Dr Who and Torchwood

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
chanilover

Dr Who and Torchwood

Post by chanilover »

Both series are good, but I prefer Torchwood. Are these shows shown outside the UK?
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Dr. Who can be seen on the SF Channel here. Its got a place of honor on that channel's anchor night, Friday evening. Torchwood has much lower visibility, being available only on BBC America. Its getting a lot of praises from critics, and seems popular too. Both get good ratings considering the networks they get aired on, and I pretty regularly see Torchwood ads on other networks.

CL, did you watch any of the older Dr. Who stuff?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Yeah, Torchwood is on BBCAmerica and Dr Who was on the SciFi channel.

I never got much into Dr Who, and I've heard that Torchwood is shite.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Ragabash is an old Dr. Who fan from way back. What do you think of the new one, Raggy?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

I've seen the first 2 seasons of the new Dr. Who, good fun stuff. Torchwood was a bit weak at first but it gets better as the season progress'.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Haven't seen either, though I always wanted to check out the one season run of Dr. Who when Eccleston was the Doctor. I heard it was great.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Ragabash
The Benefactor

Post by Ragabash »

Omphalos wrote:Ragabash is an old Dr. Who fan from way back. What do you think of the new one, Raggy?
I am a huge fan of the new Dr. Who and of Torchwood. Dr. Who preserves the heart of the older version of the show (equal parts whimsy and "playing-for-keeps"), while giving the Doctor a dark, nasty edge that wasn't really there before. I'm all for giving old childhood favorites new teeth. :)

Which is why I like Torchwood! It's like Dr. Who, except people drop the F-bomb, get drunk and have sex. It's refreshing to have themes we see every day as adults represented in a television series, but that's pretty much par for the course in most British shows. Also, there's only oblique references to the original source material (almost unheard of in most spinoffs). All in all, big thumbs up.
GLaDOS wrote: This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
Ragabash
The Benefactor

Post by Ragabash »

Oh, and I've seen all of it via highly illegal downloads from the intartubes. :D
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Omphalos wrote: CL, did you watch any of the older Dr. Who stuff?
No, it was a bit before my time. It was on when I was a kid, but according to Wikipedia it was taken off air by the time I was 9.

It's on Saturday tea time on BBC1. Torchwood is usually on mid-week after 9.00pm on BBC3. Dr Who is OK, Torchwood is pretty good.
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

The last summer I lived at home (between graduating from high school and going off to State), I worked at my uncle's truck stop pumping gas, changing oil and doing various other odd jobs (like painting the building...a lot of fun that was. Especially the evening my cousins and I left off with a very anti-Tolkienesque sentiment clearly visible to everyone coming off the highway: "DIE EL F!").

Anyway...I'd drag in home and take a quick shower and fix myself a heaping helping of salad—all I felt like eating, for some reason—and plop down in front of the TV and watch Dr. Who on PBS. It was the fourth series, with Tom Baker as the Doctor.

I haven't seen any of the other series. And know not this Torchwood of which ye speak. ;)
tanzeelat

Post by tanzeelat »

I can't say I'm a fan of Torchwood. Russell T Davies clearly wants to be Joss Whedon, but since I could never understand the appeal of Buffy, I don't see what's so good about Torchwood. The characters are unlikeable, the plots are silly, and having snog each other and anything else that moves is...

Having said that, the second episode of the second series (broadcast last Wednesday) wasn't bad. It actually had a plot, and one of the characters had a real story-arc.
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Ragabash wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Ragabash is an old Dr. Who fan from way back. What do you think of the new one, Raggy?
I am a huge fan of the new Dr. Who and of Torchwood. Dr. Who preserves the heart of the older version of the show (equal parts whimsy and "playing-for-keeps"), while giving the Doctor a dark, nasty edge that wasn't really there before. I'm all for giving old childhood favorites new teeth. :)

Which is why I like Torchwood! It's like Dr. Who, except people drop the F-bomb, get drunk and have sex. It's refreshing to have themes we see every day as adults represented in a television series, but that's pretty much par for the course in most British shows. Also, there's only oblique references to the original source material (almost unheard of in most spinoffs). All in all, big thumbs up.
I'm an old Dr. Who fan from back in the day, but I haven't seen any of the new ones. They still have K9?
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

tanzeelat wrote:I can't say I'm a fan of Torchwood. Russell T Davies clearly wants to be Joss Whedon, but since I could never understand the appeal of Buffy, I don't see what's so good about Torchwood. The characters are unlikeable, the plots are silly, and having snog each other and anything else that moves is...

Having said that, the second episode of the second series (broadcast last Wednesday) wasn't bad. It actually had a plot, and one of the characters had a real story-arc.
I think the characters are deliberately unlikeable. The gay snogging is such a bore, if you're going to poof it up, at least do it properly. Captain Jack is hot for a guy in his 40s though, I'd definitely do him.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Ragabash wrote:

I'm an old Dr. Who fan from back in the day, but I haven't seen any of the new ones. They still have K9?
The metal dog turned up for one episode. It was shit.
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

chanilover wrote:
tanzeelat wrote:I can't say I'm a fan of Torchwood. Russell T Davies clearly wants to be Joss Whedon, but since I could never understand the appeal of Buffy, I don't see what's so good about Torchwood. The characters are unlikeable, the plots are silly, and having snog each other and anything else that moves is...

I think the characters are deliberately unlikeable. The gay snogging is such a bore, if you're going to poof it up, at least do it properly. Captain Jack is hot for a guy in his 40s though, I'd definitely do him.

I know several hetero men who would do Captain Jack.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Ragabash
The Benefactor

Post by Ragabash »

chanilover wrote:

Agreed, the poofery in that show seems trumped up and solely done to be edgy.

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”