The Event

SF genre TV and Movie discussions
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

The Event

Post by Omphalos »

Anyone besides me watch this last night? Was not half bad. It's an espionage/US Marshalls/terrorism thriller with a group of scientists who apparently can do some pretty amazing things.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Re: The Event

Post by SandChigger »

I watched it. Only really enjoyed the last three or four minutes.

Skipped around worse than a McDune book. Maybe it'll get better, but since I'm flying back on Thursday morning, I won't know unless you tell me. :lol:
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Looks like an attempt to copy the style of Lost: an air of mystery dialed up to the nth degree, just another question every time you're on the verge of getting an answer, jumping around between different time frames, etc etc. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but really it's just the most blatant form of laziness.

I'm intrigued about who these prisoners are and what's going on. I'll give it a few more episodes and see how it goes, but it better get somewhere fast.
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Just saw an ad for next Monday's episode last night. They claimed that "everything will be answered!"

Buy that and I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

Just saw #2. I guess they did provide a few answers after all, although it's a little short of "everything." They confirmed the prisoners are "not of terrestrial origin," which was of course a prime suspicion during the first episode.

The flashbacks are getting extremely annoying. Some of them occur for no reason whatsoever, except "Lost did it, so it must be cool."
"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man in the midst of being ironic, it's not polite." -- Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

:lol=:

I have this on DVR to watch this weekend.

Robspierre
Archivist

Post by Robspierre »

DC Comics had some blathering about this show, possible superheroes?

Rob
Friends are the family we choose.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

Robspierre wrote:DC Comics had some blathering about this show, possible superheroes?

Rob
God I hope not. But hey, has anyone seen the ad for that new Michael Chicklis (sp?) show about the bepowered family? Looks worth a watch.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Liege-Killer wrote:They confirmed the prisoners are "not of terrestrial origin," which was of course a prime suspicion during the first episode.
Yeah, that wasn't too much of a leap, was it? :)

If I were still back in the States, though, I don't know if finding out about it this soon would kill a lot of the interest for me. (Mmm... yeah, probably would: I can feel it wilting as I type. :P )

(Just occurred to me: if the aliens can "disappear/displace" a moving airliner, why can't they rescue the "prisoners"? Or was it another group of prisoners who zapped the jet? I'm not really into this one, so don't worry about spoilers on my behalf. ;) )
Omphalos wrote:But hey, has anyone seen the ad for that new Michael Chicklis (sp?) show about the bepowered family? Looks worth a watch.
Might've been something else, but I think I caught one of those last week. Yeah, looked like it might be good for a laugh or two...
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Liege-Killer

Post by Liege-Killer »

SandChigger wrote: (Just occurred to me: if the aliens can "disappear/displace" a moving airliner, why can't they rescue the "prisoners"? Or was it another group of prisoners who zapped the jet? I'm not really into this one, so don't worry about spoilers on my behalf. ;) )
The ones who zapped the jet are part of the same overall group, but they weren't originally captured with the others and are living in the general population. So yeah, why can't they rescue their buddies? They certainly have the ability, so I'm thinking it's some kind of moral issue, like some sort of Prime Directive or some such. Hell, who knows?
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

Well, if they had some sort of Prime Directive, they blew it out the window with the jet routine, huh? ;)

Freakzilla
Archivist

Post by Freakzilla »

My wife started telling me about this show and I felt nauseous.

I'm going to have to get her on here.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Why did I first read that last as "I'm going to have to get on her in there." :shock:

Sure, I've a naturally dirty mind, but I think the last couple of years have primed me to expect that sort of comment from you.

:shifty:

reverendmotherQ.

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

My girlfriend is hellbent on finding out what the heck is going on but I watch it for maybe 15 minutes before my head splits.
The trailers are more entertaining than the actual show. My rule of thumb is if that is the case for more than 3 attempts at watching a show, then I'm done with it. :snooty:
But I did want to find out what interrogations where going to lead to. I would have been hooked if only I didn't have to suffer from unnecessary confusion in the process.
Liege-Killer wrote: They confirmed the prisoners are "not of terrestrial origin," which was of course a prime suspicion during the first episode.
I think I saw that coming from the way they have approached the show: everything is so mysterious to the point where you have no choice but to conclude that something "in the beyond" is causing it, and that includes a supernatural or alien possibility.

Return to “Genre TV and Movies”