Twilight

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Twilight

Post by Eyes High »

Anyone going to see the Twilight movies or have kids who are begging to be taken to it?
I shall lift up my eyes unto the glory of the Lord.

Safety's just danger out of place.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

My god-daughters are all clamoring for it, and two of the three of them have already seen it. My daughter is too young for it.

Ive never read it before, but it seems like a teen-girl thing.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

It's terrible. The books are poorly written and the characters are bland. The movie is even worse, lots of long gazed and emo crap.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

So it's a cheap Buffy the VampireSlayer knockoff? :wink:
Neutrinos watch alert !

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Not to knock the opposite sex, but almost any time I hear a film is popular with hordes of screaming young girls, I worry. Of course, sometimes it works (I liked Interview With The Vampire, despite a pretty boy cast that sent every girl I knew into full feminine gush mode) but more often than not such interest is a big warning sign that I'm about to choke on cinematic trash novel fare. I'm skipping this one.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

GamePlayer wrote:Not to knock the opposite sex, but almost any time I hear a film is popular with hordes of screaming young girls, I worry. Of course, sometimes it works (I liked Interview With The Vampire, despite a pretty boy cast that sent every girl I knew into full feminine gush mode) but more often than not such interest is a big warning sign that I'm about to choke on cinematic trash novel fare. I'm skipping this one.
saw a news clipping where there was a massive crowd lining up to catch a glimpse of the actors from the movie at some press conference and judging by some of the general characteristics of the crowd, I know it's not much to miss.

my gf and her sister read the books and they said that while it is an addicting story that you want to finish, it really is a painful read. they're going to see the movie still :roll:
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

The IMDB news and "hit list" has been infected with articles about the male lead and the fan notice he's been receiving even before the film has hit theatres. Talk about a case of the cart drawing the horse. :roll: Sounds to me like the only "good" thing to say about Twilight is that Teen Beat is about to have a spike in sales once this film make the gossip rounds. Yeah, definitely passing this one by.

So your girlfriend has a sister, hmmm? ;) :P

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

GamePlayer wrote:The IMDB news and "hit list" has been infected with articles about the male lead and the fan notice he's been receiving even before the film has hit theatres. Talk about a case of the cart drawing the horse. :roll: Sounds to me like the only "good" thing to say about Twilight is that Teen Beat is about to have a spike in sales once this film make the gossip rounds. Yeah, definitely passing this one by.

illegally younger sister :P
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:The IMDB news and "hit list" has been infected with articles about the male lead and the fan notice he's been receiving even before the film has hit theatres. Talk about a case of the cart drawing the horse. :roll: Sounds to me like the only "good" thing to say about Twilight is that Teen Beat is about to have a spike in sales once this film make the gossip rounds. Yeah, definitely passing this one by.

Isn't the age of consent in Canada like, 12 or something? All those mining towns in the north need women so they lowered the bar to increase the pool or something? :P
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Omphalos wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:

Isn't the age of consent in Canada like, 12 or something? All those mining towns in the north need women so they lowered the bar to increase the pool or something? :P
lol the Conservatives just raised it to 16, but it was at 14 for a few years
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Rakis wrote:So it's a cheap Buffy the VampireSlayer knockoff? :wink:
Minus big bad and lesbians :wink:

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Baraka Bryan wrote: lol the Conservatives just raised it to 16, but it was at 14 for a few years
Yeah, the stupid Tackling Violent Crime Act and because North Americans in general have actually regressed sexual attitudes in recent decades, it passed. Gotta keep abusing our children as the ultimate scapegoat. Smoking is bad for you, think of the children! Guns are bad for you, think of the children! Video games are bad for you, think of the children! I swear, the more we abuse our children the worse it gets. Each generation has fewer and fewer coping skills and it's a direct result of institutionalized patronizing like this. We got more Hyppo's on the way to adulthood in this country than anyone cares to admit.

*sigh*

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

GamePlayer wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote: lol the Conservatives just raised it to 16, but it was at 14 for a few years
Yeah, the stupid Tackling Violent Crime Act and because North Americans in general have actually regressed sexual attitudes in recent decades, it passed. Gotta keep abusing our children as the ultimate scapegoat. Smoking is bad for you, think of the children! Guns are bad for you, think of the children! Video games are bad for you, think of the children! I swear, the more we abuse our children the worse it gets. Each generation has fewer and fewer coping skills and it's a direct result of institutionalized patronizing like this. We got more Hyppo's on the way to adulthood in this country than anyone cares to admit.

*sigh*
:lol: Don't hold back, tell us what you really think! :wink:

I agree, 'cept for the guns bit - but that's another story, nothing to do with child safety for me - lets not get into that one again eh? The longer we treat people like children the longer they will be children. Shit, people used to have families and be off fighting wars by the time they were 18, now we don't even let them drink in some provinces... I think we've gone way over the line between protection and over-protection.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Yes! And treat people like children long enough and you end up with . . . Japan! :lol:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:Yes! And treat people like children long enough and you end up with . . . Japan! :lol:
Childish place? :lol: Haven't been (aside from a one hour layover in the airport on my way to Malaysia once... doesn't really count though) so I'm afraid I don't quite get your joke. :?
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

We got more Hyppo's on the way to adulthood in this country than anyone cares to admit.
I'm just in denial... :(
Neutrinos watch alert !

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”