Dr Who and Torchwood

SF genre TV and Movie discussions

Dr Who and Torchwood

Postby chanilover » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:31 am

Both series are good, but I prefer Torchwood. Are these shows shown outside the UK?
Image
chanilover
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Postby Omphalos » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:06 am

Dr. Who can be seen on the SF Channel here. Its got a place of honor on that channel's anchor night, Friday evening. Torchwood has much lower visibility, being available only on BBC America. Its getting a lot of praises from critics, and seems popular too. Both get good ratings considering the networks they get aired on, and I pretty regularly see Torchwood ads on other networks.

CL, did you watch any of the older Dr. Who stuff?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5678
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Mandy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:06 am

Yeah, Torchwood is on BBCAmerica and Dr Who was on the SciFi channel.

I never got much into Dr Who, and I've heard that Torchwood is shite.
User avatar
Mandy
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Postby Omphalos » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:36 am

Ragabash is an old Dr. Who fan from way back. What do you think of the new one, Raggy?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)



The Omphalos Umbrella Page
User avatar
Omphalos
Alien Overlord
 
Posts: 5678
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

Postby Robspierre » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:15 pm

I've seen the first 2 seasons of the new Dr. Who, good fun stuff. Torchwood was a bit weak at first but it gets better as the season progress'.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.

http://kiltedrobspub.blogspot.com/
User avatar
Robspierre
Archivist
 
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:52 am
Location: The Cascades of Oregon

Postby GamePlayer » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:20 pm

Haven't seen either, though I always wanted to check out the one season run of Dr. Who when Eccleston was the Doctor. I heard it was great.
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
User avatar
GamePlayer
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby Ragabash » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:12 pm

Omphalos wrote:Ragabash is an old Dr. Who fan from way back. What do you think of the new one, Raggy?


I am a huge fan of the new Dr. Who and of Torchwood. Dr. Who preserves the heart of the older version of the show (equal parts whimsy and "playing-for-keeps"), while giving the Doctor a dark, nasty edge that wasn't really there before. I'm all for giving old childhood favorites new teeth. :)

Which is why I like Torchwood! It's like Dr. Who, except people drop the F-bomb, get drunk and have sex. It's refreshing to have themes we see every day as adults represented in a television series, but that's pretty much par for the course in most British shows. Also, there's only oblique references to the original source material (almost unheard of in most spinoffs). All in all, big thumbs up.
GLaDOS wrote:This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
User avatar
Ragabash
The Benefactor
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: Sacramento. CA

Postby Ragabash » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:13 pm

Oh, and I've seen all of it via highly illegal downloads from the intartubes. :D
GLaDOS wrote:This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
User avatar
Ragabash
The Benefactor
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: Sacramento. CA

Postby chanilover » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:00 am

Omphalos wrote:CL, did you watch any of the older Dr. Who stuff?


No, it was a bit before my time. It was on when I was a kid, but according to Wikipedia it was taken off air by the time I was 9.

It's on Saturday tea time on BBC1. Torchwood is usually on mid-week after 9.00pm on BBC3. Dr Who is OK, Torchwood is pretty good.
Image
chanilover
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Postby SandChigger » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:22 am

The last summer I lived at home (between graduating from high school and going off to State), I worked at my uncle's truck stop pumping gas, changing oil and doing various other odd jobs (like painting the building...a lot of fun that was. Especially the evening my cousins and I left off with a very anti-Tolkienesque sentiment clearly visible to everyone coming off the highway: "DIE EL F!").

Anyway...I'd drag in home and take a quick shower and fix myself a heaping helping of salad—all I felt like eating, for some reason—and plop down in front of the TV and watch Dr. Who on PBS. It was the fourth series, with Tom Baker as the Doctor.

I haven't seen any of the other series. And know not this Torchwood of which ye speak. ;)
User avatar
SandChigger
Archivist
 
Posts: 4577
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Sietch Tigr, near Arrakeen

Postby tanzeelat » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:40 am

I can't say I'm a fan of Torchwood. Russell T Davies clearly wants to be Joss Whedon, but since I could never understand the appeal of Buffy, I don't see what's so good about Torchwood. The characters are unlikeable, the plots are silly, and having snog each other and anything else that moves is...

Having said that, the second episode of the second series (broadcast last Wednesday) wasn't bad. It actually had a plot, and one of the characters had a real story-arc.
User avatar
tanzeelat
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:34 am

Postby Tleilax Master B » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:05 am

Ragabash wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Ragabash is an old Dr. Who fan from way back. What do you think of the new one, Raggy?


I am a huge fan of the new Dr. Who and of Torchwood. Dr. Who preserves the heart of the older version of the show (equal parts whimsy and "playing-for-keeps"), while giving the Doctor a dark, nasty edge that wasn't really there before. I'm all for giving old childhood favorites new teeth. :)

Which is why I like Torchwood! It's like Dr. Who, except people drop the F-bomb, get drunk and have sex. It's refreshing to have themes we see every day as adults represented in a television series, but that's pretty much par for the course in most British shows. Also, there's only oblique references to the original source material (almost unheard of in most spinoffs). All in all, big thumbs up.


I'm an old Dr. Who fan from back in the day, but I haven't seen any of the new ones. They still have K9?
Image
User avatar
Tleilax Master B
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Postby chanilover » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:42 am

tanzeelat wrote:I can't say I'm a fan of Torchwood. Russell T Davies clearly wants to be Joss Whedon, but since I could never understand the appeal of Buffy, I don't see what's so good about Torchwood. The characters are unlikeable, the plots are silly, and having snog each other and anything else that moves is...

Having said that, the second episode of the second series (broadcast last Wednesday) wasn't bad. It actually had a plot, and one of the characters had a real story-arc.


I think the characters are deliberately unlikeable. The gay snogging is such a bore, if you're going to poof it up, at least do it properly. Captain Jack is hot for a guy in his 40s though, I'd definitely do him.
Image
chanilover
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Postby chanilover » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:43 am

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Ragabash wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Ragabash is an old Dr. Who fan from way back. What do you think of the new one, Raggy?


I am a huge fan of the new Dr. Who and of Torchwood. Dr. Who preserves the heart of the older version of the show (equal parts whimsy and "playing-for-keeps"), while giving the Doctor a dark, nasty edge that wasn't really there before. I'm all for giving old childhood favorites new teeth. :)

Which is why I like Torchwood! It's like Dr. Who, except people drop the F-bomb, get drunk and have sex. It's refreshing to have themes we see every day as adults represented in a television series, but that's pretty much par for the course in most British shows. Also, there's only oblique references to the original source material (almost unheard of in most spinoffs). All in all, big thumbs up.


I'm an old Dr. Who fan from back in the day, but I haven't seen any of the new ones. They still have K9?


The metal dog turned up for one episode. It was shit.
Image
chanilover
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Postby Robspierre » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:14 pm

chanilover wrote:
tanzeelat wrote:I can't say I'm a fan of Torchwood. Russell T Davies clearly wants to be Joss Whedon, but since I could never understand the appeal of Buffy, I don't see what's so good about Torchwood. The characters are unlikeable, the plots are silly, and having snog each other and anything else that moves is...

Having said that, the second episode of the second series (broadcast last Wednesday) wasn't bad. It actually had a plot, and one of the characters had a real story-arc.


I think the characters are deliberately unlikeable. The gay snogging is such a bore, if you're going to poof it up, at least do it properly. Captain Jack is hot for a guy in his 40s though, I'd definitely do him.



I know several hetero men who would do Captain Jack.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.

http://kiltedrobspub.blogspot.com/
User avatar
Robspierre
Archivist
 
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:52 am
Location: The Cascades of Oregon

Postby Ragabash » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:24 pm

chanilover wrote:
tanzeelat wrote:I can't say I'm a fan of Torchwood. Russell T Davies clearly wants to be Joss Whedon, but since I could never understand the appeal of Buffy, I don't see what's so good about Torchwood. The characters are unlikeable, the plots are silly, and having snog each other and anything else that moves is...

Having said that, the second episode of the second series (broadcast last Wednesday) wasn't bad. It actually had a plot, and one of the characters had a real story-arc.


I think the characters are deliberately unlikeable. The gay snogging is such a bore, if you're going to poof it up, at least do it properly. Captain Jack is hot for a guy in his 40s though, I'd definitely do him.


Agreed, the poofery in that show seems trumped up and solely done to be edgy.
GLaDOS wrote:This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
User avatar
Ragabash
The Benefactor
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: Sacramento. CA


Return to Genre TV and Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron