Stargate News

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Stargate News

Post by Omphalos »

I have been watching reruns of SG:1 lately, and I have found that I miss that show.

A new series is planned, called Stargate: Universe. It will take place on a ship that was intended to seed the multiple galaxies with stargates, and apparently utilizes a ninth chevron spot to access this ship.

There apparently is another direct to DVD SG:1 movie on the way called Stargate: Continuum, which is a follow up to the direct to DVD movie that is sitting on the new releases shelf at my DVD store now. That one is called Stargate: The Ark of Truth.

If that is not enough for you all, there are also rumors that the original team behind the original 1994 movie (Russell, Spader, et al) are going to make sequel movies that ignore the multiple series and made-for-TV movies that have come out.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Oooh! Oodles of multiple alternate universes!

The Squaw of Red Deer will just scratch herself RAW! :D
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:Oooh! Oodles of multiple alternate universes!

The Squaw of Red Deer will just scratch herself RAW! :D
You saw that too huh? Looks like she's trying to snuggle up to the preeks just so she can have some Dune friends again. That and she probably always really liked those books (not as much as I do of course.)
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I liked Stargate, but was never really that into it. I hated the Ori as the main enemy and missed the Goauld (sp?). Also when they added Claudia Black to the cast it really became too silly to watch. I like her, but making her part of the team didn't make sense.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I thought Vala was balls-hot!

And the Ori I liked. The Gould drove me nuts at the end. It was just too f'ing much of them. I really liked the episodes with the ancients.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Stargate lasted two seasons with me. After that, I was bored. But I will grant the fourth season episode "Window of Opportunity" was one of the funniest sci-fi moments on television.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:Stargate lasted two seasons with me. After that, I was bored. But I will grant the fourth season episode "Window of Opportunity" was one of the funniest sci-fi moments on television.
Tsk. Turning you back on Canadian greatness, huh? Tsk.

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Well, yeah Claudia Black is hot, but the character was really dumb. Why did they need her on the team? They spent a lot of time keeping her out of trouble.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos wrote:Tsk. Turning you back on Canadian greatness, huh? Tsk.
Canadian, American, British, most of them fail. Doesn't matter if it's made in Vancouver or not. When it comes to television, the story better go somewhere or I'm out. Like Seinfeld says...

"If I want to watch a long, boring story with no point to it, I have my life." :)

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Tsk. Turning you back on Canadian greatness, huh? Tsk.
Canadian, American, British, most of them fail. Doesn't matter if it's made in Vancouver or not. When it comes to television, the story better go somewhere or I'm out. Like Seinfeld says...

"If I want to watch a long, boring story with no point to it, I have my life." :)
Actually, all of them eventually fail.

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Not all of them. There is Battlestar Galactica. And of course, anime :)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

You can't count shows that are still on. And "Anime" is not a movie. That's like saying that "Drama" never failed.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I like Stargate SG-1 well enough and watch it when I happen to catch it on; I still haven't really warmed to Atlantis, yet, tho.

I was really into it until they revealed that the gate is basically just a variation on the Star Trek transporter with a gland problem.

Yeah, I know, it isn't exactly, it uses wormholes, etc etc etc, but they're the same in the one most important detail: they disassemble matter and reintegrate it at the destination.

Sorry, but I find it hard to get excited about a mode of transportation that in effect kills you but creates a perfect replica that thinks it's you.

Give me a Caleban jump-door or a foldship. Otherwise, I'll just stay at home. In my room. In stretchy pants. ;)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos wrote:You can't count shows that are still on. And "Anime" is not a movie. That's like saying that "Drama" never failed.
I don't follow. My preference is the criteria of a dramatic structure with a beginning, middle and end (or acts, if you will). BSG will be following that process, much like Babylon 5. Also the vast majority of anime are single season stories that tell a complete tale from beginning to end. Sequels may be produced but the narrative is complete and self-contained in each installment.

By contrast, nearly all North American television is episodic with no conscious plan to tell a cohesive narrative over time. Series continue to produce story with no end until the product is no longer popular and a faux finale is sometimes created if the show isn't simply canceled.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:By contrast, nearly all North American television is episodic with no conscious plan to tell a cohesive narrative over time. Series continue to produce story with no end until the product is no longer popular and a faux finale is sometimes created if the show isn't simply canceled.
That is not true. I refer you to the highly structured and always internally cohesive, The Love Boat. There will never be another like it. :P

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

LOVE! Exciting and new!
Come aboard, we're expecting you!
Love, life's sweetest reward,
Let it flow, it floats back to you!

The Love Boat
Soon will be making another run!
The Love Boat
Promises something for everyone!
Set a course for adventure,
Your mind on a new romance!

And love ... won't hurt anymore.
It's an open smile on a friendly shore.
It's love!
Welcome aboard!
It's lo-o-o-ve!!!

GAD I miss that show! :D

(But there is something decidedly WRONG with a world where these lyrics can be found so easily online. :shock: )

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

This reminded me of something strange. I don't know why, but it's like I'm remembering some homage to The Love Boat in another show. Or maybe someone talking about it in a DVD commentary. Very strange. Deja Vu!

Liege-Killer

Re: Stargate News

Post by Liege-Killer »

Omphalos wrote:[....] which is a follow up to the direct to DVD movie that is sitting on the new releases shelf at my DVD store now. That one is called Stargate: The Ark of Truth.
Ahh... wasn't sure when that was coming out. I'll have to get it and watch it this weekend. I really liked the Ori as a worthy enemy, but the last couple SG seasons didn't really do much with them, and were consequently pretty boring. Hopefully Ark of Truth will remedy that.
GamePlayer wrote:Stargate lasted two seasons with me. After that, I was bored.
IMO the first few seasons and the last few seasons were the weakest. It was best in the middle part -- roughly seasons 4-6, I'd say. For me, anyway.
GamePlayer

Re: Stargate News

Post by GamePlayer »

Liege-Killer wrote:IMO the first few seasons and the last few seasons were the weakest. It was best in the middle part -- roughly seasons 4-6, I'd say. For me, anyway.
I've actually seen much of the entire series. A friend of mine is a big fan who owned all the seasons of Stargate SG-1 on DVD. When the group would gather or when we had barbecues over at his place he'd stick several DVDs in his multi disk tray player and just let them run. We could often watch an episode or two while eating or when we were waiting for the girls to get ready. Over time, I ended up seeing a lot of it by happenstance.

Overall Stargate SG-1 isn't too bad. I'd never collect it or go out of my way to watch it, but it's one of those shows that are like comfort food. You watch it at any time, kinda like Law & Order or CSI.

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Damn it... my retarded video store didn't have Ark of Truth. Now I have to spend extra time plotting their punishment. No chance to relax, ever.... *sigh*
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Ok, watched Ark of Truth a few nights ago. Nothing special there. It was just like another season 10 episode. Blah.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

For some reason it's been coming up in my recommendations on Amazon the last few days.

WHY?!

Purge

Post by Purge »

New movie came out today, Continuum. I will probably check it out tonight.

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”