What if the South had won

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

What if the South had won

Post by Omphalos »

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/CSA-Conf ... id=1640689

A pretty powerful speculative parody that uses some subtle metaphor. But as usual, I found myself wishing that the producers had a bigger budget.

Note that its sold as a "comedy." This is true only in the way that Candide was a comedy too, so don't expect to laugh much. Spike Lee was supposed to have something to do with this.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
merkin muffley

Re: What if the South had won

Post by merkin muffley »

The guy who made this brought the movie to Columbia and presented it. The best part of it is the advertisements for things like "Darkie" toothpaste, which are actually real modern day products. I can't remember much else of it :obscene-drinkingdrunk: :teasing-smokingcrack: , except that it definitely could have used a bigger budget, and is meant to be more disturbing than it is funny.

I get tired of fake documentaries that have dramatic things in them. It's cheating. This was good, though, and was mostly a satire.
Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

I thought it was entertaining. The commercials were a good laugh but I thought the political and military stuff was interesting, too.

http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?f ... csa#p35352
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Yeah I've seen that before. Pretty good stuff.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”