Jumper II

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Jumper II

Post by Omphalos »

:roll: (click the rolley smiley).

Cant fucking wait for this stinker. In case you are wondering why, Rumor is that it cost $80M to make and took in $221.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

You mean the first one did that well?

I forget, did you see it? I think it showed over here, but I wasn't interested; will see it if and when it comes on the movie channels. (Thought the concept seemed silly and don't particularly like the lead actor...what's his name, Heyseedson?)

2011...isn't that the same year the Dune movie will come out? (snicker)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

SandChigger wrote:Thought the concept seemed silly....
I thought the concept was great. That is to say, it could have been great if there had been a good SFnal explanation to back it up and to play around with. There were so many things they could have done with that, but they threw that all out the window, turning it instead into a simplistic action movie. But hey, "simplistic" and "Hollywood" are synonyms.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Didnt see it. Looked stupid and I cant stand that kid.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Liege-Killer wrote:I thought the concept was great. That is to say, it could have been great if there had been a good SFnal explanation to back it up and to play around with. There were so many things they could have done with that, but they threw that all out the window, turning it instead into a simplistic action movie. But hey, "simplistic" and "Hollywood" are synonyms.
Yeah, I should have been more specific: if it seemed there was some explanation behind it I might have gotten more interested. After all, I have no problem with "far-casting" in Dan Simmons' Hyperion universe. (Or its predecessor in Simak's A Choice of Gods. ;) )

The whole Jumper-Paladin(sp?) conflict from time immemorial left me cold as well. Most stories with ancient secret societies usually do...especially if they have vastly superior technology.

Oh well. ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

I've heard good things about the YA book it was based on, haven't seen it yet though.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

SandChigger wrote: The whole Jumper-Paladin(sp?) conflict from time immemorial left me cold as well. Most stories with ancient secret societies usually do...especially if they have vastly superior technology.
I definitely agree with that.

When I first saw the trailer for this movie way back when, and heard the phrase "welcome to the war," I somehow envisioned this war involving some sort of classic SF villains -- villains who are aliens, or from some other dimension, or from the future, or something. It never occurred to me that it would be some lame secret religious order.

And the whole thing with the mother being a paladin was just clumsily done and served no plot purpose whatsoever.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Jumper is one of the biggest piles of shite I've ever seen, Samuel L. Jackson should be ashamed of it atleast Snakes on a Plane was charming in it's own way. I want my 88 minutes back.
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
Trang

Post by Trang »

The book is worse than the movie. Its like a 90210 episide. The author sold out to hollywood, taking the money and running. The onlything sci-fi about the book is he word Teleportation, otherwise its crap.

No explanation of how he can do it, no back story, nothing. In the second book his girlfriend gets the ability just by thinking about it.

The author should be flogged than drawn and quarted in public.

The movie is better than the book. The story arc of Teleporters vs paladins had promis. Annikan ruined it with his crappy acting, and sameul jackson just got a paycheck, what was with the colored hair???

If there is a jumper 2, if the scrap everything and everybody, move ahead 100 years and tell the story about teleporters and paladins, it might be good enough to go straight to DVD!!!

Trang
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Trang wrote:The book is worse than the movie. Trang
seriously? wow note to self, don't read that book.

that movie was absolute shit.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

$POILER WARNING!!

I was hoping against hope that when he “JUMPED” into the bank vault at the start of the movie that the insufferable little prick would get stuck there a suffocate…. Ah, wishes and fishes.
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”