There Will Be Blood (Movie Review)

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
GamePlayer

There Will Be Blood (Movie Review)

Post by GamePlayer »

There Will Be Blood (2007)
Genre: Live Action Film – Drama

When an incisive story told with an adeptness for pacing appears like it does in the film There Will Be Blood, many viewers either relate to the character and are absorbed or reject the character and become bored. This latest film from director Paul Thomas Anderson wisely hedges bets upon the performance of lead actor Daniel Day-Lewis to carry the film and if one is mesmerized by the acting of Day-Lewis, Blood offers a truly remarkable film experience.

Daniel Day-Lewis plays turn-of-the-century oil entrepreneur Daniel Plainview, an ambitious and incredibly competitive man seeking success in California. With his son H.W. Plainview (Dillon Freasier) on proud display, Daniel attempts to win the hearts and minds of the common people as he purchases land which contains rich oil deposits. Not long after Plainview’s early success, demure common man Sunday (Paul Dano) arrives to offer Daniel the location of lands where the oil literally pools on the surface. Daniel takes his son cautiously across California to find Sunday’s oil lands and begin large mining operations.

There Will Be Blood takes the time to establish both mood and character with equal measure and builds to some incredible moments littered throughout the film. Daniel Day-Lewis as Plainview turns in a performance that elevates the film to such a degree it’s almost impossible to separate the movie from the man. Daniel Plainview is truly a hideous human being but his struggles are so genuine and his portrayal by Day-Lewis is so enthralling we are swept up into the story and marvel at each scene. Director Paul Thomas Anderson never moves the focus away from Daniel and the whole film becomes pointedly self-centered just like the character. Sunday becomes involved more and more throughout the story but only in as much as he crosses paths with Plainview. The pull and push between these adversaries plays out over many years and the conflicts are filled with palpable tension. Visually and musically, Blood is both hypnotic and repulsive. Jonny Greenwood (of Radiohead fame) adds a unique musical score to the visuals of cinematographer Robert Elswit to make Blood majestic when the story rises and malignant when film grows dark, as it so often does. The brilliant meshing of performance, music and picture in such unison only amplifies the focus of the movie on Daniel Plainview and never allows the audience a chance to wander even during Blood’s lengthy 2 ½ hour running time.

The one major flaw in There Will Be Blood can certainly be summarized as the arrival of Daniel’s brother and the unlikely dialog that shortly follows. Daniel becomes introspective with his brother almost instantly and one can’t help but feel this sudden complicity with his brother is far too unbelievable for a man who thrives on hating others. Fortunately the subplot serves as more delicious development for the character of Plainview, the climax of which propels the audience toward the final act with Day-Lewis’s performance to appease our suspension of disbelief. Little else maligns this film and the occasional weakness in the script is easily forgiven as the movie charges toward a very satisfying close; milkshakes and all.

Rating: 4 out of 5. There Will Be Blood succeeds on almost every level as an involved story of a vicious oil man and his quest for success who we watch in spite of ourselves due to an amazing performance by Daniel Day-Lewis.

There will be milkshakes and we will drink them up!
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Great review, GamePlayer! Makes me want to see it even more now. Do you think Daniel Day Lewis is any better or worse in this one that in has last few roles?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Thanks for the praise. It's closing in on Oscar time, so I've been going to all kinds of movies in the last two weeks. I saw a bunch during Christmas, including Juno, and the past weeks I've watched There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men and Michael Clayton. I'll be writing a bunch of reviews soon. It's good to be back at it.

Daniel Day-Lewis performances are always good. He's just phenomenal, whether its Last of The Mohicans, Gangs of New York or There Will Be Blood. Personally, I like him more here in Blood than I did in Gangs. But I like Blood better than Gangs, all due respect to Scorsese, one of my all-time favorite directors.

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

I never had any interest in this movie, then I went to see it on Saturday with a friend and I loved it. Great storytelling and the ending was perfect. It was an excellent piece of movie-making.
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

I so want to see this but its not playing near me yet :( On the plus side I'm seeing ATONEMENT thursday after school :D

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Post by Nekhrun »

Atonement was not as bad as I thought based on my wife's excitement to see it.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Nekhrun wrote:I never had any interest in this movie, then I went to see it on Saturday with a friend and I loved it. Great storytelling and the ending was perfect. It was an excellent piece of movie-making.
Oh yeah, that ending was killer :)

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Nekhrun wrote:Atonement was not as bad as I thought based on my wife's excitement to see it.

Just got my copy of the shooting script :twisted: WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”