Lost: I have it all figured out

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Lost: I have it all figured out

Post by Omphalos »

OK. I think I finally have most of this worked out. I think that the big secret on the island is that there is some sort of time machine/teleportation device, and that is why Widmore wants the island so badly. With that device he can pretty much own the world. Ben’s sudden appearance in the desert two episodes ago, Richard’s unchanged appearance throughout time, and Mr. Happy’s comment that he can go wherever he wants to go easily support this theory. And, keeping the island safe from exploiters like Widmore is why Ben thinks that his brutal tactics make him and his own "the good guys." I also think the presence of a teleportation device explains how they are going to “move the island” as Jack’s dad obviously mentioned to Locke last night.

I think that the Darhma Initiative built the thing, and used the electromagnet to run it, which harnessed some property of the island. But it was an experimental technology that accessed a power they could not control, so they had to discharge energy every once in a while, which explains the hatch with the numbers. Kind of. It also doesn’t explain how the machine, which is probably at the Temple, is working now, since that infrastructure was destroyed, and the machine is still obviously being used. The psychological tests that Dharma was doing were to make sure that the electromagnet and/or time travel did not mess with people's heads too much, or to see if they would be the types who could handle the enormous job of being chrono-naughts.

Why did "The Oceanic Six" go back to reality? Jack and Hugo are nuts. They need to get better first. And I think Hugo has a mission there, so he needed to go. Jack also may be there to support Kate, who is there to support Aaron, who ultimately may have his own job to do. but, Kate is a cold-blooded murderer, and The Others never wanted her. Aaron went with Kate. Said was needed as an enforcer by Ben. Sun wanted her baby born away from the island. I think she has some sort of amnesia.

What this does not explain is the healing properties of the island. I hope that they come up with some interesting SF explanation for that, and don’t fall back to mysticism/fantasy. It also would account for the purpose of the smoke monster, but not its genesis or nature. There is obvioiusly still lots to be discussed there; many minor mysteries, as it were.

There are two more themes that they will be developing in the last two seasons. The first is the building of a society, and the second is luck.

Building of a society: The Others have always wanted this, and the Tailies have a few times made reference to Lord of the Flies. The Others have always wanted some stable group to take care of the island and keep it away from men like Widmore. The Tailies have had a chance to decide if they are going to descend into barbarity (and choose the knife, like Locke as a boy did) or build up a society based on rules and fairness (Locke should have picked that Book of Laws, shouldn’t he have).

As for luck, I have been convinced that the best thing that ever happened to every single one of those people since season 1 was crash landing on the island in the first place. Everyone’s life got better after the crash, they were just too miserable to know it. Consider: Jack was able to escape his past and family life. Desmond will be able to foil his enemy, Widmore. Kate escaped prison. Hugo escaped his bad luck (which plays in on two levels). Aaron stayed with his mother. Charlie escaped drugs. Locke got his legs back and found his destiny. Sun and Jin fell in love again and made a family. And while the cast is talking about things like “fate” and “destiny” right now, what it boils down to is luck, and I hope the writers ultimately acknowledge that.

Anyway, its 10:20 a.m., PT or so on Friday, May 09, 2008. Mark this day in your calendars as the day Omphalos explained this all to you, because I know I’m right.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

:D Cabin Fever was a good episode!

I like your theory of everything. I wonder if Hurley and Jack's missions are over since Charlie is telling them they need to go back. Plus he told Jack (through Hurley) he isn't supposed to raise Aaron. I bet Kate will be getting the urge to go back soon.. wonder who'll come visit her.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Has Jack been told that yet? I recall that Hugo told him someone would visit him soon, and that we have not seen that scene yet? Hugo I remember was told by the ghost of Charlie, but has Jack actually been told yet?

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Omphalos wrote:Has Jack been told that yet? I recall that Hugo told him someone would visit him soon, and that we have not seen that scene yet? Hugo I remember was told by the ghost of Charlie, but has Jack actually been told yet?
I don't think so. Last thing I remember was Jack seeing the ghost of his dad in the hospital, but they didn't get a chance to talk.

As for your theory, it certainly sounds plausible, even though there are things it doesn't explain. I am still not sure which way the show is going to go: with a sci-fi explanation for everything (a scientific invention as you posit, or discovery of some natural force), or with a mystical explanation. Unfortunately, given how much of the public embraces mysticism, it wouldn't surprise me to see them pander to that segment of the viewership.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

They haven't shown us Jack being told to go back, but at the beginning of the season he was desperate to go back. The way they jump around in time makes it confusing but I'm assuming he has been told and they'll show us eventually.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:They haven't shown us Jack being told to go back, but at the beginning of the season he was desperate to go back. The way they jump around in time makes it confusing but I'm assuming he has been told and they'll show us eventually.
Ah, yes. You are right, but I think that was at the end of last season when he was tweaking with his island jones.

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Yeah.. it was the season finale when he tried to jump off the bridge and met Kate at the airport. I think they recapped and filled some of that in one of the episodes this season, but it's hard to keep it all straight.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I love it when I'm right. Not only does it not happen very often, but...I'm married, and when it does happen I'm the only one who notices.

OK. Cool stuff last night. Im beginning to think that Jack's dad who is wandering all over the island is an earlier version that Ben got with the "magic box" which is starting to look like the real time machine/teleportation device. I think that one that Ben wrecked last night was just an earlier version. Not like he would intentionally ruin the thing, right? If so, Dharma probably did build it.

I'm betting that he also took Michael off the boat before it blew. I dont think Hurley telling Walt that Michael is alive is proof positive that he is, though I think it most likely Locke/Benthem clued him into what is going on there. I wonder if he got Jun too?

And, I thought that magic sluice gate was pretty stupid. It was right along there with the walls of fire and knives that the crew had to get through in Galaxy Quest to get to the engines. What the hell was he opening?

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

I have yet to see a single episode of Lost.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Pardot Kynes wrote:I have yet to see a single episode of Lost.
You should get them on NetFlix, Pard. They are awesome right outta the box.

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Yeah, there's been time machine speculation since the beginning. The guy in the Dharma film mentioned the Casimir effect which was also mentioned last year or the year before in some of the Lost experience stuff online. I don't know if those sites are still up, or what the links are, but there was an island with a station marked Casimir studies or something similar.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:Yeah, there's been time machine speculation since the beginning. The guy in the Dharma film mentioned the Casimir effect which was also mentioned last year or the year before in some of the Lost experience stuff online. I don't know if those sites are still up, or what the links are, but there was an island with a station marked Casimir studies or something similar.
Havent read a word of that. This stuff is pure, right-from-the-tap Omphy.

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Good call on the time machine, Omph.

That was a good episode. For the first time I can recall, we have some actual sci-fi underpinning to the whole thing -- time travel, exotic matter, etc. Pretty cool.
Omphalos wrote:And, I thought that magic sluice gate was pretty stupid. It was right along there with the walls of fire and knives that the crew had to get through in Galaxy Quest to get to the engines. What the hell was he opening?
I have no idea. And having no idea, I can't say whether or not it was stupid. But he was looking up and talking to Jacob, so that makes me wonder more than ever just who or what Jacob really is.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

You ought to be shot.

:P
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Liege-Killer wrote:Good call on the time machine, Omph.

That was a good episode. For the first time I can recall, we have some actual sci-fi underpinning to the whole thing -- time travel, exotic matter, etc. Pretty cool.
I agree, but did you see the pillar immediately inside the frozen room with the runes on it? It was right next to that wheel he turned. My heart dropped a bit when I saw that.

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Some of the effects for this episode were a bit crappy.. the wheel looked like it was made of cardboard when he was pushing it.
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Liege-Killer wrote:
You ought to be shot.

Prime Time tv isn't something on my radar.
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Omphalos wrote:I agree, but did you see the pillar immediately inside the frozen room with the runes on it? It was right next to that wheel he turned. My heart dropped a bit when I saw that.
Hmmm... no, I must have missed the pillar. Still, runes don't necessarily mean magic or anything. Could just be artistic.

When they get that up on the website I'll look at it again.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Liege-Killer wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I agree, but did you see the pillar immediately inside the frozen room with the runes on it? It was right next to that wheel he turned. My heart dropped a bit when I saw that.
Hmmm... no, I must have missed the pillar. Still, runes don't necessarily mean magic or anything. Could just be artistic.
Which would imply, I suppose, a native culture that we know nothing about yet. That certainly would be interesting for these last two seasons.

After watching years of that show I have developed quick reflexes for trivia. Did anyone catch the name on Bens coveralls when he was in the Orchid? Ive forgotten and I wanted to check to see if anyone knows anything about it.

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

The episode's up at abc.com now. I went back and looked at the runes. I can't tell much about them.... pretty generic looking.
Omphalos wrote:After watching years of that show I have developed quick reflexes for trivia. Did anyone catch the name on Bens coveralls when he was in the Orchid? Ive forgotten and I wanted to check to see if anyone knows anything about it.
Went back to this too. I didn't see him in any coveralls. Do you mean the jacket he put on before going to the rune-room? As closely as I can make out, it says "Halliwax." Which means nothing to me until I go look it up.... it's one of the names of the guy in the orientation videos.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Liege-Killer wrote:The episode's up at abc.com now. I went back and looked at the runes. I can't tell much about them.... pretty generic looking.
Omphalos wrote:After watching years of that show I have developed quick reflexes for trivia. Did anyone catch the name on Bens coveralls when he was in the Orchid? Ive forgotten and I wanted to check to see if anyone knows anything about it.
Went back to this too. I didn't see him in any coveralls. Do you mean the jacket he put on before going to the rune-room? As closely as I can make out, it says "Halliwax." Which means nothing to me until I go look it up.... it's one of the names of the guy in the orientation videos.
That's it. Halliwax. Thanks. Nothing yet, I guess. The wife is coming back from NYC on Tuesday, and Ill watch it with her again then to see what I missed.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Pardot Kynes wrote:
Liege-Killer wrote:
You ought to be shot.

Prime Time tv isn't something on my radar.
I pretty much agree. If it were not for Lost and BSG, I would read every night.

Serkanner

Post by Serkanner »

About a year ago I lost both my internet and cable tv connection. My sister borrowed me her series one and two of LOST. At the time I was certain I would not like it.

I was wrong! Very wrong.

These series are the only thing ( besides football/soccer ) I like to watch on tv nowadays. Over here we are a bit behind in episodes but then the internet provides. Yesterday I have watched the season final of season 4 ... it was bloody awesome!

I can hardly wait for season five to arrive. Fortunately there is the European Championships Football and the Olympic games to shorten the wait till Februari 2009. In the months in between I plan to watch all four seasons once more. Have to feed the addiction.
Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

Omphalos wrote:
Mandy wrote:Yeah, there's been time machine speculation since the beginning. The guy in the Dharma film mentioned the Casimir effect which was also mentioned last year or the year before in some of the Lost experience stuff online. I don't know if those sites are still up, or what the links are, but there was an island with a station marked Casimir studies or something similar.
Havent read a word of that. This stuff is pure, right-from-the-tap Omphy.
I think Mandy is just saying that you weren't the first one in line with the
time shift/machine theory, that's all. I know that's been discussed for at
least a year. Even moving the island has been mentioned well before it
ever appeared on the show.

And yeah, the island-moving wheel thingy was pretty lame, as was the gas
leaking out of the helo's gas tank. Some uncharacteristically bad effects.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”