Jericho

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Jericho

Post by Omphalos »

Jericho is coming to the SF Channel

Ive been torn about this show. I love the concept, but I hate the soap opera execution. I have heard that after the first six or so episodes they stopped with all the soap opera stuff. Anyone disagree with this?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Yeah, the first episode until about the 6th or 7th is pretty soapish, but after that it gets much better. In fact last summer, when they reran the series, instead of showing all the soapy episodes they created a highlights show and then skipped to the good stuff.
Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

Just got done with disc 5 of 6. The second half of the season is way better
than the first, and these last eight episodes are barn burner material. Very
worthy show, imo.
Liege-Killer

Re: Jericho

Post by Liege-Killer »

Omphalos wrote:Ive been torn about this show. I love the concept, but I hate the soap opera execution. I have heard that after the first six or so episodes they stopped with all the soap opera stuff. Anyone disagree with this?
Yes, I will disagree with that.

The "soap opera" charge can be leveled at many shows; I myself have used it in regards to BSG at times. But I think we throw that term around too loosely. What exactly does it mean anyway?

If we see the everyday personal issues in people's lives as simply a realistic background to the main story, then that's just good storytelling.

If that everyday personal stuff IS the main story, that's a soap opera.

I think it's pretty clear that we don't use the term accurately most of the time.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I don't use that term with BSG. Sure, there is some overblown drama, but I don't think its soap opera like. When I say that about Jericho I am referring to the way that the characters relate to each other; constantly talking and rehashing their personal choices, and focusing more on romantic links than plot. Take the main character's brother. He has a few kids, a loving wife, and the fucking world has come apart around them, and the only thing he can think about is the slut who runs the bar. Then, instead of worrying about survival (eg, finding supplies, fighting off the wolves from surrounding towns, etc) the only damn thing they could talk about was that clod's feelings and how said slut makes his soul soar 'pon gossamer wings. That's what I mean, because that's what they kept doing over and over again in the first few episodes.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

Omphalos wrote:Take the main character's brother. He has a few kids, a loving wife
For the record, Eric (the main guy's brother) doesn't have any kids. :D
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Star Dust wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Take the main character's brother. He has a few kids, a loving wife
For the record, Eric (the main guy's brother) doesn't have any kids. :D
Eh? Its been a while.

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Omphalos wrote:When I say that about Jericho I am referring to the way that the characters relate to each other; constantly talking and rehashing their personal choices, and focusing more on romantic links than plot.
Yeah, I knew that's what you meant. But I can't see how you don't think that applies to BSG too, with all the Apollo/Starbuck nonsense we've had to wade through. Even more so when it expanded into a 4-way with Dualla and
Sam thrown in the mix. Not to mention all the stuff with Helo and Sharon. It's the exact same kind of overblown personal crap you're complaining about in Jericho. No difference.
Omphalos wrote:[...] and the fucking world has come apart around them, and the only thing he can think about is the slut who runs the bar.
Kinda like when most of the human race has been exterminated by Cylons, but that doesn't stop BSG characters from obsessing over their relationships?

:P
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Well, I'm gonna be contrary and say that the "soap opera" thing applied to both Jericho and BSG. The worst BSG episodes last season involved the romances between the characters Liege mentioned. I like a little bit of romance.. like the romance between Roslin and Adama, it's sweet but it doesn't dominate the storyline. The crap with Lee/Kara/Dualla/Anders got on my nerves.

Jericho did the same thing when they let the romance between whatshisname's brother and the bar chick dominate. If it was just on the side I'd be OK with it.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Liege-Killer wrote:Yeah, I knew that's what you meant. But I can't see how you don't think that applies to BSG too, with all the Apollo/Starbuck nonsense we've had to wade through. Even more so when it expanded into a 4-way with Dualla and Sam thrown in the mix. Not to mention all the stuff with Helo and Sharon. It's the exact same kind of overblown personal crap you're complaining about in Jericho. No difference.
Because in BSG it seems to be more about fuckin' and getting that itch scratched so you can do your damn job. In Jericho it was more about making one's heart soar and finding someone who completes you, which is a buncha hooey. Melodrama as opposed to grittier drama. That is the dividing line, and even if there is some overlap, I will continue to see a difference in the presentation of the sentiment.

Plus, there is a context issue. In BSG you have a bunch of battle hardened and ready warriors who are waiting for the next fight, and who are capable of jumping up from sleep and fighting a battle. In between missions they do what soldiers in high stress situations do. Fuck, smoke, drink and gamble.

In Jericho you have a bunch of mid-west citizens who not only have no materials for war, but are not psychologically ready for what ever is coming next. They are in open air too, and not confined to their decks and billets. They know that they have a far journey to reach the top of the bell curve in terms of their knowledge, and people in that kind of situation generally avoid romantic entanglements that distract them from the hard job of survival. I just dont buy that that moron would be so bothered by the woman who is currently giving him sex that he would want to disrput the family, which is pretty much the only thing that heightens his chances for survival, to create a new family and risk death. Pure and simple. Human psychology, and the writers ignored how a nuclear war on the other side of the hill probably would radically change sex and survival drives in human beings.

Star Dust

Post by Star Dust »

BSG > Jericho.

Hawkins is cool, though. And his daughter's cute (sicko!). And the IRS agent is cute. But even then, BSG still has hotter womenz than Jericho, and big ass spaceships, so it's a no brainer.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Liege-Killer wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Ive been torn about this show. I love the concept, but I hate the soap opera execution. I have heard that after the first six or so episodes they stopped with all the soap opera stuff. Anyone disagree with this?
Yes, I will disagree with that.
Keep in mind, also, in case I have not made it clear enough, that I am only talking about the first six or so episodes, because that is all that I ever watched before giving up on Jericho.

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Omphalos wrote:Keep in mind, also, in case I have not made it clear enough, that I am only talking about the first six or so episodes, because that is all that I ever watched before giving up on Jericho.
Sure thing. Actually, my memory's a little fuzzy on which episodes were more "soapy" than others. But it doesn't matter, I don't deny that it was there. I'm just saying it's nothing unique to this show. You get that on other sci-fi shows as well.

And I don't see any big difference between Jericho and BSG in this regard. They both have their annoying soapy elements. I happen to find it slightly less annoying in Jericho. You go the other way. So be it, no problem.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Liege-Killer wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Keep in mind, also, in case I have not made it clear enough, that I am only talking about the first six or so episodes, because that is all that I ever watched before giving up on Jericho.
Sure thing. Actually, my memory's a little fuzzy on which episodes were more "soapy" than others. But it doesn't matter, I don't deny that it was there. I'm just saying it's nothing unique to this show. You get that on other sci-fi shows as well.
I pointed that out because I heard from others that the show lost a lot of the melodrama after episode seven. I do have great timing, dont I?

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”