Robocop

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Robocop

Post by Omphalos »

According to Scifi.com, Aronofsky is going to be making a new Robocop movie.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

And everything old is new again...and again...and again....

:roll:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

This could be very interesting, the first Robobcop was great and Aronofsky has the potential to put on a great mind fuck with the material.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Aronofsky is a little too avant garde for me. Robocop is about in-your-face consequences of bad situations. I don't really see a lot of that coming from him.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

I always thought the more esoteric aspects of Verhoven's original Robocop made it such an enduring stand out film as opposed to just another forgettable piece of fluff.

Aronofsky does seem like an odd choice for a Robocop film, but Aronofsky is likely looking for something more broad, conventional and popular. This is how most directors survive the studio system, by using mainstream success to bankroll the less popular, indie projects. Richard Linklater is probably the most modern, visible example of this (bouncing between broad, popular fare like School of Rock or Dazed and Confused to more arthouse works like Waking Life or A Scanner Darkly).

Still, he can't do any worse than Robocop 2 or 3 :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:I always thought the more esoteric aspects of Verhoven's original Robocop made it such an enduring stand out film as opposed to just another forgettable piece of fluff.
I see what you mean. But it was always the characters vicseral reactions to their realizations that made that film awesome. Those esoteric aspects were translated extremely well into "common, everyday parlance" that made that movie great, and I think that is exactly why it has taken it so long for Robocop to be regarded as a classic. The brilliance was hidden behind a Schwartzenegger-like facade. It was one of those films like [ducks]Pulp Fiction[/ducks] that made art out of violence. Aronofsky? Not sure he has that in him.

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:And everything old is new again...and again...and again....

:roll:
...and again....

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.ph ... 0&id=58051
Neutrinos watch alert !

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”