Iron Man

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
GamePlayer

Iron Man

Post by GamePlayer »

Iron Man (2008)
Genre: Live Action Film – Action Adventure

This summer movie season starts with a surprisingly strong comic book adaptation from director Jon Favreau and starring the unlikely Robert Downey Jr. in the lead role. This time Marvel Studios offers up one of their lesser known super heroes but like his namesake Iron Man is a near bulletproof film that leaves recent offerings from bigger superheroes like Spider Man and Superman coughing on his contrails.

Robert Downey Jr. stars as Tony Stark, unscrupulous weapons manufacturer and charming billionaire ladies man. Stark runs afoul of terrorists armed with his own goods during a sale in Afghanistan, who then kidnap Stark and force him to build more weapons. With help from fellow captive Yinsen (Shaun Toub), Stark builds a crude armored suit to escape, but Yinsen dies aiding him. Once safely back home, Stark becomes a changed man and has a mind to refine his armored suit for more noble purposes, but neither his witty assistant Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) nor his executive partner Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges) are happy with the consequences of Stark’s new found conscience.

Iron Man may not be the smartest or most believable super hero film ever made, but it’s easily one of the finest. Director Jon Favreau was wise indeed to rely heavily upon a well-paced script, gut-pleasing humor and a strong lead to position his comic book film far above the competition. The special effects are well-crafted rather than innovative and it is this diligent filmmaking appearing in all aspects of the production that ultimately makes Iron Man a success. The film can feel a bit predictable and a little contrived at times, but who even cares when a movie is this much fun?

Fortunately, Iron Man also benefits from a lead as finely crafted as the mechanical suit itself. Robert Downey Jr. completely owns his role as Tony Stark, aggressively devouring the moral repulsiveness of the character as equally as he does Stark’s drive and professionalism. The charm and humor of Downey’s Stark draw us into what is an initially despicable character, but it is the unapologetic ambition of Stark that allows the audience to appreciate his flaws that in turn prove to be virtues. Helping Downey along the way is an impressive cast of actors that all add strong performances in each role, including a lovable turn from Terrence Howard as Jim Rhodes (and a not-so-subtle nod to Rhode's future role as War Machine). The film remains a wonderful thrill ride with plenty of laughs from start to finish and is never dull despite running a little over two hours.

Rating: 4 out of 5. While Iron Man sometimes offers what we’ve seen before, it offers what it has with a proficiency few films have dared attempt. Within that small group of the best cinematic super hero adventures, Iron Man is proudly counted among them

"Can" you feel it?
Last edited by GamePlayer on Sun May 04, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

It has not been since Children of Men came out that I was excited to see a movie in the theater, but I'm excited to see this one.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

It's a fun film and stay all the way through the credits its worth it.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Downey Jr as Tony Stark was a stroke of genius...i didn't saw the end of credit thing with Fury...
Neutrinos watch alert !

Eyes High
Momma Eyes

Post by Eyes High »

Liked the movie very much. The robots were actually my favorite. Would love to have his computers.
I shall lift up my eyes unto the glory of the Lord.

Safety's just danger out of place.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Eyes High wrote:Liked the movie very much. The robots were actually my favorite. Would love to have his computers.
8)
Neutrinos watch alert !

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Rakis wrote:Downey Jr as Tony Stark was a stroke of genius...i didn't saw the end of credit thing with Fury...
How much do you think an Avengers movie would cost? And which ones would be in it. I would love to see Vision. He was always one of my favorites.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:
Rakis wrote:Downey Jr as Tony Stark was a stroke of genius...i didn't saw the end of credit thing with Fury...
How much do you think an Avengers movie would cost? And which ones would be in it. I would love to see Vision. He was always one of my favorites.
The Hulk would be out since that was made by a different studio, Captain America gets a lot of talk as a member as does Thor. Not sure to be honest.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Omphalos wrote:
I read they will actually make one after the second Iron man movie, i think...

They should have a budget around 200 millions... :shock:

I wanna see old era Avengers : Cap,Iron Man, Giant Man,Wasp,Thor,Vision,Wanda,etc...

Ultron or Kang would be nice villains... 8)
Neutrinos watch alert !

Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:
It could probably set records for cost. I think they'll stick with the original members considering the films that are in the works. Seeing Vision on screen could be cool though.

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”