The Next Nostradamus...

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Nekhrun
Archivist

The Next Nostradamus...

Post by Nekhrun »

I don't know anything about it other than the add I just saw, but it's going to be a special on the History Channel about a scientist who claims to have written the history of humankind into a mathematical algorithm. There was also something about him using it to predict the future. And get this, his name wasn't Hari Seldon.
The History Channel Website wrote:Two men sharing startling visions of the future possess distinctly different backgrounds: Michel de Nostradamus was a French apothecary and healer in the 16th century; he would become the most famous seer in history. His 21st century counterpart is Dr. Bruce Bueno de Mesquita, a renowned political scientist who teaches game theory at New York University and Stanford. While Nostradamus looked to the stars and mysticism to divine his apocalyptic revelations, Dr. Bueno de Mesquita relies on the most omnipotent tool ever designed by man to predict future events: the computer. This special explores not only the commonalities of these men's visions about World War III, famine and the coming of the Anti-Christ, but it also traces the evolution from mysticism to hard math, and determines whether science has always existed in prophecy, manifesting itself in different forms through the ages.
For those of you who are interested and have access to the History Channel:

Sunday, November 30 09:00 PM

Monday, December 01 01:00 AM

Saturday, December 06 05:00 PM

No timezone listed, but if it's showing me the one I'm in, it's Central.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

That's funny, I was just thinking psychohistory when I read the words "mathematical algorithm", but you beat me to it :)

On the topic of prognostication, anyone ever notice how the future is always terrible, and most importantly, filled with nothing but mysticism/religious doom? I mean, no one ever predicts the landing of men on the moon or the birth of democracy. You never hear "Some day we will stop persecuting gays out of fear and legalize same-sex marriage!".

No, rather it's always "You're gonna die, I'm gonna die, we're all gonna die"! :)

And who the hell wrote that synopsis? KJA?
...the most omnipotent tool ever designed by man to predict future events: the computer
What the fuck does that statement even mean? :)
I gotta get some more RAM in my system at home so I can win the lottery! :P
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

GamePlayer wrote: No, rather it's always "You're gonna die, I'm gonna die, we're all gonna die"! :)
What About Bob? :D
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Bob?

You mean, Bonzo for Barsoom Bob Williams? Crazy Martian Multiple-Bypassive-Agressive Bob? He died. :lol:

GP, HAD to have been Kevin wrote it. Degrees of omnipotence?! Whoa.... :shock:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:Bob?

You mean, Bonzo for Barsoom Bob Williams? Crazy Martian Multiple-Bypassive-Agressive Bob? He died. :lol:
What About Bob?
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Ah...that.

I think I remember seeing that....
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

His quote up there was when Siggy was explaining to Bob why he was so depressed.

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”