V: The Second Generation

SF genre TV and Movie discussions

V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:10 am

If they actually are going to make this, let's hope that they have enough brains to fix the "must get water from Earth only" faux pas.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:21 am

I remember watching episodes with friends over here...usually after drunken outings? Never really got much into it, seemed too dumb.

(But I do remember going around for a while crying out "DIANA!" in a raspy lizard voice. :shock: )

Anyway, since I didn't pay much attention, what's the water thing about?
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:31 pm

They passed by the water laden moons of Jupiter in order to steal water (a critical resource that is described as "scarce" in the universe) from Earth. :roll:
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:04 pm

Oh.

Hmmm. I'm just wondering which amount is greater, that of the water on Earth or in comets and other wee bodies out in the halo/Oort Cloud.

There's a lot concentrated on Earth, but then you have to lift it out of the gravity well (apparently not a problem for our lizzy friends).

There's potentially more in the fringe, but you have to chase it down.

More drama in terrorizing a primitive population; more than in chasing space rocks, that is! :D
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:51 pm

Well, they obviously have interstellar travel, so if you are comparing all the water available in the sphere of space that they can visit with what we are willing to defend.....
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby tanzeelat » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:09 am

Maybe what they actually needed was fluoridated water. And you can only get that from Earth - from certain nations on Earth, in fact. There's no fluoridated water on the moons of Jupiter. They probably have rotten teeth there too.
User avatar
tanzeelat
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:34 am

Postby SandChigger » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:33 am

Tha's the spirit! :D
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:43 am

tanzeelat wrote:Maybe what they actually needed was fluoridated water. And you can only get that from Earth - from certain nations on Earth, in fact. There's no fluoridated water on the moons of Jupiter. They probably have rotten teeth there too.


Yea, I was gonna say, then there is no way that they would want the Scotish water either.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Omphalos » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:12 am

Anyway, in the "reimagining" I am sure is to come, it will probably be about global warming or terrorism or something.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Liege-Killer » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:03 pm

Here's a little factoid I was never aware of (via wiki):

In 1989, Warner Bros. commissioned J. Michael Straczynski (who would later go on to create Babylon 5) to write a pilot screenplay for a proposed new series, tentatively titled V: The Next Chapter, that would have continued the V storyline.


It never went anywhere, but that could have been interesting.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
User avatar
Liege-Killer
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:06 am

Postby Omphalos » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:50 am

I think that there was an effort three years ago to get the original cast together for a sequel movie, but it fell through. I guess none of them passed their bone density scans.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Freakzilla » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:42 am

Omphalos wrote:I think that there was an effort three years ago to get the original cast together for a sequel movie, but it fell through. I guess none of them passed their bone density scans.


I imagine that lizard-baby is all grown up now, huh?
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Postby Omphalos » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:13 am

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I think that there was an effort three years ago to get the original cast together for a sequel movie, but it fell through. I guess none of them passed their bone density scans.


I imagine that lizard-baby is all grown up now, huh?


And pissed off as hell at her parents over the "Kingdom Confusion" she is experiencing.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:40 pm

I find the concept of interspecies sex fairly intriguing ("Come on, baby...give me some sugar!"), but presumably differences in genetic codes would preclude the possibility of viable offspring. Even with technical tampering.

DIANA!!!!!

There I go again.... :oops:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Ragabash » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:49 pm

Omphalos wrote:Anyway, in the "reimagining" I am sure is to come, it will probably be about global warming or terrorism or something.


Ya know, 'aliens are dicks' is enough for me.
GLaDOS wrote:This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
User avatar
Ragabash
The Benefactor
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: Sacramento. CA

Postby Omphalos » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:50 pm

Word on the street is that they are going to remake the original series rather than progress with a new story line. I think that is the better idea. The old show was awesome when I was a kid, but just did not hold up at all, and probably needs a retool before the producers start something new. Here is a blogger's notice with some extra pictures.

I think that if they come up with a viable reason for the invasion and de-cheeze the script, they would have something really cool. Too bad it is going to be a made-for-TV ABC thing.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Rakis » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:06 pm

If they make something close to BSG it will be interesting...
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Postby SandChigger » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:42 am

I think those pix on that blog are from the original series. That or when they say "remake" they mean like photo-real. ;)

Oh, gawd, more allegory. I don't think I could stand it. :roll:

(Yeah, definitely crabby. :) )


(What's with the "__LongTerm__" stuff? Error on their blog? Or am I the only one seeing it?

The original __LongTerm__ served as an allegory for the Holocaust and Nazi Germany. Peters said he __LongTerm__ duplicate that concept, except that the new “V” will still focus on what happens when the masses have blind faith in their leaders.

Weird.)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:54 am

Those are pics from the original. And I dont see "-LongTerm-" I see "V."
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby GamePlayer » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:51 am

The selling of the 1980's back to us continues unabated :)

But who knows, it might actually work. I hated the original BSG, but the re-imagined series is awesome.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Omphalos » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:18 am

One of the reasons that this mini-series did so well when it first aired is that it was marketed for months in advance. I remember seeing literally hundreds of advertisements for it, and most of those were cryptic and showed nothing but the red letter "V" spray-painted on a black backgroung, along with some ominous sounding drumming. IOW, they showed nothing of the actual program, and when it finally came on, everyone was ready to love it, myself included. I watched both mini-seires and the horrible TV show.

I doubt that they would do that this time due to cost. And they have some serious problems to get over. For example, coming to Earth to steal water when they passed a few moons full of the stuff on their way in? Aliens that can eat human tissue without being poisoned? What are they? Our Sleestack cousins?

If this thing gets made I will not miss it. Ill try to recaputre some of my lost youth any time I can. :wink: But if they (only) had a brain, they would make Clarke's Childhood's End, which has a lot of the same imagery and presents a lot of the same technical hurdles, into a mini-series.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:19 pm

Ah...now that would be worthwhile.

If a bit late. :(
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:09 pm

Here is a semi-update on this. Apparently someone who was involved with the original show is all pissy that he is not involved.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby GamePlayer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:42 am

Omphalos wrote:Here is a semi-update on this. Apparently someone who was involved with the original show is all pissy that he is not involved.


Another barking Dirk Benedict. :roll: He'll show up on some lame-assed reality television show for his next act.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Omphalos » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:30 am

GamePlayer wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Here is a semi-update on this. Apparently someone who was involved with the original show is all pissy that he is not involved.


Another barking Dirk Benedict. :roll: He'll show up on some lame-assed reality television show for his next act.


Was Dirk Benedict all pissy? I know Richard Hatch was, so they created the role of Tom Zarin to shut him up. But was Dirk Benedict too? I saw a picture of him recently. He looks like thirty miles of rough road. I wouldnt put him in a Freddy Kruger movie these days.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby GamePlayer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:37 am

No, Dirk Benedict was pissy because he's on some crusade and has been for a while apparently. He's going on and on about the anti-masculinity of modern society/entertainment. I think Starbuck cast as a woman in BSG-re-imagined was just another piece of "evidence" to him, but he plunged for the jugular anyway. I guess if da bitches ain't bare naked and pregnant in da kitchen, how's a nigga gonna get da ho to put out in da sack? :roll:

So good ole boy Benedict is looking pretty haggard, is he? Well, they say bitterness is bad for the soul :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Omphalos » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:17 pm

Image
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Freakzilla » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:19 pm

Damn, how long has he been smoking meth now? :shock:
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Postby GamePlayer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:02 pm

Is that Benedict's aging rock star impersonation? It's magic! Someone call David Blaine :) :P
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby SandChigger » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Someone say something about an anti-mascara society? :?

I just THANK GOD Tammy Faye didn't live to see it! :x
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:12 pm

Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:59 pm

Oh, please let the spunky and competent Homeland Security agent be named...

DIANA!!! :P

Sorry, I'm still not feelin' the love.

How about ... something new for a change?! Wow ... wouldn't that be amazing?! :roll:

(Well, maybe not. I saw some of that dawg "Threshhold". YAWN. And ... D'uh.)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:23 pm

If it makes it to TV, I'll watch it. I hear Diana is still hot. :P
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:36 am

Of course she's hot. She's a big lizard. She gets cold, she dies. :roll:



:P
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:26 am

SandChigger wrote:Of course she's hot. She's a big lizard. She gets cold, she dies. :roll:



:P


A midwest boy who has never put a frog into an ice chest? They just get slower, man. They dont die. Duh!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:55 am

Frogs are amphibians. Visitors are reptilian. 8)

Or the alien equivalent.

And you sure as hell never put no six-foot-tall frog in an ice-chest. :P
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:48 pm

SandChigger wrote:Frogs are amphibians. Visitors are reptilian. 8)

Or the alien equivalent.

And you sure as hell never put no six-foot-tall frog in an ice-chest. :P


Sorry, thought we were talking about cold-blooded vs. warm blooded, not amphibians vs. reptilian.

Oh wait! We were! 8)
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandChigger » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:54 pm

Were the Visitors warm-blooded?

Must be a detail I forgot. ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby Omphalos » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:26 pm

SandChigger wrote:Were the Visitors warm-blooded?

Must be a detail I forgot. ;)


OK you! Stobbit!!!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby SandRider » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:22 am

as long as some hot bitch unhinges her jaw and
deep throats a rodent, I'm in ....
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Postby Omphalos » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:41 pm

This thing is getting cast, and whatever works for Lost, should work for any SF TV show. :D

Who the fuck are they kidding?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Omphalos » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:36 pm

Diana is cast. GOOD fucking choice! This woman is beautiful. I loved her in Firefly.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Rakis » Tue May 19, 2009 9:09 pm

First clips :

http://scifiwire.com/2009/05/first-look ... a.php#more

I have a bad feeling about this... We'll see.. :pray:
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Tue May 19, 2009 9:23 pm

My god she is beautiful.

I guess they decided to go with the stupid water thing, even though they passed moons of the stuff to get to us. Lets see what they do.

Loved the "vital mineral" part. That could only be calcium....from our bones....Mua-ha-ha-ha-HA-HA-HA-Cough!Cough!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandChigger » Tue May 19, 2009 10:23 pm

Well, if nothing else, it's going to look much much better than the old one. :D
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Rakis » Wed May 20, 2009 6:20 am

SandChigger wrote:Well, if nothing else, it's going to look much much better than the old one. :D


Are you talking about that new Diana ? :P
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Freakzilla » Wed May 20, 2009 6:58 am

Omphalos wrote:My god she is beautiful.

I guess they decided to go with the stupid water thing, even though they passed moons of the stuff to get to us. Lets see what they do.

Loved the "vital mineral" part. That could only be calcium....from our bones....Mua-ha-ha-ha-HA-HA-HA-Cough!Cough!


There's more carbon than calcium. 18.2% vs. 1.67%.

We're mostly oxygen, 65.4%.

http://www.bloodindex.org/minerals.php
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandChigger » Wed May 20, 2009 8:19 am

Comes from being mostly water. :P


(Brevity—and ambiguity—is the soul of wit, my good Rakis. ;) )
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby GamePlayer » Wed May 20, 2009 9:13 am

Doesn't look too bad. The interview scene was quite good. Casting Morena Baccarin was definitely the right way to go.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Rakis » Wed May 20, 2009 8:04 pm

The trailer !!

http://scifiwire.com/2009/05/new-traile ... s-v-is.php

More interesting than the first clips...looks a LOT better... :)
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Wed May 20, 2009 9:22 pm

Yea, baby!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby The Phantom » Thu May 21, 2009 7:44 am

hadn't paid attention to this thread till now... definitely looking forward to this. just wikid the past V iterations.. are they worth watching as background before this comes out in the fall?

also excited to see two former firefly cast members in it.
I am not my own.
User avatar
The Phantom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby GamePlayer » Thu May 21, 2009 9:08 am

As far as the original, I'd place "V" in the same category as "Battlestar Galactica." Ergo, avoid the original like the plague :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby The Phantom » Thu May 21, 2009 10:30 am

GamePlayer wrote:As far as the original, I'd place "V" in the same category as "Battlestar Galactica." Ergo, avoid the original like the plague :)


:P ok. since this is a reboot, hopefully it'll be easy to get into without prior exposure.
I am not my own.
User avatar
The Phantom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandChigger » Thu May 21, 2009 5:20 pm

"FREDDY KRUEGER FATHERED MY BABY AS A SIX-FOOT REPTILE! (And he was HUNG like a PYTHON!!!)"

If that sounds intriguing, B.B., check out the original. :P


(No, seriously, DON'T. Just wing it with the new. GP is right. Again. REALLY. :D )
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Thu May 21, 2009 9:48 pm

The original V was a made for TV miniseries. Its about as good as 80's TV SF got. The second miniseries and the TV series were absolute shit.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Ampoliros » Fri May 22, 2009 9:46 am

The original V Visitors would take those directors and writers out and shoot them.

If the major networks want to make cable-style shows then they should hire cable people to do it. And not the 4400 guy. Watching those clips reminded me of Kings and it's "stapled on cable" feel. As cheesy as the original V was, I felt it handled the ambiguous menace of the Visitors and the fascist overtones very well. These new Visitors are fascist right out of the box.




And the new ships look like suck. Aborted fetus Space-shuttles. Give me Saucers baby!

It doesn't stop there, now they want to remake They Live!?!?!?!?!
http://www.scificool.com/they-want-to-remake-they-live-and-the-thing/

I guess if they are going to rape my childhood I shouldn't expect to enjoy it.
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
User avatar
Ampoliros
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandChigger » Fri May 22, 2009 10:19 am

My experience with the real thing being rather limited (knock on wood), I thought the ships looked like funky kewl bedpans. :P
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Rakis » Fri May 22, 2009 9:45 pm

SandChigger wrote:My experience with the real thing being rather limited (knock on wood), I thought the ships looked like funky kewl bedpans. :P


:lol:

Hey, i'm still hoping that NewV won't be shit...although it's harder to think otherwise now... :)
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Ampoliros » Sat May 23, 2009 8:30 am

I'm hoping my initial opinion is being unfair based on just trailers.
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
User avatar
Ampoliros
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:12 pm

A trailer of the first eight minutes of the show, starting on 11/03.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Ampoliros » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:40 pm

After I got past the initial "lets use the same damn scene from ID4" it was alright. Its really going to come down to the cast and cinematography. The two geek kids talking about how it was really ID4 but that was stolen from like every sci-fi film ever was a bit over the top and I bit inaccurate. ID4 stole it from V and had better effects.

I'll watch it, but i'll have a KJA novel near by if i need something to throw at the screen.
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
User avatar
Ampoliros
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:42 pm

Ampoliros wrote:After I got past the initial "lets use the same damn scene from ID4" it was alright. Its really going to come down to the cast and cinematography. The two geek kids talking about how it was really ID4 but that was stolen from like every sci-fi film ever was a bit over the top and I bit inaccurate. ID4 stole it from V and had better effects.

I'll watch it, but i'll have a KJA novel near by if i need something to throw at the screen.


V stole from Clarke
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandChigger » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:56 pm

I'm a visual sci-fi slut. I'll watch it, oh how I'll watch it. :lol:

Someday. :(

I just wish it were going to be starting over here, too.

We're just getting "Bionic Jaime" now. (The Six Million Dollar Woman)

Which I refuse to watch because it was stupid umpteen years ago and it's still stupid now. :roll:

OK ... so maybe I'm not that big a visual slut after all! :P
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Rakis » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:42 am

I'll download it someday when the kids give me a 5 minute break in 3 or 4 years... :(=
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Freakzilla » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:59 am

Rakis wrote:I'll download it someday when the kids give me a 5 minute break in 3 or 4 years... :(=


Yeah, good luck with that. :lol=:
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Nekhrun » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:50 pm

Just saw the Pilot episode :clap:
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:08 pm

Got it DVR'ed. As soon as I can get the wife off of that fucking dancing show, I'm all over it.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Trang » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:12 pm

friend called and reminded me it was on, but forgot I was at work tonight. Will download episode in morning and watch tomorrow.

Hope its decent, Stargate Universe has been painfully slow, Sanctuary is painfully idiotic, BSG: The Plan was a waste of time, Avatar looks and sounds stupid, Fringe is ok, Heroes is going in circles, Dollhouse and Ghost Whisperer are just eye candy, looking for something to carry forward.


If this keeps up gonna have to bust out the Buck Rogers, Powers of Matthew Star, and MacGuyver reruns!!!
2/11/1986
User avatar
Trang
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:45 pm
Location: Hot Tub Time Machine

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:43 am

OK, I watched it. It started out really slow, it was choppy, and with two exceptions (Joel Gretsch and Alan Tudyk - and maybe Morris Chestnut) the actors were pretty piss-poor. But they pulled it out of loser-ville in the end, presented some interesting ideas and introduced some interesting concepts. The biggest problem I think that they are going to have is that the characters have become polarized right away. They just dumped too much onto viewers, there was zero build up, and now the characters will have absolutely no room to grow. They will probably forever be evil or good and won't be developed very well. If this is going to be anything besides traditional SF, which it does not feel like it will be (this think is all about the feelings), I predict an early demise for the series. Hope I am pleasantly surprised, but I doubt I will be.

Oh, and by the way, Monica Baccarin is TOTALLY hot, but I am already sick and tired of her wooden poses and half-smiles. Loosen the heck up, lady.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandChigger » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:00 pm

Um ... isn't she the

DIANNNNNA

character?! :D
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:19 pm

Yea, but her new name is Anna. And she is hot, like a rocket!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandChigger » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:14 pm

Oh. OK, so she is

The ANNNNNA!!!

:lol:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Liege-Killer » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:49 pm

Trang wrote:Hope its decent, Stargate Universe has been painfully slow, Sanctuary is painfully idiotic, BSG: The Plan was a waste of time, Avatar looks and sounds stupid, Fringe is ok, Heroes is going in circles, Dollhouse and Ghost Whisperer are just eye candy, looking for something to carry forward.


Makes you really appreciate the existence of books, doesn't it?
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
User avatar
Liege-Killer
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:06 am

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Liege-Killer » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:38 pm

Omphalos wrote:... and with two exceptions (Joel Gretsch and Alan Tudyk - and maybe Morris Chestnut) the actors were pretty piss-poor.


I thought Tudyk gave the poorest, most wooden acting performance of anyone on the show. But then, I guess that can be excused, seeing as how he was a lizard and all. :lol=:

I thought Gretsch and Elizabeth Mitchell were the highlights.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
User avatar
Liege-Killer
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:06 am

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Tudyk has this physicality about him that in my mind really reaches the level of Brad Pitt. I think Tudyk is a better actor that Brad Pitt, but they both are just amazing to watch in motion.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandChigger » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:50 am

Tudyk ... isn't that one of the smugglers in Dune?
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Freakzilla » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:59 am

Esmar Tuek
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:16 pm

I remember him. The main character in the magnificent Spice Planet.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Freakzilla » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:16 pm

Omphalos wrote:I remember him. The main character in the magnificent Spice Planet.


Refuse to read it. Tuek played a big part in the Banquet scene in Dune. He also had a decendant that was a Rakian Preist in HoD.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Ampoliros » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:31 pm

Tuek was the Boba Fett of Dune, an awesome character with just enough dialogue and page time to let you know he was a badass without actually putting him out there where that role could be destroyed.

As for V

I liked Anna, but seriously, spend more than 30 seconds with her and you know she is a snake. She moves like a lizard and blinks rapidly

Where is David Icke? He totally needs a cameo in V. Bonus if they get him to play a Visitor.

I'll watch it until it gets so incredibly stupid that a baby lizard puppet erupting out of a cesarean scar would be better. Which might come pretty soon or never happen. I think this V is still in limbo but I definitely agree that they opened the Lizard box waaaaay too fast.

I would have totally thrown out the lizard people idea. Malevolent aliens don't need to look freaky to be freaky. It would be much better if they were harvesting us for our DNA so they could adapt to better climates. I'd like to make them fascists that really are here to save us from ourselves but using a method we will reject completely.

Funny that the show would deal with our side of the religious issue without mentioning anything about the Visitors religion and philosophy. Oops, God sent us proof of his power of creation by sending us Nazi Zen Buddhists.
[/PC]Naw screw that, I think the Visitors are really just here to kill all the Jews. [PC]
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
User avatar
Ampoliros
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Freakzilla » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:21 am

Ampoliros wrote:Tuek was the Boba Fett of Dune, an awesome character with just enough dialogue and page time to let you know he was a badass without actually putting him out there where that role could be destroyed.


I'm suprised he stayed of Pinky & The Brian's radar.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Ampoliros » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:26 pm

He died off the page, I'm surprised KJA & B even remembered him.

Its not like they can bring back dead characters whenever they feel like it just because there is a discrepancy on when they actually died...
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
User avatar
Ampoliros
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandChigger » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:39 pm

No. Of course not. ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:27 pm

He died off the page


As implied by Irulan. But we all know how full of lies she was, don't we guys?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Freakzilla » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:59 pm

Omphalos wrote:
He died off the page


As implied by Irulan. But we all know how full of lies she was, don't we guys?


So much for being trained as a historian by the Bene Gesserit. :roll:
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby chanilover » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:00 am

His descendant was High Priest on Rakis and was replaced by a new face dancer who had an indentity crisis and thought he really was Tuek.

Oh, Hedley!
Image
chanilover
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Ampoliros » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:06 pm

The more I think about it the more I'm disliking the total lack of logic in the new V series. The came for water, They need visa's yet their shuttles can fly out to the location of a 911 call to hide a massacre and no one notices. No mention of the right-wing media tearing them apart for stealing all the health care jobs and offering that service for free. Commie (facist!) aliens? COME ON! That's just begging for a side plot in our modern political landscape!

And from the previews, the visitors know by episode 3 that one of the main characters knows they are reptilian. This is supposed to be a new series? it seems like they are coping wholesale the BSG model except they are starting with Season 4.

Nerd rage aside, I'm still getting some enjoyment from it and its well acted and directed but for SF its pretty threadbare.
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
User avatar
Ampoliros
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:25 pm

Havent seen episode two yet, but I have it on DVR. I got home late last night and just didn't have the heart to watch it - was afraid it would wear me out more railing at it. :D
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Liege-Killer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:11 pm

Ampoliros wrote:The more I think about it the more I'm disliking the total lack of logic in the new V series.


I'm having the same feeling.

My biggest hangup so far is the total lack of any effort by those who've seen the reptiles to try to get the information out to the world. That is so unrealistic it borders on the bizarre. There they are, sitting outside after the fight, talking about starting a Resistance, and it never occurs to them to maybe whip out a camera phone and take a few pictures? Get 'em up on the internet? Show 'em to law enforcement? Send them to the media? Instead, you'd think their conversation went something like this:

"This is big news, we should let people know about these V's."

"Don't you watch the movies? It's a conspiracy, stupid, and whenever there's a conspiracy, the conspirators are in total control of the whole world, and they'll thwart you at every turn, so what's the point?"

"Oh yeah..... you're right.... forget it. Hey, I know.... let's form a Resistance!"
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
User avatar
Liege-Killer
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:06 am

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Rakis » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:41 pm

Ratings are down nearly 30% from last week...

Can you say Defying gravity? :doh:
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Ampoliros » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 pm

Oh, and yeah we get it, Teenage boys will do anything for a blond with a smile and no bra.

As malevolent as the visitors are, something tells me the real reason behind the invasion is really really dumb. "Give us all your Pez! It powers our anti-grav!"

Liege-Killer wrote:My biggest hangup so far is the total lack of any effort by those who've seen the reptiles to try to get the information out to the world. That is so unrealistic it borders on the bizarre. There they are, sitting outside after the fight, talking about starting a Resistance, and it never occurs to them to maybe whip out a camera phone and take a few pictures? Get 'em up on the internet? Show 'em to law enforcement? Send them to the media?


No kidding. It seems to me that the best thing the V's who have defected could do is organize into a large group and then reveal themselves to the government. "look, we're aliens, more are coming, and as nice as they seem DO NOT ACCEPT ANY BLANKETS OR WOODEN HORSES FROM THEM."

Besides, wouldn't one of the first things our scientific community would do is ask for DNA sample to share and compare? Wouldn't the first thing they notice be Hey, this is just cloned human DNA? Iirc, the original V actually dealt with this by saying that human scientists were being rounded up or discredited.
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
User avatar
Ampoliros
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandChigger » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:37 am

Oh ... it's all just too depressing.... :cry:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:43 am

I still can't believe that so many people liked this piece of shit when it premiered. I saw the second episode last night. It sucked. This is a low-brow time-waster. I can't believe that they resurrected a beloved (yet flawed) show and did anything other than make it great. Stuff like this is never, ever going to pass muster again in the post-BSG world. You either do it right or resign yourself to mid-season cancellation. What a colossal disappointment.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Rakis » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:32 pm

Stuff like this is never, ever going to pass muster again in the post-BSG world.


Exactly. You can't do shows with inept scripts or without great character build up...If you have that in any show, sci-fi is just the icing on the cake...

Get it, HLP? :roll:
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Seraphan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:27 pm

My brother says he's hooked to that show, i was annoyed by what little i saw.

I have a hard time explaining people, when they start that talk about taste, that it isnt exactly like that. Content is easy to identify along with character build up. When there is none or it is badly done, it is shit.

Added: Why wont they get it? It's not that hard to identify.
Image
"But if self-replication can be considered a life-form, then intelligence should be, too.
The real problem is that "life" is such an unscientific word" - Masamune Shirow
User avatar
Seraphan
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:18 am
Location: Right Behind You!

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Ampoliros » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:37 pm

Omphalos wrote:Stuff like this is never, ever going to pass muster again in the post-BSG world.


No they fixed that by hiring Rekha Sharma, grabbed the Whedonites with Monica Baccarin and Alan Tuydk and the Lost people with whats-her-face. Street-cred with the Sci-fi geek crowd right?

I think all of those actors probably read the script and said "Well, its a job..."


Seriously though, who came up with the brilliant move of making this a series rather than a mini-series? Is the plot for V coping every part of the original V, including the camp?

Major points that they will have to deal with will change the entire mood of the show. How long can they not kill a character that the V's should kill in episode 3? How long can they hold off revealing the V's reptilian nature? Did the V's plan for this eventually?

There are some truly awesome opportunities with a series like this but will they even explore them? Probably not, and from the get go the show (I would say) tells you, there is awesome stuff happening, but we aren't going to show it or even mention it because it doesn't work on Broadcast TV.

It would be cool if: Anna, really is 'human' i.e. not a reptilian alien but a master race of aliens that conquers and enslaves lesser races. the reptiles are their most common servant, so they had to cover them in clone material. All the others are hidden. Maybe a riff on Bank's ultra-liberal utopia Culture, but with facist alien minds controlling everything rather than AI.

How advanced is the V's AI tech, how do they deal with this problem?
Are the V's a democracy? meritocracy? what is their political philosphy on the rights of the individual vs the rights of the state?
V's religion
V's social structure
etc etc etc.
Last edited by Ampoliros on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
User avatar
Ampoliros
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:53 pm

Seraphan wrote:My brother says he's hooked to that show, i was annoyed by what little i saw.

I have a hard time explaining people, when they start that talk about taste, that it isnt exactly like that. Content is easy to identify along with character build up. When there is none or it is badly done, it is shit.

Added: Why wont they get it? It's not that hard to identify.


I don't get it either, Seraphan. Its so hard to tell what shit SF is going to fly and what isnt. This one though...its really like the writers and actors are phoning it in. I think part of it is that the originals were so loved.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Ampoliros » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:09 pm

I guess I'm partially hoping that ABC axes the show, and gives them 6 more episodes, they frantically re-write them and pull off something new and exciting with the opportunity.

Sadly, it seems like another crappy attempt to bring cable-quality shows (like BSG) to network that is going to crash and burn.
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
User avatar
Ampoliros
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Liege-Killer » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Ampoliros wrote:As malevolent as the visitors are, something tells me the real reason behind the invasion is really really dumb. "Give us all your Pez! It powers our anti-grav!"


If the reason is anything physical -- water, food, minerals, land, anything like that -- then it will be stupid, because anything like that could simply be taken by force, no need for the deception at all. Can anyone say "orbital bombardment"?

A smarter move would be to have the V's trying to convert humanity to their religion/philosophy, or something along those lines.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
User avatar
Liege-Killer
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:06 am

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Seraphan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:11 pm

Omphalos wrote:
Seraphan wrote:My brother says he's hooked to that show, i was annoyed by what little i saw.

I have a hard time explaining people, when they start that talk about taste, that it isnt exactly like that. Content is easy to identify along with character build up. When there is none or it is badly done, it is shit.

Added: Why wont they get it? It's not that hard to identify.


I don't get it either, Seraphan. Its so hard to tell what shit SF is going to fly and what isnt. This one though...its really like the writers and actors are phoning it in. I think part of it is that the originals were so loved.


I can only guess that the reason people like this is because it has the usual entertainment clichés: give them plot twists no matter what; give them teen characters for the common demographic to relate to; give them conspiracy theories as half-assed as they may be; use actors from certain shows to fish in their fans (like you previously said); (and the golden rule) give them cgi, lots.

Everysingle time someone answers with the "If you dont like it, dont watch it" i just want to punch them in the mouth. I generally keep my opinions to myself until (usually when i'm directly spoken too) something that is devoid of content or really badly done is being praised as being great and amazing. I try to explain them why it's shit and they immediately bring up the usual excuse, and this is why it fails.
I'm not saying "Don not watch it, it is stupid", i watch mediocre stuff many times but the thing is, i'm aware of what it is.
I can tell when something is G.O.'s 1984 goodness and what is childish anime pretentious bullcrap.
My problem is not someone reading or watching it, my problem is people praising bad or mediocre stuff as being great.
Image
"But if self-replication can be considered a life-form, then intelligence should be, too.
The real problem is that "life" is such an unscientific word" - Masamune Shirow
User avatar
Seraphan
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:18 am
Location: Right Behind You!

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Rakis » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Liege-Killer wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:As malevolent as the visitors are, something tells me the real reason behind the invasion is really really dumb. "Give us all your Pez! It powers our anti-grav!"


If the reason is anything physical -- water, food, minerals, land, anything like that -- then it will be stupid, because anything like that could simply be taken by force, no need for the deception at all. Can anyone say "orbital bombardment"?

A smarter move would be to have the V's trying to convert humanity to their religion/philosophy, or something along those lines.


I agree, but what would be the point? It does sound a bit like what the Cylons tried for a while in BSG, but that plot was secondary...I think V played the Lizard/bad guy angle too fast : they should have waited and let things built up, make it more with shades of grey...
Neutrinos watch alert !

Image
User avatar
Rakis
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Freakzilla » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:41 pm

Rakis wrote:
Liege-Killer wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:As malevolent as the visitors are, something tells me the real reason behind the invasion is really really dumb. "Give us all your Pez! It powers our anti-grav!"


If the reason is anything physical -- water, food, minerals, land, anything like that -- then it will be stupid, because anything like that could simply be taken by force, no need for the deception at all. Can anyone say "orbital bombardment"?

A smarter move would be to have the V's trying to convert humanity to their religion/philosophy, or something along those lines.


I agree, but what would be the point? It does sound a bit like what the Cylons tried for a while in BSG, but that plot was secondary...I think V played the Lizard/bad guy angle too fast : they should have waited and let things built up, make it more with shades of grey...


The sensors (christians) wouldn't allow that. There is no grey.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandChigger » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:57 am

Liege-Killer wrote:A smarter move would be to have the V's trying to convert humanity to their religion/philosophy, or something along those lines.

Oh, why bother?

I mean, I don't give a toot if my chooks is Jewish Latter Day Born-Again Rastafarians or just gawdless heathens, so long as they tastes GOOOD! :lol:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby A Thing of Eternity » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:58 am

Liege-Killer wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:As malevolent as the visitors are, something tells me the real reason behind the invasion is really really dumb. "Give us all your Pez! It powers our anti-grav!"


If the reason is anything physical -- water, food, minerals, land, anything like that -- then it will be stupid, because anything like that could simply be taken by force, no need for the deception at all. Can anyone say "orbital bombardment"?

A smarter move would be to have the V's trying to convert humanity to their religion/philosophy, or something along those lines.


I've always figured that the only real credible "alien takover" scenario in SF (whether it's being done to us or us doing it to them) is religion/forcing morality on someone else. A society that can get from one star system to another is more than capable of getting their own resources.

An exception would maybe be for a lower-tech STL ship that was fleeing something and doesn't have the tech to terraform or self sustain upon arrival to another system.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 1:22 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:24 am

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Liege-Killer wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:As malevolent as the visitors are, something tells me the real reason behind the invasion is really really dumb. "Give us all your Pez! It powers our anti-grav!"


If the reason is anything physical -- water, food, minerals, land, anything like that -- then it will be stupid, because anything like that could simply be taken by force, no need for the deception at all. Can anyone say "orbital bombardment"?

A smarter move would be to have the V's trying to convert humanity to their religion/philosophy, or something along those lines.


I've always figured that the only real credible "alien takover" scenario in SF (whether it's being done to us or us doing it to them) is religion/forcing morality on someone else. A society that can get from one star system to another is more than capable of getting their own resources.

An exception would maybe be for a lower-tech STL ship that was fleeing something and doesn't have the tech to terraform or self sustain upon arrival to another system.


I have always thought that the only credible alien take-over plot would involve a plague or disease. All the others are fun to read about, but to me that is the only idea that holds water.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Nekhrun » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:11 pm

The 2nd episode dashed any hopes I had that this was going to be a great series. It seems like they took a few steps back just to deal with the events of the 2nd episode. And that woman from Lost has got to be the worst actress of the entire bunch. Her lines were so forced and flat. Oh well.
User avatar
Nekhrun
Archivist
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby A Thing of Eternity » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Omphalos wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Liege-Killer wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:As malevolent as the visitors are, something tells me the real reason behind the invasion is really really dumb. "Give us all your Pez! It powers our anti-grav!"


If the reason is anything physical -- water, food, minerals, land, anything like that -- then it will be stupid, because anything like that could simply be taken by force, no need for the deception at all. Can anyone say "orbital bombardment"?

A smarter move would be to have the V's trying to convert humanity to their religion/philosophy, or something along those lines.


I've always figured that the only real credible "alien takover" scenario in SF (whether it's being done to us or us doing it to them) is religion/forcing morality on someone else. A society that can get from one star system to another is more than capable of getting their own resources.

An exception would maybe be for a lower-tech STL ship that was fleeing something and doesn't have the tech to terraform or self sustain upon arrival to another system.


I have always thought that the only credible alien take-over plot would involve a plague or disease. All the others are fun to read about, but to me that is the only idea that holds water.

Do you mean they're fleeing from a desease, or using it as a weapon?
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 1:22 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:40 pm

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Liege-Killer wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:As malevolent as the visitors are, something tells me the real reason behind the invasion is really really dumb. "Give us all your Pez! It powers our anti-grav!"


If the reason is anything physical -- water, food, minerals, land, anything like that -- then it will be stupid, because anything like that could simply be taken by force, no need for the deception at all. Can anyone say "orbital bombardment"?

A smarter move would be to have the V's trying to convert humanity to their religion/philosophy, or something along those lines.


I've always figured that the only real credible "alien takover" scenario in SF (whether it's being done to us or us doing it to them) is religion/forcing morality on someone else. A society that can get from one star system to another is more than capable of getting their own resources.

An exception would maybe be for a lower-tech STL ship that was fleeing something and doesn't have the tech to terraform or self sustain upon arrival to another system.


I have always thought that the only credible alien take-over plot would involve a plague or disease. All the others are fun to read about, but to me that is the only idea that holds water.

Do you mean they're fleeing from a desease, or using it as a weapon?


Using it as a weapon. I suppose with the proper technology making war would be viable. And if you look at early American prospectors and trappers, one small person can make a big economic impact on the whole world, so mineral and resource prospecting is probably something that could be useful too, just like in V. But really, if an alien ever lands on Earth biological incompatibility is going to be the biggest problem, and that can be used as a weapon.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby A Thing of Eternity » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:03 pm

Omphalos wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Liege-Killer wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:As malevolent as the visitors are, something tells me the real reason behind the invasion is really really dumb. "Give us all your Pez! It powers our anti-grav!"


If the reason is anything physical -- water, food, minerals, land, anything like that -- then it will be stupid, because anything like that could simply be taken by force, no need for the deception at all. Can anyone say "orbital bombardment"?

A smarter move would be to have the V's trying to convert humanity to their religion/philosophy, or something along those lines.


I've always figured that the only real credible "alien takover" scenario in SF (whether it's being done to us or us doing it to them) is religion/forcing morality on someone else. A society that can get from one star system to another is more than capable of getting their own resources.

An exception would maybe be for a lower-tech STL ship that was fleeing something and doesn't have the tech to terraform or self sustain upon arrival to another system.


I have always thought that the only credible alien take-over plot would involve a plague or disease. All the others are fun to read about, but to me that is the only idea that holds water.

Do you mean they're fleeing from a desease, or using it as a weapon?


Using it as a weapon. I suppose with the proper technology making war would be viable. And if you look at early American prospectors and trappers, one small person can make a big economic impact on the whole world, so mineral and resource prospecting is probably something that could be useful too, just like in V. But really, if an alien ever lands on Earth biological incompatibility is going to be the biggest problem, and that can be used as a weapon.


And, if they have the tech to get, and want us gone, it would be no problem at all for them to whip up a virus to knock us out in a week or so, without them even breaking a sweat.
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 1:22 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Ampoliros » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:33 pm

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Liege-Killer wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:As malevolent as the visitors are, something tells me the real reason behind the invasion is really really dumb. "Give us all your Pez! It powers our anti-grav!"


If the reason is anything physical -- water, food, minerals, land, anything like that -- then it will be stupid, because anything like that could simply be taken by force, no need for the deception at all. Can anyone say "orbital bombardment"?

A smarter move would be to have the V's trying to convert humanity to their religion/philosophy, or something along those lines.


I've always figured that the only real credible "alien takover" scenario in SF (whether it's being done to us or us doing it to them) is religion/forcing morality on someone else. A society that can get from one star system to another is more than capable of getting their own resources.

An exception would maybe be for a lower-tech STL ship that was fleeing something and doesn't have the tech to terraform or self sustain upon arrival to another system.


I have always thought that the only credible alien take-over plot would involve a plague or disease. All the others are fun to read about, but to me that is the only idea that holds water.

Do you mean they're fleeing from a desease, or using it as a weapon?


Using it as a weapon. I suppose with the proper technology making war would be viable. And if you look at early American prospectors and trappers, one small person can make a big economic impact on the whole world, so mineral and resource prospecting is probably something that could be useful too, just like in V. But really, if an alien ever lands on Earth biological incompatibility is going to be the biggest problem, and that can be used as a weapon.


And, if they have the tech to get, and want us gone, it would be no problem at all for them to whip up a virus to knock us out in a week or so, without them even breaking a sweat.

Are you sure they aren't just going to crush us with Quote Ziggurats?
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
User avatar
Ampoliros
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:49 pm

Ampoliros wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Liege-Killer wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:As malevolent as the visitors are, something tells me the real reason behind the invasion is really really dumb. "Give us all your Pez! It powers our anti-grav!"


If the reason is anything physical -- water, food, minerals, land, anything like that -- then it will be stupid, because anything like that could simply be taken by force, no need for the deception at all. Can anyone say "orbital bombardment"?

A smarter move would be to have the V's trying to convert humanity to their religion/philosophy, or something along those lines.


I've always figured that the only real credible "alien takover" scenario in SF (whether it's being done to us or us doing it to them) is religion/forcing morality on someone else. A society that can get from one star system to another is more than capable of getting their own resources.

An exception would maybe be for a lower-tech STL ship that was fleeing something and doesn't have the tech to terraform or self sustain upon arrival to another system.


I have always thought that the only credible alien take-over plot would involve a plague or disease. All the others are fun to read about, but to me that is the only idea that holds water.

Do you mean they're fleeing from a desease, or using it as a weapon?


Using it as a weapon. I suppose with the proper technology making war would be viable. And if you look at early American prospectors and trappers, one small person can make a big economic impact on the whole world, so mineral and resource prospecting is probably something that could be useful too, just like in V. But really, if an alien ever lands on Earth biological incompatibility is going to be the biggest problem, and that can be used as a weapon.


And, if they have the tech to get, and want us gone, it would be no problem at all for them to whip up a virus to knock us out in a week or so, without them even breaking a sweat.

Are you sure they aren't just going to crush us with Quote Ziggurats?


While they whisper, "I smash your head!"
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Liege-Killer » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:38 pm

Rakis wrote:
Liege-Killer wrote:A smarter move would be to have the V's trying to convert humanity to their religion/philosophy, or something along those lines.


I agree, but what would be the point?


Well there might not be much of a point, really. All I was saying was that it would be silly for the aliens to go through this masquerade for any kind of physical resources, because they have the power to simply take them. To have any sort of believability at all, the reason would have to be something more abstract or conceptual.

Ampoliros wrote:Are you sure they aren't just going to crush us with Quote Ziggurats?


:lol=: :lol=: :lol=:
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
User avatar
Liege-Killer
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:06 am

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Ampoliros » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:13 pm

Yes! To be like the hu-man! To laugh! Feel! Want! Why are these things not in the plan?
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
User avatar
Ampoliros
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandChigger » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:27 am

So what's up with this one, anything?

First season finished? Will there be a second?

'Cause inquiring minds.... :P
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:09 pm

In hiaitus. should be back later this year.

And the verdict is that it TOTALLY sucks.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandChigger » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:35 pm

That's what I thought, on the verdict.

Probably means Fox Japan will be picking it up any time now. :roll:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Ampoliros » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:59 pm

It's Primetime Sci-Fi. It didn't stand a chance.
"On the Eight day, God created Wizards because he knew he'd have to retconn some crazy shit."
User avatar
Ampoliros
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby chanilover » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:18 pm

I've seen a couple of episodes on a free satellite channel because I'm too cheap to pay for Sky. It's a bit plodding, how long until we get to see the lizards?
Image
chanilover
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandRider » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:22 pm

Omphalos wrote:And the verdict is that it TOTALLY sucks.



huh.
I formed that opinion right after the announcement of the plans for a remake ...

and ChaniLuv - this was a reboot; there are no lizards ... the Visitors are all Mariah Carey clones ...
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby chanilover » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:04 am

*shudders*
Image
chanilover
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby lotek » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:53 pm

I remember the original V (which was tacky and cheap but not for me at the time :)), and thought "hey cool, the BSG revamping to this tale of fighting opression and fascism, the struggle of freedom fighters and the sadness of aliens being not our saviors like we hoped"

And then I watched it, saw the teenage bastard character that looks nowhere near 16, fell asleep twice and realized my subconscious was just saving me time, and went to rewatch a Family Guy episode about the A team, which was hilarious !
In short, the Jihad is over. It ended just as SandRider predicted it would, not with a bang or even a whimper, by simple attrition.
- D. Pope
lotek
Archivist
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:05 am

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:40 pm

Is this dead yet?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandRider » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:42 am

was it ever really alive ?
User avatar
SandRider
Judge of the Change
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: on the worm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandChigger » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:09 pm

Only in the Frankenstein sense. ;)
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby chanilover » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:49 pm

There were no lizards! Just the odd bit of lizard skin where a V got stabbed. What's the point of having a TV show about talking lizards in human drag if you don't get to see the lizards underneath? Meh.
Image
chanilover
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:37 pm

Live, Nude Lizards!!!
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Hunchback Jack » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:04 pm

There's a threat of a second (third?) series where they bring back the actress (and character) of Diana from the original series. No idea how that plays with continuity since I thought there wasn't supposed to be any. ie. this was a reboot, not a sequel.

Not that I really care. I haven't seen any of it.

HBJ
User avatar
Hunchback Jack
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby SandChigger » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:29 pm

I thought the initial previews looked kinda interesting, but that is all I've seen of the thing. (I looked around for reruns while I was home back last year, but never found anything.)

Oh well.
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby The Phantom » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:49 pm

i'm still watching it regularly. Also re-watching firefly right now and it's very neat to see baccarin's 2 very different roles.
I am not my own.
User avatar
The Phantom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby chanilover » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Omphalos wrote:Live, Nude Lizards!!!


Seriously, the lizard queen even had sex with some guy whilst wearing her human rubber suit. What a pile of crap.
Image
chanilover
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Omphalos » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:17 pm

chanilover wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Live, Nude Lizards!!!


Seriously, the lizard queen even had sex with some guy whilst wearing her human rubber suit. What a pile of crap.


Actually, that part worked for me.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5677
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Re: V: The Second Generation

Postby Freakzilla » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:04 am

Omphalos wrote:
chanilover wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Live, Nude Lizards!!!


Seriously, the lizard queen even had sex with some guy whilst wearing her human rubber suit. What a pile of crap.


Actually, that part worked for me.


It's making me hot thinking about it.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
User avatar
Freakzilla
Archivist
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Duluth, Georgia, USA


Return to Genre TV and Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron