[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
THE (ALMOST) UNDELETED • View topic - The Song of Roland

The Song of Roland

Links to stories that you like and want to share

The Song of Roland

Postby Pardot Kynes » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:40 pm

Pardot Kynes

Postby Star Dust » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:05 am

This isn't the same Roland that The Gunslinger was based on, was it?
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Star Dust

Postby Pardot Kynes » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:16 am

I wouldn't know :P
Pardot Kynes

Postby Omphalos » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:26 am

Perhaps. The main inspiration came from a poem by Robert Browning called "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came. At least for the first book. But I have not read this epic poem before, so there may very well be that King took some inspiration from this.

EDIT: I meant to say "Perhaps" instead of "Partly."
Last edited by Omphalos on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Something is about to happen, Hal. Something wonderful!

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

The Omphalos Umbrella Page
Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Postby Pardot Kynes » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:27 am

Nice to know. Now I just need to actually read the Dark Tower. Hehe.
Pardot Kynes

Postby Star Dust » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:38 am

Surprisingly good. I've never been a King fan, but nor have I ever been a King hater. After hearing so much about it, I finally read Dark Tower. Very good, very refreshing King-esque take on the genre.
DN banned: Sep 14, 2008
==================
Star Dust

Postby Omphalos » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:27 pm

The first book was incredibly good. I loved the mixture of fantasy, SF, wild west, all wrapped up in a great end-of-the-universe/entropy story. And later books are readable, but the quality goes down after the first book. The second to last was virtually unreadable, and I never even opened the last one before I chickened out and sold it.

-James C. Harwood, Science Fiction Writer, Straight (March 5, 1956 - May 25, 2010)

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Postby Pardot Kynes » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:23 pm

The main reason I haven't read it is because his writing quality has gone down a ton recently- the past decade or so.
There are tons of rumors why, but I think my favorite is that his nightmares are finally so horrific he cannot put them onto paper without driving himself mad, and so his writing is a recycling process of things he has done in the past that soothe him. Pretty neat idea, actually.
Pardot Kynes

Postby Omphalos » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:30 pm

Exactly. He has gotten so self-indulgent in his later years. Actually, I cant stand much from him that came out after The Stand.

Omphalos
Alien Overlord

Return to Fiction Links