Top 25 SF on TV and in the Movies, per EW

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Top 25 SF on TV and in the Movies, per EW

Post by Omphalos »

Did anyone see this on Yahoo yesterday? Apparently Entertainment Weeekly came out with its list of the top 25 SF shows and movies in the last 25 years. Here is the list:

HERE is a link.

Here is the list"

25.) V
24.) The Galaxy Quest
23.) Doctor Who
22.) Quantum Leap
21.) Futurama
20.) Star Wars: Clone Wars
19.) Starship Troopers
18.) Hereos
17.) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
16.) Total Recall
15.) Firefly/Serenity
14.) Children of Men
13.) The Terminator/Terminator 2
12.) Back to the Future
11.) Lost
10.) The Thing
9.) Aliens
8.) Star Trek: The Next Generation
7.) E.T.
6.) Brazil
5.) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
4.) The X-Files
3.) Blade Runner
2.) Battlestar Galactica
1.) The Matrix

I think its funny that they made some advertisements the Number 20 entry. And ST:II should not be higher than ST:TNG. Some episodes of ST:TNG are as good or better than movies. And really? V?

But other than that, the list aint too bad. I think I would have had Children of Men vying with Blade Runner, BSG and The Matrix for places 1-4.

Contact should be in there somewhere too. I loved that movie.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Any "sci-fi best of" list without 2001: A Space Odyssey is automatically disqualified! Lost/Hereos/V? These shows are not timeless classics! And I sure as hell hope they mean Battlestar Galactica Re-imagined 2004, because the original was even worse than that Buck Rogers show that was on at the same time. Bask in the greatness of my opinions, for they are the only ones that matter :) :lol: :P
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:Any "sci-fi best of" list without 2001: A Space Odyssey is automatically disqualified! Lost/Hereos/V? These shows are not timeless classics! And I sure as hell hope they mean Battlestar Galactica Re-imagined 2004, because the original was even worse than that Buck Rogers show that was on at the same time. Bask in the greatness of my opinions, for they are the only ones that matter :) :lol: :P
It limits itself to the last 25 years only.

And....We are mighty full of ourselves lately, arent we? Whatever happened to Canadian low-key attitudes? :wink:

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Yeah I know, but I'm dismissing it regardless of the critera :)

Regarding my opinions, it's prompted by the acusation that I was somehow to blame for the state of Arrakeen. The inner asshole comes out in full force when I'm the target of someone else's shortcomings. Besides, you can always ban me; it's like, the totally latest thang, dontcha know? :lol: :P :D

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:....Besides, you can always ban me; it's like, the totally latest thang, dontcha know? :lol: :P :D
Just dont make fun of my cats, and we should be OK. :lol:

GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

I hate cat people :) :lol: :P

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Meow.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Purr
Friends are the family we choose.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

I think robots make better pets.
"It means ruin to choose to think for oneself if one can't think." -Jens Bjorneboe
Eru

Post by Eru »

Star Wars: Clone Wars is not an advertisement. It consists of 2 just over an hour long installments (which were split into multiple 5-10 minute chapters for CartoonNetwork). It is actually quite good. Much better than Episodes 1-3. I recently bought a DVD of the first half at a yard sale for like 5 bucks. I wouldn't pay 5 cents for all three of the Prequel Movies.

Makes me sick that The Matrix is #1. Pathetic. Cool to see Brazil and Futurama on the list, though.
"We must make an Idol of our fear and call it God"

--The Seventh Sign

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”