[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
THE (ALMOST) UNDELETED • View topic - 20K Leagues Under the Sea, by Jules Verne

20K Leagues Under the Sea, by Jules Verne

Links to stories that you like and want to share

20K Leagues Under the Sea, by Jules Verne

Postby Omphalos » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:39 pm

Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Re: 20K Leagues Under the Sea, by Jules Verne

Postby Sev » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:04 am

This looks like the shoddy 1872 translation by Louis Mercier that cuts out almost a third of the original book - unfortunately it's also the one which is most widely available and read. If you look at the start of Chapter 2 Professor Aronnax writes "I had just returned from a scientific research in the disagreeable territory of Nebraska" - what Verne actually wrote was he'd been in the Badlands of Nebraska, a well-known geological terrain not a remark about its citizens :doh:

It's a shame that the most widely available Verne is a pale shadow of what he wrote...
"It was early 1974 before I made any attempt to read Dune. After forty pages I gave up. I couldn't get into the book. It seemed convoluted, opaque and full of strange language." - Brian "Bobo" Herbert
Sev

Return to Fiction Links