Most Plausible Genre Movies

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Most Plausible Genre Movies

Post by Omphalos »

According to Yahoo, that paragon of journalistic integrity.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Jurrassic Park eh? :lol:
Though scientists are a long way off from cloning dinosaurs-they haven't gone much past Dolly the cloned sheep-the scientific fundamentals are there.
Yup, allll the fundamentals. Except... um... dino DNA. :roll:

Oh well, at least the guy knew enough to put Clarke at the top of the list.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Didn't B just say somewhere that scientists have removed still viable pollen from a mosquito trapped in amber from loooooong ago, and have bred it and are now using it to brew beer?

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Omphalos wrote:Didn't B just say somewhere that scientists have removed still viable pollen from a mosquito trapped in amber from loooooong ago, and have bred it and are now using it to brew beer?
\

mmmmmmm dino beer :D
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

While legions of sci-fi nerds debate that question, here's are flicks that stand out:
"Are" = "our"?

Or should it be: "here are the flicks...."?

Why do people have so little self-respect that they willingly put their inability to create grammatical sentences in their own native language out there for others to see? :roll:

Iron Man is one of the 5 most plausible sf movies? Yeah..... whatever. Maybe it's more plausible than most superhero movies, but I wouldn't put it up against sci-fi movies in general.

And I never considered The Truman Show to be science fiction at all.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I was more bothered by the "legions of Sci-Fi nerds..." part of the comment. I personally make stupid mistakes like "here's are" quite a bit. Everytime I see that I think "Well then. Fuck you!"
Do you consider utopia/dystopia to come under SF, or to be a separate and distinct category?

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Liege-Killer wrote:Why do people have so little self-respect that they willingly put their inability to create grammatical sentences in their own native language out there for others to see? :roll:
Oh, your being too critical. You can't blame them. Usually their just "typin' like lightning" and trying to get the ideas out. ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Omphalos wrote:I was more bothered by the "legions of Sci-Fi nerds..." part of the comment. I personally make stupid mistakes like "here's are" quite a bit. Everytime I see that I think "Well then. Fuck you!"
Do you consider utopia/dystopia to come under SF, or to be a separate and distinct category?
Oops! See, I just did it here. Here is what that post above should have looked like:
Some dipshit who forgot to proof should have wrote:I was more bothered by the "legions of Sci-Fi nerds..." part of the comment. Everytime I see that I think "Well then. Fuck you!"

I personally make stupid mistakes like "here's are" quite a bit.
I usually make that kind of mistake not because I fat-finger the keys, or because I type on the fly. Its because I rethink what I am saying half-way through, and forget to go back and clean up.

Sorry if you thought I was saying "fuck you," L-K. I promise, it was just a stupid mistake, and I really was not! :oops:

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I don't think he would have taken it that way.

I just thought it was kinda surreal. :P (Shuru, as my students say. :lol: )
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Omphalos wrote:Sorry if you thought I was saying "fuck you," L-K. I promise, it was just a stupid mistake, and I really was not! :oops:
Well..... I admit, I was wondering for a minute there, before I read your correction. Some people do get pretty bent out of shape towards grammar nazis like me. :lol:

About that, though: I can understand typing errors, but I can't understand not self-editing before publishing something for the world to read. The more formal the setting, the more I hold these errors against people. In a forum post, no big deal. But in an article on a large site like Yahoo, by someone who claims to be a writer and columnist? Yeah, I'm gonna poke fun at someone like that misusing language.

Omphalos wrote:Do you consider utopia/dystopia to come under SF, or to be a separate and distinct category?
Well, few things in life actually fit into distinct categories; almost everything has fuzzy boundaries and overlaps with everything else. Let's just say I think utopia/dystopia stories are very closely related to sf at the very least. But maybe I never paid much attention to The Truman Show, because I never thought of it as utopia/dystopia, I thought it was more of a movie about media manipulation and people's addiction to soap operas and "reality tv."
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”