CSA

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Freakzilla
Archivist

CSA

Post by Freakzilla »

Confederate States of America

I just watched this and it was very disturbing. Anyone seen it?

It answers the question, "What if the South had one?"

I know it's not Sci-Fi, but I've always like the alternative history stories.
The Confederate States of America, through the eyes of a faux documentary, takes a look at an America where the South won the Civil War. Supposedly produced by a British broadcasting company, the feature film is presented as a production being shown, controversially, for the first time on television in the States.

Beginning with the British and French forces joining the battle with the Confederacy, thus assuring the defeat of the North at Gettysburg and ensuing battles, the South takes the battle northward and form one country out of the two.

Lincoln attempts escape to Canada but is captured in blackface. This moment is captured in the clip of a silent film that might have been.

Through the use of other fabricated movie segments, old government information films, television commercials, news breaks, along with actual stock footage from our own history, a provocative and humorous story is told of a country which, in many ways, frighteningly follows a parallel with our own.

After victory, President Davis brings slavery back to the northern states by offering a tax rebate to businesses and households who will buy and own them.Liberals move to Canada. The nation chooses an expansionist policy and conquers Cuba, Mexico and South America.

As world war looms, the CSA takes a nonagressive stance toward the Third Reich and their move toward racial purity (although not condoning their wasting of possible slave stock by the Final Solution) and makes a preemptive strike on Japan on December 7, 1941.

Kennedy is assassinated soon after being elected as it appears he will not only emancipate but also give women the vote. A growing black terrorist base stems from Canada and a Cold War breaks out...complete with the Cotton Curtain being built between the two countries.

Through it all, including a contemporary run for the presidency, we follow a political dynasty, the Fauntroy family, who lead the country through its triumphs and tragedies.

We arrive to a today that, in many ways, we recognize. Although a nation that is content and prosperous, there is a tremendous divide within and suspicious eye without. Current politicians refer to us as two countries and perhaps, other than geographically, there is no difference between Red and Blue or North and South states. We have always struggled as to whether we are the United or Confederate States of America.
http://www.csathemovie.com/
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Wow. I have never heard of this, and I absolutely think its SF. Altered histories are a big SF sub-genre, and quite a few have no SF content at all, such as The Alteration , by Kingsley Amis, and Pavane, by Keith Richards.

Im sure that this was not done as a SF genre entry, but I have no problems claiming it properly belongs in the sub-genre of altered pasts.

Did you see it on DVD, or is it running on a network now?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

I wonder if they used Turtledoves alternate history books for this?

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Nekhrun
Archivist

Re: CSA

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:It answers the question, "What if the South had one?"
If you look at the textbooks for Science and Social Studies in this country, or the way religion has worked its way into our government it looks like they did win afterall.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

I think it's very unrealistic, actually.

A slave-based rural economy would never prove as effective as the alternative, in the end. Quelling slave rebellions costs money, I hear.

I'm also not so certain that the South would have invaded the North in the first place. The Confederacy was seen more as a Second Revolutionary War to the South, they wanted independence from the North, not to conquer it and expand slavery to those damn Yankees.

Still, it is a neat idea. I think I've been hearing "What if the South had won?" since I was about 6, though.

I wouldn't exist. :(
"It means ruin to choose to think for oneself if one can't think." -Jens Bjorneboe
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

The South DID invade the North. What state do you think Gettysburg was in? The year before they invaded Maryland.

~Leto II, God Emperor
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

And don't forget Morgan's Raiders, who caused a bit of a stir north of the Ohio. :D
Ragabash
The Benefactor

Post by Ragabash »

I saw this the other night. It wasn't half bad in the alternate history department, but it did make some really outrageous assumptions about the nature of the war and some key historical events. Worth a peek, tho.
GLaDOS wrote: This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Ragabash wrote:I saw this the other night. It wasn't half bad in the alternate history department, but it did make some really outrageous assumptions about the nature of the war and some key historical events. Worth a peek, tho.
Can someone tell me what network its airing on?
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Ragabash
The Benefactor

Post by Ragabash »

Omphalos wrote:
Ragabash wrote:I saw this the other night. It wasn't half bad in the alternate history department, but it did make some really outrageous assumptions about the nature of the war and some key historical events. Worth a peek, tho.
I dunno, I saw it on DVD.
GLaDOS wrote: This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
I saw it on IFC (Independant Film Channel).

~Leto II, God Emperor

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”