Apparently Flash Gordon is not completely dead....

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Apparently Flash Gordon is not completely dead....

Post by Omphalos »

....though I find it hard to believe that anyone would want to remake it. Nevertheless, here is a rumor. Not only that, but Variety has reported that there was a bidding war! I would have seriously thought that terrible series by SF Channel (don't get me started on those a-holes) would have killed any enthusiasm for a movie at all.

And, of course, Buck Rogers ain't too far behind.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Ah fook.

I'm moving to the moon.
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Don't do that SandChigger you'd only end up in a remake of Space 1999.
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

You scared me with that link. :shock:

Um, actually, I'm of an age to have watched and remember the series, thanks. But I was afraid there was really a remake afoot. ;)

(Had a bit of a Barbara Bains fixation for a while. Something about wraith-like warmed-over women. :D )

"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Hey, one of my favorite songs is about Flash!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wNf9rEPoc8Q
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Brian Blessed is so outlandishly funny in Flash Gordon.

Gordon's ALIVE, IVE, IVE, IVE.
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Gawd, this brings back memories of my early childhood.

FLASH! AAAHHH!

I really have to revisit some of Queen's music. I haven't listened to any of those songs in years. That was some of the best rock music ever made.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

You're so right GamePlayer, did anyone ever see the tribute concert to Freddie? It was laughably bad insomuch as IIRC only 1 or 2 of the singers came anywhere close to Freddie's Power, range, stage presence and what have you, Annie Lennox and the chap from Wham(his name escapes me).

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Open fire!

Awesome soundtack by Queen.

I remember Space 1999, I even had the Eagle 1 Playset.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Here is another song by Queen that was a soundtrack, and is awesome beyond all belief.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnrXiaPVeHY
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

inhuien
No, never caught it. Freddie Mercury was one of the greatest live performers of rock music ever, like Robert Plant or Jim Morrison, so it would be nearly impossible to live up to the performance benchmark he set.

Freak Z
I remember listening to that album many times as a child. Great stuff

Pardot Kynes
Way ahead of you. Last night I went on YouTube and watched a whole bunch of Queen videos. Fantastic stuff, especially the Highlander soundtrack (one of my all-time favorite film soundtracks).
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Did you listed to Seven Seas of Rhye?

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”