I am Legend

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

I am Legend

Post by Omphalos »

I was in Seattle on business for the last few days and got away one evening to watch this film. Man, it was awesome! The only criticism I have was that it moved a bit too quickly in the end (but that was probably because the filmmakers took their time in the first 2/3 to tell the story right) and two issues were left, as far as I can tell, unexplained, 1 big and 1 small. In the end, I left amazed and wanting more.

It is different than that book. The enemy has been changed essentially from vampires to zombies (which I have NO problem with), the facts of the death of teh main character's family's fate are changed a great deal, and the nature of the enemy has been greatly changed. But they really told an excellent Last Man On Earth tale, and kept the importance of the title, which was the hook in the original story (although they did change the significance, it was still pretty strong).

Will Smith was excellent. They decided to write out the lust issues, which I think is a good thing as its hard to depict those visually without getting skeezy. But if I had to categorize Smith's movies in order of best acted to worst, I would put this one at number two, just below "Six Degrees of Separation."

BTW, this was nothing like any of the cheeze-ball scripts I had read on line. It really was stunning, and I cannot wait for it to be on DVD.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Here is a link to the alternate ending of this movie. This ending certainly is closer to the ending of Matheson's book, and I think its a bit better than the one that was in the theatrical release, but it is still far away from what Matheson wrote. Enjoy!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Thanks for that Omphalos a much better ending than the grenade straitjacket one.
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

-Rimmer’s farewell speech
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

a'yup.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

I was browsing the Barnes & Noble shelf's and was surprised by how many of Matheson's works have been adapted.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Even more of his stuff was stolen by King and others who then adapted their own derivative stories.

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Omphalos wrote:Even more of his stuff was stolen by King and others who then adapted their own derivative stories.
As in Stephen King?
Look, I'm not much good at big speeches, and I know I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with, and I know, that given the choice, I wouldn't have chosen you as friends, but I just want to say, that over the years, I have come to regard you as people I met.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

No, as in Larry.

That old brace-wearing baaaastard!

:P
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

And here he is doing the time for his crime :)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I knew that guy was pretty fucking old, but he was born before the year 971? I guess I believe that.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Ah...971...it was a very good year....

* Kenneth II of Scotland succeeds Culen as King, though he will not be sole king until 977.

* Saint Swithun's body is moved into an indoor shrine (he was previously buried outside). The ceremony is said to have been marred by 40 days of torrential rain.

* January 23 - In China, the war elephant corps of the Southern Han are soundly defeated at Shao by crossbow fire from Song Dynasty troops. The Southern Han state is forced to submit to the Song Dynasty, ending not only Southern Han rule, but also the first regular war elephant corps employed in a Chinese army that had gained the Southern Han victories throughout the 10th century.

* Basileus John I Tzimiskes defeats Sviatoslav I of Kiev in the Fifth Rus'-Byzantine War.

Births

Kushyar ibn Labban
Mahmud of Ghazni
Emperor Shengzong of Liao

Deaths

Abu Jafar Khazeni
Culen of Scotland
Ziri ibn Manad

:D
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

God it’s worse than we could ever have imagined. After running the photo through some very sophisticated, and secret, chronofilters it has come to light that he is in fact……Dum, Dum.. DDUMMM!!! The Terminator.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:shock:

My Gawd...a little throw-away joke...and it's taken on a life of it's own! :oops:

:P

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”