Moderator: Freakzilla

Freakzilla
Archivist

Chapter 11

Post by Freakzilla »

I hear the wind blowing across the desert and I see the moons of a winter night
rising tike great ships in the void. To them I make my vow: I will be resolute
and make an art of government; I will balance my inherited past and become a
perfect storehouse of my relic memories. And I will be known for kindliness more
than for knowledge. My face will shine down the corridors of time for as long as
humans exist.

-Leto's Vow, After Harq al-Ada

Alia is contemplating her own possession. As a child she’d used the prana-bindu trance to strengthen her own persona against the hoard of her ancestors. As a Fremen, she couldn’t escape the spice. She envied the other Fremen who could release the built up pressures of their own ancestral memories in the spice orgy but there was no release for her. She was forced to confront the personas of all her ancestors and those shared by Jessica before birth. She had all the knowledge of a Reverend Mother and more before she was even born. Of course with this came the knowledge of her own abomination. She was able to keep her own persona intact through childhood but there were always intrusions from ancestors trying to live through her. That’s what she’ll be doing one day, trying to live through a descendant. She had no one to turn to for help. Jessica could only think of her as abomination, and Paul walked into the desert. Afterwards she married Hayt and Jessica fled to Caladan. She was left alone with the twins and in charge of the universe. In an attempt to deal with this pressure, she sought advice from Other Memory, this opened a flood of ancestors until finally the Baron appeared to her. Terrified, she was able to block it all out temporarily until one day they all attacked her and she feared she was going insane. Then the Baron offers to hold back the others if she would let him live through her occasionally. Thus Alia became possessed.
They were destroyed because they lied pretentiously. Have no fear that my wrath
will fall upon you because of your innocent mistakes.

~Leto II, God Emperor

Return to “Children of Dune”