator Salvation

Post by Seraphan »

http://terminatorsalvation.warnerbros.com/
Or search on youtube.

I got mixed fealings for this one, the apocaliptic war has always been a part of the terminator movies that interested me.
I liked the trailer though, but that's as far as i'll go.
"But if self-replication can be considered a life-form, then intelligence should be, too.
The real problem is that "life" is such an unscientific word" - Masamune Shirow
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

If only McG werent involved in this one.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Omphalos wrote:If only McG werent involved in this one.
That's my fear, he doesnt seem the kind of director thats cut out for this kind of movie.
Story wise i sincerely hope they dont pull a KJA on this one.
"But if self-replication can be considered a life-form, then intelligence should be, too.
The real problem is that "life" is such an unscientific word" - Masamune Shirow
GamePlayer

Re: Terminator Salvation

Post by GamePlayer »

A bunch of reviews are coming in for Terminator Salvation. Looks like it's gonna be crap.

currently 51% on Metacritic

:(
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

GamePlayer wrote:A bunch of reviews are coming in for Terminator Salvation. Looks like it's gonna be crap.

currently 51% on Metacritic

:(
Liked this one:
Terminator Salvation has no brains and no soul; it's just a mass of stiff, creaking metal joints. Clearly, the machines have won.
:lol:
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Anyone else tired of the Terminator franchise? :D

(Hmm ... just when I was thinking this might be a fun/action/turn-brain-off thingie. LIke the new Star Trek. :P )
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I saw it last night, it wasn't that bad. I'll give it 3 stars for not being as crap as T3.

The ending is shit, its essentially the same ending as they had leaked but Connor doesn't die, he just gets the heart of the Death-row inmate turned terminator, turned good-guy. Oh, I'm sorry, thats supposed to be a spoiler. Don't worry you wont care.

Terminator should not be a summer blockbuster. While the action was decent, the plot left a lot of questions asked but unanswered. Apparently, some humans are collaborating with Skynet, but we won't tell you outright, we'll just hint at it.

With this new envisioning, I'm imagining the end for the series will come with the resistance realizing that John Connor is the whole reason for this future, and John will send a terminator back to kill his own self.

Rather large plothole: The resistance leadership is planning a large attack to win the war and destroy Skynet. the attack gets delayed, but Connor blows the hell out of the Skynet tower when they get away. surprisingly, it doesn't completely kill Skynet's world-wide network. Oh, and apparently Skynet is sooo incompetent in killing humans it doesn't nuke their airfields. Thats right, the resistance is holed up in old military bases.

McG did a decent enough job with cinematography and editing, but I don't think the movie will earn him any praises. I hate him on principle, just for using a name that dumb. If I had to work with him I'd refer to him as CeeGee or The director formerly known as Ego.
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:lol: Sweet.

So ... Skynet is Omnius? Basically a super-intelligent AI that makes really stupid mistakes.

Are we ABSOLUTELY SURE that KJA wasn't involved with this? :P
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

no, like i said, it was still a decent flick
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

I hold the Terminator films to a high standard given T1/T2 and I'm not feeling the lightning strike with this fourth installment. I disliked T3, I dislike McG and this film is not taking my money. At best, I'd use the ole free passes to see it, but I'm not even feeling the need to waste the few free passes I have left on T4.

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

GamePlayer wrote:I hold the Terminator films to a high standard given T1/T2 and I'm not feeling the lightning strike with this fourth installment. I disliked T3, I dislike McG and this film is not taking my money. At best, I'd use the ole free passes to see it, but I'm not even feeling the need to waste the few free passes I have left on T4.
i've yet to see it, but these reviews are disheartening :(
especially after i just did a terminator marathon this week to prep myself for the new one
I am not my own.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

We should get drunk, go see it, yell at the screen every time it sucks (which should see us constantly yelling) and get kicked out. It would make the experience of going to T4 that much more enjoyable :)

After this week is over and I've had my fun trashing this film on every message board to which I belong, I'm probably going to re-watch T1/T2 to remind myself why Terminator fucking rocks :)

Movies like Terminator Salvation is the reason internet file sharing was invented.

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Me and my best friend faked a fight and got thrown out of Ghandi. :clap:
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

GamePlayer wrote:We should get drunk, go see it, yell at the screen every time it sucks (which should see us constantly yelling) and get kicked out. It would make the experience of going to T4 that much more enjoyable :)

After this week is over and I've had my fun trashing this film on every message board to which I belong, I'm probably going to re-watch T1/T2 to remind myself why Terminator fucking rocks :)

Movies like Terminator Salvation is the reason internet file sharing was invented.
lol QFT... i'll see a trailer for something that doesnt look worth paying for and say "that's why the internet was invented folks"
I am not my own.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:Me and my best friend faked a fight and got thrown out of Ghandi. :clap:
My personal opinion of you just shot up way, way up again.

Which in this case really worries me. :P

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:Me and my best friend faked a fight and got thrown out of Ghandi. :clap:
Did each of you argue loudly about dispute between the Indians and the British first, then come to fake blows?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Omphalos wrote:
Did each of you argue loudly about dispute between the Indians and the British first, then come to fake blows?
They argued about who's the coolest : The Dalai Lama or Ghandi... :)
Neutrinos watch alert !

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

This was a long time ago (1982?) but I think we started the fight with an argument about violence being wrong. :wink:
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:This was a long time ago (1982?) but I think we started the fight with an argument about violence being wrong. :wink:
But of course... :)
Neutrinos watch alert !

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”