12 upcoming sci-fi remakes and revivals

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Liege-Killer

12 upcoming sci-fi remakes and revivals

Post by Liege-Killer »

Here's the list. Some I'd heard of already, some not.

I can't see a single item on the list that really needs a remake or continuation.

Hollywood continues to cannibalize itself.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Logan's Run couldn't get any worse. I hated that dog when it came out. And I've been waiting for a remake of When Worlds Collide for years. If its good then they could do After Worlds Collide too.

I'm practically in line already for Terminator. That sounds awesome.

The rest don't need to be revisited. I can only imagine how badly they will fuck up Frankenstein; they'll probably make it a straight monster movie, with Paris Hilton as his bride.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

...Or Paris as the monster :)

I really enjoyed When Worlds Collide as a kid...
Neutrinos watch alert !

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I love that one, too. :)

As for the rest of it, I probably don't have to repeat myself yet again on Hollywood and remakes. Looks like the Dune movie will fit right in. :roll:

This is a sad time for creativity, obviously.
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

McG is the worst thing to hit film since Uwe Boll and he's even more pretentious than Brett Ratner (which I didn't think was possible). But at least this latest Terminator film will get the welcome it deserves; I was in theatres this summer when the Terminator: Salvation trailer played and it was met with well-deserved laughter from the crowd. Music to my ears. I hope the failure of this PG-13 disgrace buries McG once and for all.

Aronofsky's Robocop could be interesting, but the original was a fantastic ode to cinematic violence and the tragic Frankenstein myth served with a side of brilliant political/social satire. Verhoven's masterpiece will be tough to beat, but at least with Darren at the helm they have the right idea.

Darabont is hit and miss, so his remake of Fahrenheit 451 could be really good or it could tank. At the very least it should be an interesting film, if not entirely successful. I'd actually welcome a remake of this one, but ironically I've never seen Truffaut's original (which is a rarity for me).
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Himachil

Post by Himachil »

GamePlayer wrote:Aronofsky's Robocop could be interesting, but the original was a fantastic ode to cinematic violence and the tragic Frankenstein myth served with a side of brilliant political/social satire. Verhoven's masterpiece will be tough to beat, but at least with Darren at the helm they have the right idea.
Fully agree with that - there are good remakes and a project by Aronofsky should be interesting at the very least.

One other thing I noticed:
Del Toro has also talked about making a “Slaughterhouse Five” remake.
I've just finished the audiobook and it was brilliant, the 70s film is a favourite too. So I'm not sure there's much to add... but I do like a good story well told. :)
And that, children, is how the little bunny rabbit got his fluffy white tail.

As a minimum, we must demand from SF that it be wiser than the world it speaks to.
--Darko Suvin; On the Poetics of the Science Fiction Genre
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:McG is the worst thing to hit film since Uwe Boll and he's even more pretentious than Brett Ratner (which I didn't think was possible). But at least this latest Terminator film will get the welcome it deserves; I was in theatres this summer when the Terminator: Salvation trailer played and it was met with well-deserved laughter from the crowd. Music to my ears. I hope the failure of this PG-13 disgrace buries McG once and for all.
Fuck! Forgot about McG. Oh well. I'll still see it.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

GamePlayer wrote:McG is the worst thing to hit film since Uwe Boll and he's even more pretentious than Brett Ratner (which I didn't think was possible). But at least this latest Terminator film will get the welcome it deserves; I was in theatres this summer when the Terminator: Salvation trailer played and it was met with well-deserved laughter from the crowd. Music to my ears. I hope the failure of this PG-13 disgrace buries McG once and for all.

Aronofsky's Robocop could be interesting, but the original was a fantastic ode to cinematic violence and the tragic Frankenstein myth served with a side of brilliant political/social satire. Verhoven's masterpiece will be tough to beat, but at least with Darren at the helm they have the right idea.

Darabont is hit and miss, so his remake of Fahrenheit 451 could be really good or it could tank. At the very least it should be an interesting film, if not entirely successful. I'd actually welcome a remake of this one, but ironically I've never seen Truffaut's original (which is a rarity for me).
I recommend Truffaut's movie... :)
Neutrinos watch alert !

tanzeelat

Post by tanzeelat »

Me too. While I didn't like Jules et Jim, I thought Fahrenheit 451 was excellent. Possibly because it failed so completely to look like any kind of plausible future, and instead just looked like the 1960s in a more forward-thinking part of Europe. Having said that, casting Julie Christie in two roles was inspired.
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Rakis wrote:I recommend Truffaut's movie... :)
I had never seen it either, so I took your recommendation and found it at the video store the other day (I was amazed, since the selection there is getting thinner and thinner all the time, becoming more focused on what's current and popular).

I just got done watching it. Very well done. A few minor deviations, but overall very faithful to the novel. And the dvd had an interview with Bradbury as a nice bonus. :)
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Liege-Killer wrote:
Rakis wrote:I recommend Truffaut's movie... :)
I had never seen it either, so I took your recommendation and found it at the video store the other day (I was amazed, since the selection there is getting thinner and thinner all the time, becoming more focused on what's current and popular).

I just got done watching it. Very well done. A few minor deviations, but overall very faithful to the novel. And the dvd had an interview with Bradbury as a nice bonus. :)
:D
Neutrinos watch alert !

Trang

Post by Trang »

I am pretty much "fuck no way in hell" on most of these, as the originals are classic and dont need reboot or redo.

Forbidden planet, When worlds collide, Westworld, Robocop, Ghostbusters, The Illustrated man, Fahrenheit 451, Frankenstein, The creature from the black lagoon.

Im ok with flash gordon, logons run, and terminator. Mainly because I love each of these so much and have been wanting more for years. I know some dont like logans run, but I was mesmerized by it as kid, and I watched the tv series as a kid, and the whole concept I got into.

The campy 80's flash gordon I luv to death, and can only hope that hollywood finally does some justice to this great character. I wached the 1930's serials with buster crab, I watched the animated show when I was kid, FLASH Save us!!!

Terminator just love the concept and with Sarah conner chronicles really have been craving more. T3 sucked, and with what I have read about the director MCg It will probably be bad, but will see it.

Trang

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”