The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate

Links to stories that you like and want to share
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate

Post by Omphalos »

I read this one a bit ago, and I remember thinking that it was not as strong as his other stuff. But Chiang is, in case you haven't been paying attention, one of my very favorite authors. So to say that it is not his best is a far cry from saying its not good. This one WON a Nebula and was nominated for a Hugo. If you have not read this author before you should give him a try. Send me a PM if you like it and I can hook you up with two or three other stories.
Last edited by Omphalos on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

(This one won a Nebula. ;) )

I've got some things by him waiting in my SF wishlist on Amazon. All things in time.... :)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Arrakeen is an unawakened ghola.
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:(This one won a Nebula. ;) )

I've got some things by him waiting in my SF wishlist on Amazon. All things in time.... :)
Whatever. :roll: :wink:

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:wink:

Ooor, aren't we the tetchy one today. :)
"Chancho...sometimes when you are a man...you wear stretchy pants...in your room...alone."

"Politics is never simple, like the sand chigger of Arrakis, one is rarely truly free of its bite."

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

With you and Star Dust ganging up on poor ole' me, what else am I supposed to do?

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, bubba baby! I'm not ganging up on you with that mean ole nasty Star Dust! I'm just...gently tweeking you, to get you to express your full potential. A big guy like you, you must be full of something, and I prefer to think of it as potential! :lol:

What Chiang do you recommend for a beginner, btw?

(And how do you pronounce the name? From the way it's spelled, which looks like Wade-Giles, I'd say "Jang", Jiang in PinYin. ;) )

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Oh, bubba baby! I'm not ganging up on you with that mean ole nasty Star Dust! I'm just...gently tweeking you, to get you to express your full potential. A big guy like you, you must be full of something, and I prefer to think of it as potential! :lol:

What Chiang do you recommend for a beginner, btw?

(And how do you pronounce the name? From the way it's spelled, which looks like Wade-Giles, I'd say "Jang", Jiang in PinYin. ;) )
Sorry, Chig. Did not see this until today.

I think its actually pronounced Chang, but Im not sure. He lives in Bellevue, WA, where I spend a lot of time, and Ive been meaning to look him up and buy him lunch. And get all my shit signed!!!

Chiang has a collection out called Stories of Your Life, and Others. That is undoubtedly what you should get, as it is his only book. The novella posted above is the only other thing by him that you can buy. I think it was published by Subterranean Press, or maybe PS Publishing. Cant recall right now.

There are a number of stories on line too, and they are all good. I will try to get them up today. Story of Your Life is my favorite story, but they really are all good. It is all about linguistics, so I have always thought that it would have special meaning for you.

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

:D

Tanks, Omph. You're a mensch!

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote::D

Tanks, Omph. You're a mensch!
He's a human? :? I thought he was a big glowing circle...
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Actually...he ees a feeshy salamandancha! :lol:

A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:Actually...he ees a feeshy salamandancha! :lol:
You are making less sense with every post, it must be a strange morning for you. :?

I hope you let me off the hook for calling that salamader a fish some day... :oops:
I deleted some of your posts because they were derailing the topic and not focusing on the issues asked, and instead going after the authors or their material. That's why. ~ BM
SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

Ee's no reelly about jou anymore, mi muchacho. Ees more about how mucho I enhoy dees seely accento!

Oh, jes, señorita, can I hhhave anodder pees of feesh? Oh grassy ass!

HHHey, wade a menudo...dees ees no feesh! Dees ess salaMANDero! Ai perdito! Chihuahua mama! :twisted:

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Post by Omphalos »

What the hell are you two talking about :?:

SandChigger
Archivist

Post by SandChigger »

I'm sure Thang only knows.... :shock:

A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:I'm sure Thang only knows.... :shock:
I'm not even sure I know anymore :?

Anyways, feesh bad, salamandero good, and Omph is a mensh, not a glowing circle? Okay, I've got it straightened out again now. :D

Return to “Fiction Links”