New Joss Whedon show, Dollhouse

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

New Joss Whedon show, Dollhouse

Post by Omphalos »

I can't remember if Ive seen any posts about this show, but it looks totally cool. Its about some spy orginazation where they program their agents with different personalities and skills, then when the mission ends bring them home and wipe their memories for the next mission. Looks pretty cool. Here is a Variety link:

Variety Article

Though I can't believe Weadon would willingly go back to Fox after their editorial control simply ruined the broadcast version of Firefly. I guess that the piles of money they must have paid him were worth it!

I hope the strike does not kill it.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

It sounds interesting. I hope it's quirky like Firefly was... well not that I'm getting my hopes up about any new shows just yet. I'll be glad when the strike is over.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

Being a big fan of Firefly/Serenity, I hope this next Joss Whedon show is treated better. I like the title for the show Dollhouse and the concept is something new for most western audiences. The concepts are more than just a little reminiscent of Ghost in the Shell, particularly Stand Alone Complex and Innocence. The use of female robots as dolls and programmable assassins is a theme visited many times throughout the anime and manga.

Having said that, Whedon will no doubt put his own stamp on the concept and his dialog should be killer, as it so often is. Let's just hope Whedon is wise enough to avoid FOX, the great show killer network :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Its probably going to be a real strain on the actors, having to adopt a new character every episode. Hope they are up to it.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

A new trailer is up. Looks pretty good, lotsa hot chicks, and Helo. Plus, I think I saw a group shower scene in there.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:)

I like that one line especially:

"Well...this is spectacularly unacceptable." :P
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
GamePlayer

Post by GamePlayer »

It's got Olivia Williams, so yeah, I'm watching :)
"What are we to call him, this Player of Games?"

"The books of Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert lie in a realm of uncertainty between self-conscious absurdity and genuine failure"
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Looks like the soon-to-be-fans of Dollhouse are taking no chances with FOX. I'm surprised that they are not circulating petitions to save the show now.

EDIT: But wait! There's more!!

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Joss Wheadon is re-filming the pilot of this thing.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

It appears that this is still a go. Should be any time now.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

THIS ONE still sounds interesting. :D

(Btw, any news on the Ghost in the Shell live action thingy?)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Did anyone watch this show earlier tonight? I thought it was pretty good. The writing seems as great as ever for a Joss Wheadon show. Tons 'o honeys too. That half-Tibetian chick is too hot for words.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Omphalos wrote:Did anyone watch this show earlier tonight? I thought it was pretty good. The writing seems as great as ever for a Joss Wheadon show. Tons 'o honeys too. That half-Tibetian chick is too hot for words.

damnit i forgot it premiered last night. definitely going to watch that today.
I am not my own.
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I thought it sucked. The writing and acting were horrible.. when they raced motorcycles into a Chinese restaurant/dance club, then hopped off and started dancing, I knew it wasn't going to be great.

The good thing is, each episode can be almost completely different. There is a lot of room for improvement. Hopefully Eliza Duschku will get some acting lessons.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

just watched it. i agree the acting was pretty horrible and that opening race/dance scene probably lost them a few thousand viewers for good, (though the dress she was wearing may have kept a few of them holding on ;) ).

i think it's got great potential though and the various plotlines are well contrived.

Whedon has always been very good at characterization and creating very deep personas in his characters. It'll be interesting to see how he creates deep and lasting character profiles in characters who change personas every episode. I like the internal struggles in Echo, her handler, etc. the cold-heartedness of the memory-wiper guy is well done too. and the wierd bit at the end will make for some interesting complications in the future.

overall, I give it a B- as far as pilots go, but let's hope it improves over time.
I am not my own.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

The acting was a bit rough, but not too bad for a premier/pilot. I have seen much, much worse. But the writing I thought was excellent. Teased, without revealing too much, and without sounding like they were deliberately withholding. Pretty good take on the concept that technology is not the panacea and does not make us into gods. The whole evil-business-empire thing rung as a little hackneyed, but we shall see. Plus....Like....The Tibetan chick. Woah!

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

dushku is friggen hot too :)
I am not my own.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

What with all the attention on BSG this weekend, I forgot to comment about this week's episode of Dollhouse. I think it took a turn towards something pretty cool. Looks like the Dollhouse is much, much bigger than it appears, and this may be some the start of some powergrabbing play.

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I had to choose between Dollhouse and BSG's finale, and BSG won. Everyone is saying how good this episode was, so I'm looking forward to the next one.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

I didn't jump on board when this one started, but decided a few days ago to check it out. However, I've missed the first episode since I can't find it online, so I don't know how much necessary info I'm missing. I did watch episodes 2 and 3. I'm not terribly impressed, although it was mildly interesting. I guess I'll watch a few more and see how it goes.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Liege-Killer wrote:I didn't jump on board when this one started, but decided a few days ago to check it out. However, I've missed the first episode since I can't find it online, so I don't know how much necessary info I'm missing. I did watch episodes 2 and 3. I'm not terribly impressed, although it was mildly interesting. I guess I'll watch a few more and see how it goes.
So far it has really not been too impressive. Goofy plots, improbable shadowy organizations, unclear motivations, extreme character behaviors, poor acting, no direction and beleive it or not a little pollyannishness, considering the themes. But it has been at least watchable, and the last episode hinted at some greatness to come, and hopefully a few cures for the above (save for the acting - that should take longer).

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

yeah, the last episode was one of the best so far and hinted at a wider conspiracy to explore.

LK - try looking at surfthechannel.com.. it has links to all of the episodes there
though the first episode was crap anyways... random 5 minute dance scene at the beginning... really retarded but damn was her dress hot!
I am not my own.
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Yeah, I wouldn't even waste time trying to download the pilot, it sucked and you can pick up any important tidbits you might have missed in the next few equally crappy episodes. I thought the 5th episode was pretty good, but I missed the 6th one so I could watch the BSG finale.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Mandy wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't even waste time trying to download the pilot, it sucked and you can pick up any important tidbits you might have missed in the next few equally crappy episodes. I thought the 5th episode was pretty good, but I missed the 6th one so I could watch the BSG finale.
episode 1

episode 6
I am not my own.
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Thanks The Phantom. I'll take a look at the pilot just for the sake of completeness. Everything after that I've found on hulu.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

wow.. this week kicked it up about 10 notches.
i loved it.
I am not my own.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Baraka Bryan wrote:wow.. this week kicked it up about 10 notches.
i loved it.
My fucking DVR farted on me and failed to record Dollhouse and SCC. Damn piece of shit.

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

It was OK, Dushku still can't act. At least the episode was silly in a fun way.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

I've watched up to the fourth episode, and I'm really borderline as to whether or not I want to continue.
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

The 5th one is supposed to be where the series takes off. Something about the network letting Whedon do his thing.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

i can agree with that... watch up till the 6th (latest) episode, and if it hasn't grabbed you by then, you probbly won't miss much by letting it go.

i loved the last episode... really well done. dushku isn't a good actor like mandy said.. but there are a number of others that make up for it.
I am not my own.
The Phantom

Re: New Joss Whedon show, Dollhouse

Post by The Phantom »

anyone else still watching this?
the last 3 episodes have been great.
NSA victor was awesome. real echo sucked balls though... she really can't act
I am not my own.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Im watching. Its OK. good thing Dushku is hot.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Omphalos wrote:Im watching. Its OK. good thing Dushku is hot.
ya she could never get away with that acting otherwise.
I am not my own.
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Yep, I'm still watching it. It is getting better, thank jebus. Sierra is much more interesting than Echo, I really wish the show was about her instead. Helo just annoys me, and I still hate Topher.
Reductio ad Hypatiam
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

Mandy wrote:Yep, I'm still watching it. It is getting better, thank jebus. Sierra is much more interesting than Echo, I really wish the show was about her instead. Helo just annoys me, and I still hate Topher.
Topher and De Vitt (De Witt?) drugged up was awesome though... hillarious.
I am not my own.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:Yep, I'm still watching it. It is getting better, thank jebus. Sierra is much more interesting than Echo, I really wish the show was about her instead. Helo just annoys me, and I still hate Topher.
If Dushku would knock off those hyper-exaggurated tics and movements she would not be regarded so poorly as an actress. That Topher guy needs a fucking bullet. Im hoping that goth VN girl in his lab gives it to him. As for Helo, he recovered faster from the bullet he took in Dollhouse than any wound in BSG. That dude must be immortal. :P

Sierra=Hubba-Hubba.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

Word is episode 12 will be the last one. One of the writers of Episode 13 mentioned to Warren Ellis her episode will only be seen on DVD.

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

That's because Fox never ordered episode 13, "Epitaph One". That episode is set in the far future, and was probably meant to be aired if the show was canceled. "Omega" will be the season finale. The show isn't canceled, yet.

http://whedon.info/Fox-paid-for-13-Doll ... sodes.html
Reductio ad Hypatiam
The Phantom

Post by The Phantom »

glad to hear it... i'm actually starting to enjoy it
I am not my own.
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

It is much better now. Last night's ep was pretty interesting. I was hoping Helo would have a complete breakdown, though :P
Reductio ad Hypatiam
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

What's the status of this one these days?

It's starting up over here next week, on the 14th. :dance:

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Cancelled, like Sarah Connor Chronicles, with a cliff-hanger pending.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Well, crap. :evil:

But that figures; the satellite channels over here (Fox Japan/Asia, Universal Channel [I was SO glad they didn't change SciFi Japan to some Siffy flavor!], etc.) all seem to buy the one-season discount specials. You get interested, then boom, it's done. It's a real pisser.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

There is some talk right now about SCC finishing up on a straight-to-DVD season 3. I hope that happens.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

How long have they been out of production now?

The last episode just aired over here a few weeks back; early March or so. :(

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

I think they did two seasons that ended in 2009.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Caught it. Kewl. We likes! :dance:

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”