New Stargate Show

SF genre TV and Movie discussions

New Stargate Show

Postby Omphalos » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:26 pm

Apparently Robert Carlyle is going to star in the new Stargate show, called Stargate Universe.

FYI, this sounds to me like Stargate: Voyager, and I was not too pleased as to how it was shaping up, until I read this today. I think its time to move the fucking Stargate gang forward. They keep learning all these cool things, and they keep the whole program secret so the race does not benefit from it. How stupid is that? Time to give up on that and transform Earth, and move humanity towards becoming like the more evolved races.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5676
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:46 pm

Hmm. He's OK I guess, but something about him annoys me for some reason.
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:20 am

I like him. But then again I tend to be mighty easy on Scots. :D
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5676
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby inhuien » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:15 am

SandChigger wrote:Hmm. He's OK I guess, but something about him annoys me for some reason.

Did you ever see him in Trainspotting? He played a absolute crazy-ass B called Begbie, If you've not seen it do try to.
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
inhuien
 
Posts: 741
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:54 am

Postby SandChigger » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:09 am

Did see and enjoy it. In fact, that may be the first thing I remember seeing him in. (I'm sure there was something before?)

It's not that I don't like him...it's just that he annoys me. ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby GamePlayer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:11 am

Carlyle is great, but I'm not interested in a Stargate series. Just wanted to add my praise for his acting :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby A Thing of Eternity » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:53 pm

I can't handle much more B level SF, I could enjoy the first SG1 show (movie was much better though), I couldn't stand Atlantis, doubt I'll be able to enjoy a spinoff of a spinoff.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 1:22 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby Liege-Killer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:50 pm

I knew that face looked familiar -- saw him in 24: Redemption a few weeks ago. Other than that, I'm not sure what else I've seen him in. I'm with Chigger though, he does seem slightly annoying for some reason.

I had hopes for this show, but if that description is right, then it IS SG Voyager, and that would really suck.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
User avatar
Liege-Killer
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:06 am

Postby Trang » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:52 am

The thing that bothers me the most is the cancelation of long running sci-fi shows this past couple years and the backfill just isnt there.

I never really watched stargate, but obtained the full 10 seasons of SG1 and the first 4 seasons of SG: Atlantis, and have all the movies. I really enjoy them. I will watch the new one, but agree it seems to be going in the wrong direction.

Watched all the startreks(even enterprise which I really liked for some reason I cant put finger on) but hated voyager.

Babylon5, and its spin offs. Farscape, Firefly, Space above and beyond, Earth 2, on and on.

Hopefully this Stargate works out. Im still torn on spin off from the NEW BSG but will probably watch it as well.

Trang
User avatar
Trang
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:45 pm
Location: Hot Tub Time Machine

Postby The Phantom » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:34 am

firefly is the shit. period.
User avatar
The Phantom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby Omphalos » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:15 pm

Baraka Bryan wrote:firefly is the shit. period.


I never go into that show until the DVD's came out. I tried watching the first two aired episodes (the one with the train robbery, and then something else - can't remember what) and did not like it. On the broadcast version it was edited so poorly that you had no idea who these people were. I got confused and stopped watching. But the DVD version is awesome, and I love it now.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5676
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby GamePlayer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:34 pm

B5 hit during my "starved for non-formulaic sci-fi" period, so naturally I latched onto it. But the show has not aged well at all and I can't watch it anymore. It's not even the special effects; the acting and dialog can be really annoying at times. I acknowledge the show now more in terms of concept and what it did for sci-fi on TV rather than the actual execution of the show.

Stargate SG-1 is comfort food that I can watch, but it's not enticing entertainment that I'll ever go back to of my own accord. Never watched Earth 2, Space Above and Beyond, or Farscape, and never wanted to. Andromeda had potential, but when they fired Wolfe it all went for shit when it wasn't that strong to begin with. Missed opportunity.

Lost is a revolving pyramid scheme for adverts. Heroes: The Next Generation is a Trek clone masquerading as show about superheroes, right down to the oh-so-PC-it-hurts broad ethnic casting to the time travel plots and evil twins.

Firefly/Serenity rocked. The loss of that series was a major blow to my opinion of sci-fi television; BSG re-imagined is the only thing that saved my opinion of sci-fi television.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby The Phantom » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:55 pm

Omphalos wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:firefly is the shit. period.


I never go into that show until the DVD's came out. I tried watching the first two aired episodes (the one with the train robbery, and then something else - can't remember what) and did not like it. On the broadcast version it was edited so poorly that you had no idea who these people were. I got confused and stopped watching. But the DVD version is awesome, and I love it now.


ya fox fucked that one up badly. the reason they'd make no sense is because the original pilot explaining who the characters were wasn't aired first and they screwed up the order. sooo much potential and fox screwed it up completely.

i'm loving the graphic novels though
User avatar
The Phantom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby Omphalos » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:13 pm

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:firefly is the shit. period.


I never go into that show until the DVD's came out. I tried watching the first two aired episodes (the one with the train robbery, and then something else - can't remember what) and did not like it. On the broadcast version it was edited so poorly that you had no idea who these people were. I got confused and stopped watching. But the DVD version is awesome, and I love it now.


ya fox fucked that one up badly. the reason they'd make no sense is because the original pilot explaining who the characters were wasn't aired first and they screwed up the order. sooo much potential and fox screwed it up completely.

i'm loving the graphic novels though


Ive been meaning to pick those up.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5676
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby The Phantom » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:21 am

Omphalos wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:firefly is the shit. period.


I never go into that show until the DVD's came out. I tried watching the first two aired episodes (the one with the train robbery, and then something else - can't remember what) and did not like it. On the broadcast version it was edited so poorly that you had no idea who these people were. I got confused and stopped watching. But the DVD version is awesome, and I love it now.


ya fox fucked that one up badly. the reason they'd make no sense is because the original pilot explaining who the characters were wasn't aired first and they screwed up the order. sooo much potential and fox screwed it up completely.

i'm loving the graphic novels though


Ive been meaning to pick those up.


"those left behind" was really good and helped bridge the show/movie well. the second was just a fun story. I'm looking forward to the one about Book and what it will reveal about his past
User avatar
The Phantom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby Omphalos » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:52 am

Maybe later today? I got a bunch of book store gift cards yesterday.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5676
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: New Stargate Show

Postby Rakis » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:00 pm

Saw the pilot tonight. I'm not a big fan of Stargate, but this was interesting. Solid acting by Carlyle. Can't stand the whizkid/videogamenerd...I didn't have any BSG vibe about it, although it was a bit darker than SG1...unless they find an Ancient word that means frak... :)=
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: New Stargate Show

Postby Omphalos » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:45 pm

I liked it. The senator's daughter kind of bugged me. "And he would never take sides when I got into a fight with my mom!"

:roll: Save it, sister.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5676
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: New Stargate Show

Postby SandChigger » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:16 am

This is new, right? First season/pilot?

I saw the ads for it while I was back.... :(
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: New Stargate Show

Postby Omphalos » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:49 am

Ayup. Series premier tonight on Sci-Fi.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5676
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: New Stargate Show

Postby Freakzilla » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:40 pm

That's SyFy. :roll:


I watched the first two episodes, I liked it.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Re: New Stargate Show

Postby Omphalos » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:42 pm

I liked it too. I see that a bunch of people are still comparing it to BSG, which I disagree with. It looks like it because it uses the same colors and some of the same shots and camera angles, and its about a beat up ship in space, but it really felt to me like Stargate. Still, I liked it all right.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5676
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: New Stargate Show

Postby SandChigger » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:35 pm

Evidently KJA liked it, too. :roll:

What's Scalzi's involvement?
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: New Stargate Show

Postby Omphalos » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:45 pm

SandChigger wrote:Evidently KJA liked it, too. :roll:

What's Scalzi's involvement?


I haven't gone to Scalzi's blog yet, but Ive seen a few quotes by him on the web about the show.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5676
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: New Stargate Show

Postby Freakzilla » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:06 am

I noted the similarity, but it was different enough to stay interesting. I got really bored fast with the old Stargates but this one seems like it has limitless possibilities. The communication stones were a bit of a stretch for me. I thought the concept of the Ancient ship flying away from Earth FTL was fun.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Re: New Stargate Show

Postby Rakis » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Damn! I missed the second episode ! :doh:
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: New Stargate Show

Postby Omphalos » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:43 pm

Rakis wrote:Damn! I missed the second episode ! :doh:


Not five minutes ago I saw that it was re-airing on SciFi later tonight. Set your recorder to pick it up.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5676
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: New Stargate Show

Postby Rakis » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:38 am

Was too busy changing diapers :dance:

Oh well... :)=
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe


Return to Genre TV and Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron